Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love remote central locking. I need my keys to lock my car so I've never locked them in. Best invention ever!

Comment

I'm a locksmith.

Don't get me started on the entitlement whores that have lost (or locked in) keys.
      Since we don't have access to the niffty VIN#/key code databases the dealers do, at 2am we have to go about making keys the hard way, ie. taking some locks apart and putting back together. 'Tis is labor intensive, thus higher charges apply, especially at 2am.

I have people routinley asking demanding we do the service for the dealer pricing. Pffft, it's 2 am, you want dealer pricing, wait till 8am or monday when the dealer opens.

Comment

Quoth Javarod View Post

As to Kwikset, I'd be surprised if they weren't easy to break into, heck, just walk down the block with your house key trying doors, bet you'll open a few. Back when I worked at K-Mart during high school, I worked in Sportomotive (yes, that was the department), KW-1, Dexter 7 and one other used the same key, and I graduated class of 90, care to guess how many millions of those locks are out there? Prolly several times more than there are different keys.
        For the most part, locks just keep honest people, honest.

If somebody really wants your stuff, they'll find a way to get it. I don't advocate leaving stuff unlocked, but I'm also not going to invest in a $500 lock to protect my $100 computer.
        Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

Quoth Primer View Post
          For the most part, locks just keep honest people, honest.

If somebody really wants your stuff, they'll find a way to get it. I don't advocate leaving stuff unlocked, but I'm also not going to invest in a $500 lock to protect my $100 computer.
          Chuckles and nods, "In this case, imagine a landlord that has to replace all those lost, broken or stolen keys, change locks, etc, it adds up, so the price is the important thing."
          Seph
          Taur10
          "You're supposed to be the head of covert intelligence. Right now, I'm not seeing a hell of a lot of intelligence. Covert, overt, or otherwise!"-Lochley, B5, A View from the Gallery

Comment

Quoth MTNLaurelPoacher View Post
            It is easy to loose a key, it is pretty hard to loose track of a parked car. ( Oh lord... now that I have typed that there are going to be 1000 stories of people loosing track of parked cars.)
            well, my grandma lost her car before... well no, she knew exactly where it was... it was behind a white truck

oh, and I love my keys... they are completely remote, I walk up to my car, the car senses the key in my pocket so when I push the unlock button on the side of my car and it unlocks, I get in the car senses the key inside the car I turn the ignition and the car starts without ever taking my key out of my pocket (making it very hard to lose).
            If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Quoth wagegoth View Post
              Bet she doesn't look a bit like Sigourney Weaver.
              Actually, it was Rick Moranis' character who was The Keymaster. Weaver's was The Gatekeeper. [/nerd mode]
              I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
              My LiveJournal
              A page we can all agree with!

Comment

XCashier - thank you that post now makes sense . . . .

but I have to ask - "Who ya gonna call . . . ."

Comment

i keep a spare in me waletzz =3

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
                    at my bf's apartment... I think it's 20,000 ¥ to get the key replaced (about $200)... but that might be for the special key with the RF chip. Yeah, the apartments in this area use RFID for a few things, like the front door and elevator. I kinda wish the normal key would operate the elevator too, but with the chip it can restrict you to only taking the lift up to the floor you live on. (There's a stairwell at least for us people who only use the regular key)
                    That's actually really cheap- apparently if we lose one of our keycards, it'll be 45000 ¥ to replace it. However, there are no keys to our apartment at all- the keycard opens the downstairs and the apartment. You can't get at either the stairs or the elevator without the keycard, so it's reasonably secure.

Would you believe I no longer own ANY keys?? Not owning a car takes some getting used to, but it's much easier to keep track of two keycards which fit in my wallet than an enormous keyring, which used to reside at the very bottom of my purse, of course. I used to 'lose' my car keys all the time, but it was just a case of 'dump out the purse, fish out keys, dump everything back into purse,' which I certainly don't blame on anything but my own piss-poor organisational skills.
                    Arsenic is 'natural'. Hemlock is 'organic'.

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
                      Actually, it was Rick Moranis' character who was The Keymaster. Weaver's was The Gatekeeper. [/nerd mode]

Neither do I actually
                      Too short. Yeah that is the only difference between me and Sigourney Weaver....
                      "smacked upside the head by the harsh of daylight" - Tori Amos "The Beauty of Speed"

a sucking chest wound is merely mother nature's way of telling you to slow down - Arm

Comment

I have lost my keys several times. I'm better than I used to be, but after paying a locksmith, twice, to get my truck opened, I found another way.

My hand was small enough to reach through the grill. On the other side of the grill was the cord that popped the hood. I'd tug on that, lift the hood, and stick my hand into the hollow of the frame. Which is where I'd put a magnet box with my spare key.

Now I keep my keys on this frickin' huge clip and my BF has a spare set. It's expensive to have a spare set of keys made for his car, electronic key & all, but it's worth it & a heck of lot cheaper than paying a locksmith.
                        I'm sorry, the person to whom you were speaking has been replaced by a recording. Please leave your message at the sound of the beep.

Comment

Working...
                        X