This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All you can eat specials

My wife and I ate at the local Sonny's this past weekend, which we normally don't do with just ourselves. Normally, we have to take the kids along, but this time, we had a respite from it. Until now, I always thought Sonny's was one of the last places the retirees would eat at, because they never advertise having a seniors menu. Other places we went, like Outback, Chili's, and Applebee's, were crowded with a least a thirty minute wait. So, we decided to go to Sonny's, because you can always find a seat there.

When we arrived, there were plenty of places to sit, and we saw they had an all you can eat chicken special for $6.99. It's normally $11.99 there, so we took advantage of this. Well, around 6pm, a sea of white-haired people began pouring into the place, because they had all seen on the TV about this special. 6pm is usually the time that the seniors get their specials at other restaurants, so they must have all thought this was the time they could get it. My wife and I arrived at around 5pm, and thank God we had finished our meal by the time they started coming in.

Here's the sucky part. Not all seniors came in at 6. A few came in before, although not that many. Two white-haired guys were at the register, paying on seperate checks, but they had forgotten to tell the cashier to do that. So, I had to wait for them to decide who had what, who was paying for what, how much each was leaving for the tip, then which credit card would be used for all of this. It took five long minutes before this was straightened out.

Now, I'm fully aware the seniors will eat at any restaurant, including barbeque places. My assumption that they all eat filet mignon every night as well as drink Dom Perignon is now set aside. If they have senior discounts, or have all you can eat specials, they all flock there!
    Last edited by greensinestro; 01-30-2008, 01:59 PM.

That reminds me of a news story I read a while ago.

A band named "Free Hot Lunch" was doing a free concert in a park and the place got mobbed by seniors that didn't read the entire article.

All you can eat + senior discount = sea of white haired people.

Funny thing is, it does not seem to be budgetary since most of them drive up in cars way nicer than I can afford.
    I feel crazy. Like I'm drunk and trapped in a water globe and someone won't stop shaking it.
    -The Amazing E
    Zonies social group now open!

Comment

Quoth wanderingjoe72 View Post
      That reminds me of a news story I read a while ago.

A band named "Free Hot Lunch" was doing a free concert in a park and the place got mobbed by seniors that didn't read the entire article.

All you can eat + senior discount = sea of white haired people.

Funny thing is, it does not seem to be budgetary since most of them drive up in cars way nicer than I can afford.
      My guess is the reason they can afford the cars is because they use all the discounts
      at restaurants to save a few bucks.
      Honey and Thorns ~ Handmade Knit and Jewelry

Comment

Yeah, same here! Many of the cars we saw in the parking lot upon leaving were Mercedes Benzes, Cadillacs, Lexuses, etc. I drove up in a Nissan SUV, and it started to look out of place once they all began arriving.

Comment

I'm old...Gimmie Gimmie Gimmie...
          My Karma ran over your dogma.

Comment

Whatever, when I'm old, gray and wrinkled you bet your ass I'm still going to use my seniors discount, luxury car or not.

Comment

That is known as the "retirement car." They buy the biggest, fanciest car they can afford just as they retire. Then the men usually drop dead within a year of retiring and the women end up driving the cars, badly.
              Labor boards have info on local laws for free
              HR believes the first person in the door
              Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
              Document everything
              CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Quoth wagegoth View Post
                Then the men usually drop dead within a year of retiring and the women end up driving the cars, badly.
                *Jumps secxsily in front of da [potentially oncoming] bullet*

Which isn't to say that all women are bad drivers. Just, today's senior woman is much more likely to have grown up riding in the passenger seat while her husband drove, as per cultural norms 30 or 40 years ago, and it's common for the husband to continue to be the "designated driver" so to speak for tradition's sake.

Thus, those senior women with drivers' licenses are likely out of practice, and may never have driven a boat-like Cadillac before. Not to mention reaction times and mental faculties that may have been degraded by age and/or other reasons.

(Takes off the "NOT A MOD / PEACEKEEPER" hat. )
                "I'm not a crazed gunman, dad, I'm an assassin... Well, the difference being one is a job and the other's mental sickness!" -The Sniper

Comment

Not to mention they need all that metal around them to protect them from the accidents they sometimes create.
                  Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth digilight View Post
                    I'm old...Gimmie Gimmie Gimmie...
                    Where's Grandpa Simpson? I heard his voice!!!!!!
                    Unseen but seeing
                    oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                    There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                    3rd shift needs love, too
                    RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

My customers are 80% seniors. so they will raise hell if you don't give them that sr. discount. i just wish they would put that extra 80 cents towards their tip.
                      My sanity has been dripping out of me my whole life, today they turned on the faucet.....

Comment

Okay, I think that's enough bashing old people. No one's even touched on the (very briefly mentioned) suck of making people wait while they divvy up a bill at the register, so the whole thing's been off-topic. Closing it now.
                        Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Working...
                        X