This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post
    I should bust out the whole Rebecca Susanna Graciella Vanessa Maria Ameila...damn, I'm forgetting a couple of names.
    ...Angelina Bovina Rommana Franscesca Banana Fana Fo Fresca the Third!

The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
    "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
    Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Well, I only use fake names when I'm at the location - usually some variation on Corwyn. It's more easily remembered.

I don't often call in to places, but if I did, I'd use my real name.
      The Case of the Missing Mandrake; A Jude Derry, Sorceress Sleuth Mystery Available on Amazon.

Comment

At the local Laser Tag place they take your name (everyone makes up really tough-sounding names) and after the game give you a printout saying how many people you killed, and who killed you. It went like this:

You shot RAMBO 4 times.
        You were shot by RAMBO 6 times.

In college one of my friends always tried to put his name in as "Your Gay Lover", so on the sheet it would say, "You were shot by YOUR GAY LOVER _ times." The Laser Tag employees never bought it, too bad!

(I always put my name in as "Aya Brea", if anyone wants to know).

There is also a local diner that calls out people's names when their orders are ready, and my friends and I always give them X-Men names. You can tell the cool people from the uncool people this way (the cool people recognize the names!)
        https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

Quoth Sliceanddice View Post
          which is why i said call me i always give my number.
          But put yourself in the clerk's shoes.

If I am taking the order and ask for a name for reference, if they give me what sounds like an obviously fake name, and feel it could be a prankster, why should I have to call back to verify that it's legitimate?

Why is it so hard just to give your name if it's a legitimate order?

Honestly. The paranoia of people nowadays. I just don't get it.

I'm not ashamed of my family name, and in fact, I'm rather proud of it, so I guess I find the refusal to give one's real name just a little bit odd. (Maybe it's my small town Canada upbringing.)
          Last edited by Ree; 01-31-2008, 09:56 PM.
          Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

some people just dont particulary care if they give fake name unless someone is checking ID
            if your doign a pickup pizza name is for sorting purposes only so why bother always giving your real name have some fun say your kevin bacon

Comment

Yeah, I can see doing it for fun, like the case of the OP, but to be so militant about, "Why do they need my real name?"
              That is something I guess I won't understand.
              Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

Quoth AnaKhouri View Post
                In college one of my friends always tried to put his name in as "Your Gay Lover", so on the sheet it would say, "You were shot by YOUR GAY LOVER _ times." The Laser Tag employees never bought it, too bad!
                This is how my brother and I made some enemies playing Halo online a while back. I used to play as A Girl - i.e. "you were killed by a girl!"
                "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

No shame at all - as I said earlier, people sometimes have problems with my given name. Something about the combination of my voice and the name itself make it difficult for some people to hear correctly unless I over-enunciate.

So when I give a different name, I'm trying to avoid that issue. I go with fake names because they're more distinctive and less likely to be shared by another customer.
                  The Case of the Missing Mandrake; A Jude Derry, Sorceress Sleuth Mystery Available on Amazon.

Comment

Also, this thread made me realize how bad I feel for anyone who's parents were dumb/had a crap sense of humor and named their child after someone famous/something that sounds like a prank.

Ree - the above thinking is what makes me think it'd be worth it to call back. Unless it's a kid who is giggling the entire time during the call and makes it obvious it's a prank, what right is it of mine to assume that's not the name your parents gave you?
                    "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

lol, i would love to do that some day =3

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
                        ...Angelina Bovina Rommana Franscesca Banana Fana Fo Fresca the Third!
                        I'm sure a few of those are in there, too.

Quoth myswtghst View Post
                        Also, this thread made me realize how bad I feel for anyone who's parents were dumb/had a crap sense of humor and named their child after someone famous/something that sounds like a prank.
                        I went to HS with a guy named Thomas Thomas. I'm assured he got his ass kicked in elementary school. Poor guy. His PARENTS should've gotten the ass kicking.
                        Unseen but seeing
                        oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                        There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                        3rd shift needs love, too
                        RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Thomas Thomas isn't so bad...a kid at my high school was named Saddam Hussein! He was an immigrant, so I assume he planned to get a new name on his American certificate.
                          "If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking." - George Patton

"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." - Albert Einstein

Comment

Quoth myswtghst View Post
                            Unless it's a kid who is giggling the entire time during the call and makes it obvious it's a prank, what right is it of mine to assume that's not the name your parents gave you?
                            Quite right, and I know two people who ARE named Abraham Lincoln (father and son, so Sr. and Jr.) so it is not impossible that it would be someone's real name...and both of them are very proud to be named after the presidental Abraham Lincoln.

LZ

Comment

my first name is jessica. I usually use a fake name of jessica rabbitt when i dont feel like giving my real name out.
                              My sanity has been dripping out of me my whole life, today they turned on the faucet.....

Comment

back last century when i worked at the pizzapizza place we had to request phone numbers - not just for pickup confirmation, but to also call back in case something goes wrong.

it always surprised me when people were like "my number is unlisted, i refuse to gie it to you... my number is 123" maybe they thought we were actually going to use the number - and who knows, the little receipt thingies went off to who knows where, so maybe corporate did use them... i just doubt it.

it just struck me as ... odd. sometimes i just wanted to say to them... "um, ok whatever. you're not famous so i really dont care what your number is." but i was in my teens back then and ... wasn't as rude as i can be today

but for giving out my own name... i usually use my middle name cos ... maybe it's my allergies but when i say my first name they usually screw it up anyway. and... heh, it's always fun using my out-of-town cell number for call-backs when i dont really care
                                Last edited by PepperElf; 02-01-2008, 08:47 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X