Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would just like to thank the OP for mentioning which country she's in and what the tipping culture of that country is; and to thank all of you for remaining mostly on the topic of how to deal with friends who don't tip in a tipping culture. I'm impressed!

For those of you with tipping questions or who want to debate tipping in general, there is a tipping thread in Fratching. It's under 'Things I hate' and is called 'what is it about tipping?'

If your question or comment doesn't seem to fit in that thread, feel free to start another thread. I can see tipping issues belonging under 'Social Woes' or 'Clash of Cultures' as well.

Seshat.
    Seshat's self-help guide:
    1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
    2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
    3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
    4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth marty View Post
      But I tip everyone if I get good service. And that's why I'm poor.
      Hehe, you're in my boat.... I really think I made the delivery guy's night tonight wen he showed up and I gave him exact change (20.13) for the pizza and then tossed in a five. He looked rather confused, surprised and asked me if I was sure. And I was, because A. That's what I usually give, and B. We got snow and ice and just general winter mess last night, so the roads, while plowed, were still probably a pain.

Quoth Flood View Post
      Once, one guy started to get in an argument with our regular waiter, but the Storyteller pulled him aside, talked very sternly with him, docked him XP, and made him go back and apologize.
      *Whimpers* Noooo! *Holds tightly to XP* Now he'll have to wait another week for Beast Form! *Ducks* Sorry, LARPer and other types of gamer here. *Pets character sheets*
      Last edited by Broomjockey; 02-03-2008, 05:02 AM. Reason: multi-quote please

Comment

I normaly tip 15%-20% for eat in sit down resturants. Do any of the waiter/waitress know if there's a standard tip for "to-go" orders? They take my order, I'm not even at a table, and to-go orders usualy come out in 10-15 min. Some places make you pay right as you order so even if it does suck they still have a nice tip. Any recomendations from the wait staff?
        Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.
        The following is subject to change:
        If Your Going Through Hell,
        Keep Going...

Comment

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid View Post
          Where do you live where servers get that kind of money? Here, it's something like 2 bucks and some small change. It was 2.13 when I waited tables.
          Rerant's from Toronto, if her location's accurate. Frankly, Ontario's minimum wage is a joke. Alberta's up to $8, last I heard.
          Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Back in my youth, I too was not a tipper, figuring they were paid to do the job, why should I pay extra. I was disabused of this notion by my wife shortly after we met, and became a good tipper. After reading a local newspaper columnist's views on tipping, I became an even better tipper after reading that old fogies always tip 10-15%, but the "with it" crowd were the 20% tippers. I didn't want to be thought of as an old fogie, so I have been tipping 20% plus ever since, and have seen the benefits of doing so. We frequently get complimentary after dinner drinks, and an occasional dessert, not to mention excellent service. There is a lot to be said for being an excellent tipper.
            "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid View Post

Servers do not make minimum wage. They make a SERVERS'S minimum wage, usually around 2 or 3 bucks per hour.
              $6.95 (I was wrong when I said $6.85) IS the server's minimum wage here.

Rerant's from Toronto, if her location's accurate. Frankly, Ontario's minimum wage is a joke. Alberta's up to $8, last I heard.
              Ontario minimum wage is $8.
              According to this: (http://www.labour.gov.on.ca/english/...7/07-63b3.html) Alberta is currently tied for last place with New Brunswick and Newfoundland and Labrador at $7.

I don't get what part of Ontario's minimum wage is a joke. I think it's rather fair, actually.
              Last edited by rerant; 02-05-2008, 03:15 AM.

Comment

Quoth rerant View Post
                $6.95 IS the server's minimum wage here.

Ontario minimum wage is $8.
                According to this: (http://www.labour.gov.on.ca/english/...7/07-63b3.html) Alberta is currently tied for last place with New Brunswick and Newfoundland and Labrador at $7.
                Your info's old. It's $8. And I was going on the assumption that $6.95 was the minimum wage, as I didn't realize we actually HAD that weird practice of paying servers less. Seems fair enough then. $8 across the board.
                Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

GRR....stupid thing signed me out.

So now I'll write a shorter version.

1) I usually put aside 20.00 for food delivery. The closer it is to that amount the smaller the tip, only because I'm low on funds.

2) I had a friend once who ordered 75.00 worth of food at a restaurant. I order 25.00 worth of food. They make 1000 per week and have no major expenses outside of rent and the like. I make 100 per week, and have to pay for books and tuition etc.

Anyway they wanted to split the tip 50/50 so that it would be 10.00 a piece. So they would save 5.00. I would end up paying 40%, but what did that matter to them. It ended up being a HUGE fight. I ended up making a huge speech to my dining companion about my financial situation.

And for the record, I tipped the girl 6.00.
                  Hinakiba777- Student of Divinity-Always trying to get laid.

Annoying student=I pay tuition here so I pay your salary!
                  Desk Worker=I pay tuition here, too. So I guess I pay myself.

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
                    That's great! It brings to mind the DM for a fairly hardcore AD&D (1st ed.) game who offered 2000 XP to anyone who whould help him move. XP can move the world sometimes.
                    Thats flipping awesome! Granted I didn't get into 1 ed as much since my DM ran 3 ed, but 2k XP ftw!
                    Girls do not exist on the intarweb.

Comment

Ah, OP has been hit by one of my pet peeves. Two of them actually. People who don't tip when they get good, or at least decent, service and people who claim 'you tipped enough for both of us'.

1) here in the US, you know that servers get crap wages because they are supposed to make up the difference in tips (you've met R, she worked full-time through college as a waitress, you've heard her rants, so don't claim you didn't know this)

2) In this area, 15% is the standard for tipping; I know that you know this, too (see above note about R, a woman of firm opinions who starts tipping at 20%) I forgive my mother for starting at 10% because she's an older generation and is *ahem* frugal (& I sneak extra onto the table after she's left)

3) if I choose to tip more because I perceive better service, that's my prerogative, don't poach part of what I've tipped.

There are two people with whom I will never go out to eat with again, unless it's a self-serve establishment, because of the above. To make dealing with our large party easier, I paid for the bill on my card and everyone gave me money. So, those two not tipping at all, came out of my minimum wage pocket. I was not going to tip less than $15 on a $70+ meal because of two cheapskates. But I wasn't going to do it again, either. On the bright side, one of the others at dinner realized and she helped me out. She also will not go out to eat with those two again.
                      I'm sorry, the person to whom you were speaking has been replaced by a recording. Please leave your message at the sound of the beep.

Comment

Quoth TryNotToBeThatOne View Post

There are two people with whom I will never go out to eat with again, unless it's a self-serve establishment, because of the above. To make dealing with our large party easier, I paid for the bill on my card and everyone gave me money. So, those two not tipping at all, came out of my minimum wage pocket. I was not going to tip less than $15 on a $70+ meal because of two cheapskates. But I wasn't going to do it again, either. On the bright side, one of the others at dinner realized and she helped me out. She also will not go out to eat with those two again.
                        I don't blame you at all. I'm thankful that the people I dine with are decent tippers.

Here in Ohio, I think servers still make 2.13 an hour (unless it went up) and alot of non-tipping assholes don't realize that even if they don't tip, the waitress still has to tip out a percentage of the non-tip to bussers and runners (in some establishments). So in essence, the server is actually PAYING to serve assholes like that.

When I served, I used to get checks that said 'not a check' because all of it went to the government for taxes. I used to LOVE the tables that I busted my butt on and ended up having to tip out on ZERO.
                        "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

I just found out my SO doesn't always tip

He goes to Dennys at night and allegedly he says he doesn't get good service because of his age and the time of night- claims the servers presume he will just drink coffee all night and not tip- so he doesn't.

We went round and round about this for hours!

Luckily, I think he was just yanking my chain, at least mostly.... every time I've been out with him he's tipped well. But just to be safe, I'm not lending him money for dining out anymore without extracting a promise that he'll tip at least 10% even if he gets poor service and 20% for good service. Denny's is such a shite place to work I think non-tipping is never justified there, because chances are your server is having a bad day. Every day.
                          My basic dog food advice - send a pm if you need more.

Saydrah's leaving the nest advice + packing list live here.

Comment

To be fair though I don't think anyone should be expected to tip for poor service.

Comment

Quoth kibbles View Post
                              To be fair though I don't think anyone should be expected to tip for poor service.

I completely agree. And most decent servers/bartenders would agree with you also.

Any server who thinks people should tip for shitty service is probably a shitty server.
                              "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

The bf and I usually tip like this, "Do you have any singles?" "Yeah." "Okay, you tip then." And we usually tip 20%, which in North GA, is pretty damn good. Most of the rednecks around here think that a tip is $2 no matter how expensive the bill was.
                                Check out my cosplay social group!
                                http://customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=18

Comment

Working...
                                X