This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using me for your kid's life lessons

Background: I used to work for a large Canadian Coffee/donut chain that shall remain nameless located in a very affluent Columbus suburb chock full of nuveau (sp?) rich. There was this one super sucky customer who we all called "the Pirate" because she liked to wear a scarf over her head and big hoop earings. This lady would come in frequently with her 3 kids all under the age of 10. These kids would all shout their food demands at you at the same time while the Pirate yakked at the top of her lungs on her cell phone (you all know the type) and you would have to wait until she ended her phone call before you could finish her order. There are all sorts of suck surrounding her but I will tell you the most memorable.

M: Moi
    P: Pirate

The scene: At the sandwich station preparing soups and sammiches for people. I am working on the Pirate's order and the franchise owner's daughter is standing by me getting my soups for the order. The pirate and her kids are standing there watching me make their order.

P: Hey kids, maybe when you are older you can come and work here. This job will teach you many things you will learn responsibility, how to work with others...

[it's at this point that I am thinking she may be human]

...and you will learn how to save money because when you work here you won't be making any money (gives me a haughty stare).

M:

The pirate and her brood take their orders and go sit down and go about their usual trashing of the restuarant but that's beside the point. I still cannot believe that walking fashion victim had the nerve to say that to her kids in front of us. For all she knows we could be millionaires just working because we like it.

For all she knows we could be millionaires just working because we like it.
    I know a few folks who don't have to work ... and yet, still do. They wouldn't be caught dead in your job. They all have jobs where they don't have to deal with the retail public. I'm pretty sure this is intentional.

(PS: if someone reads this as a slam on the OP, please re-read)
    "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

I know that if I had enough money that I didn't have to work I would still work. I might even stay where I am.

Comment

too bad you can't tell the kids: "But, you also have to put up with people looking down their noses at you too"

Comment

Yeah, nowhere in my "if I win a bazillion dollars in the lottery" plans does it say anything about retiring, although I'd definitely quit my current job.
          The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

I would have told her "You should stop spending so much money here and focus on not looking like such a haggard goose."
            You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

"Yeah kids, you should come work here! I love my job. I meet such interesting people! *stare at mother like she's a zoo exhibit*

Comment

Quoth zara1269 View Post
                P: Hey kids, maybe when you are older you can come and work here. This job will teach you many things you will learn responsibility, how to work with others...

[it's at this point that I am thinking she may be human]

...and you will learn how to save money because when you work here you won't be making any money (gives me a haughty stare).
                Working at a fast food joint (not one in your chain) was probably one of the best things I've ever done. Yeah, I wasn't going to retire on my first paycheck, but who cares?

1) I was in high school--my needs didn't really extend to anything other than saving up for a PS2.
                2) It taught me time management, food handling skills, interpersonal skills, safety, and what makes a good employee and what makes a good manager.
                3) I was able to interact with some really great people, some not-so-great people, and have a good time at work.
                4) It inspired me to "be all that I could be" and to try to make something of myself--burger flipping was not something that I wanted to spend my life doing.

On a completely unrelated note, I had no idea that Txx Hxxxxx'x had a chain in Columbus. I knew that they had some in markets close to Canada--Michigan, upstate New York, Vermont--but I didn't know that they extended that far south.
                I pray for the strength to change what I can, the inability to change what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference -Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes

Being a pessimist and cynical wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't right so often!

Comment

Spiffy - there's actually one even further south - in Monroe, Ohio which is about 30 miles north of Cincinnati.
                  "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

Quoth Peppergirl View Post
                    Spiffy - there's actually one even further south - in Monroe, Ohio which is about 30 miles north of Cincinnati.
                    Huh. It's 12:00 midnight, and I learned something. Does this get counted as the one thing I've learned for Feb 6. or Feb 7? Or is it .5 over two days?
                    I pray for the strength to change what I can, the inability to change what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference -Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes

Being a pessimist and cynical wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't right so often!

Comment

Plenty of said Canadian businesses in Michigan Spiffy. Especially in the southeast region.

Also, Spiffy I got a job for reason #1 except substitute it for a guitar.
                      The Grand Galactic Inquisitor hears all and sees all.

Comment

Quoth marasbaras View Post
                        I know a few folks who don't have to work ... and yet, still do. They wouldn't be caught dead in your job. They all have jobs where they don't have to deal with the retail public. I'm pretty sure this is intentional.

(PS: if someone reads this as a slam on the OP, please re-read)
                        No slam taken by me! I know the lady was being malicious. If I got rich I certainly wouldn't have worked there (or worked at all-I'd be too busy lying in a hammock on some beach )

On a completely unrelated note, I had no idea that Txx Hxxxxx'x had a chain in Columbus. I knew that they had some in markets close to Canada--Michigan, upstate New York, Vermont--but I didn't know that they extended that far south
                        Actually the American Headquarters are located in a Columbus subburb. They are rapidly popping up in this area almost to the point of saturation.
                        Last edited by zara1269; 02-07-2008, 10:33 AM.

Comment

Quoth Spiffy McMoron View Post
                          Huh. It's 12:00 midnight, and I learned something. Does this get counted as the one thing I've learned for Feb 6. or Feb 7? Or is it .5 over two days?
                          It's also conveniently located across the street from the Hustler Hollywood store.

Not that I would ever go there.
                          "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

Quoth zara1269 View Post

M:

The pirate and her brood take their orders and go sit down
                            Oh lord did you miss a golden opportunity.

When you gave her the food, you should have responded "Arggghhhh Matey here be your grub!!"

I guarantee she wouldn't have gotten it, given the fact that she sounds like a deep thinker, and just thought you were wierd.
                            Just because a customer expects you to put some effort into your job, that does not make them an SC.

Comment

Good thing they'll be learning more about saving money than your atrocious lack of fashion sense, ya bink!
                              You can find me on Backloggery, Facebook, Twitch, Twitter, YouTube

Comment

Working...
                              X