X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth blas87 View Post
    Large breast discount
    More common than you might think. Men are stupid.

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth Pezzle View Post
      At which point I'd chuckle because Corporal is only two ranks above Private E-2. If he said Sergeant Major for an Enlisted NCO or Lieutenant as a CO, then maybe I'd be a little more impressed. And he'd still get the same damn discount.
      To me rank doesnt matter at all. I used to work on post and it always pissed me off to see people pull rank on each other just to cut in line. When you work on post its 100% id check if not in uniform I had an Lieutenant get all mad at me cuz he didnt have his id. Goes to his car gets it and slams it on my counter and tell me By the way officers dont lie I got so pissed off I couldnt help myself. I told him "yes I belive you but people do lie just ask the 2nd Lieutenant they just caught for soliciting a child over the internet."It shut him up and everytime he came in after that he was always a sweetheart. Im surprised I never got fired over it lol

Comment

Quoth iviles View Post
        To me rank doesnt matter at all. I used to work on post and it always pissed me off to see people pull rank on each other just to cut in line. When you work on post its 100% id check if not in uniform I had an Lieutenant get all mad at me cuz he didnt have his id. Goes to his car gets it and slams it on my counter and tell me By the way officers dont lie I got so pissed off I couldnt help myself. I told him "yes I belive you but people do lie just ask the 2nd Lieutenant they just caught for soliciting a child over the internet."It shut him up and everytime he came in after that he was always a sweetheart. Im surprised I never got fired over it lol
        And that's the way it should be. A simple enlisted MP on post would have to check the ID of the Sgt Major of the Army and he'd be expected to deny him entry too!

Comment

whether or not it does not seem just, a military discount is done by people that have a greater appreiation (spelling) for members of the military, remember the old phrase, a smart person is dumb in large numbers, it really is opposite in the military, there are jerks as individuals but the discount is to pay trubite for the most important thing, the first thing you see, the uniform. as far as the teacher discount i think that is also a great idea, and different discounts for different occupations should be provided, not all by a single shop but one type here, another there etc,
          i myself as a national guardsman and a full time student enjoy 2 different discounts for things like movie tickets and some food, the military discount isn't offered that much and getting upset for merely asking isn't sucky, how they may react to the answer is.
          finally consider this , as a guardsman and a student, different organizations TARGET soldiers and students: loan corpations , scams, these are just a few of the many that target our soldiers and even students , so why not throw a little bone???
          btw there are always going to be a few bad ones in such a large organization, remember though, their uniform is always first even if the one wearing it is a jerk

Comment

The only time i've ever been confused by a discount was when a store in our town had a sign posted saying they had a millitary discount, but they would refuse the discount to the spouse of the military member. I didn't get upset though. What does upset me is generalizations. "all enlisted" "all officer" "All admin" "all infantry" Sucky customers are sucky customers.
            Shamus: Why hasn't anybody designs a cranium-anus extraction kit yet? It seems that so many people suffer from a improperly-stored head.

Comment

This thread reminds me, since I'll be working FOR the military, but not enlisted, would that actually qualify me for military discounts? I know the bagel store by the base I'll be working at gives discounts to fort employees, but I don't think my sister has tried anywhere else.
              "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

Quoth habitofbeingright View Post
                but the discount is to pay trubite for the most important thing, the first thing you see, the uniform.

btw there are always going to be a few bad ones in such a large organization, remember though, their uniform is always first even if the one wearing it is a jerk
                The discount is most certainly not a tribute and I do not put the uniform first. It's that attitude that will eventually result in the removal of the discount.

The uniform is NOT the important thing. The attitude of the individual is.

Comment

The other day at work, I was in Military Hell.

Since we have a naval air base here, there are a lot of miiltary folk here. And The Bar does offer a military discount, which is the same as our local discount.

Well, yesterday at work, I had several large tables of military groups. Most wanted separate checks. Which they told me AFTER I had rung everything up. All paid with credit cards. Running five separate credit cards does take longer. Almost all of them, after I had given them good service, provided them with great food, given them their discount AND their separate checks....tipped me jack shit. I.e. 10% or less. One guy just stiffed me outright. I wanted to pull my hair out.

The above should not be taken as an indictment of the military or military personnel in general. Just an indictment of the idiots I had at The Bar yesterday. In the restaurant industry, the military DOES have a bit of a reputation for being cheap assholes, but of course the bad apples stand out more than the good ones. I have many times stated my respect for the military, and the fact that a bunch of them are idiots does not negate my respect for the institution, just for the individuals in question.

On the plus side, in my experience here most senior officers and jet pilots are fantastic people and fantastic tippers, and couldn't be more of a joy to wait on. But some of the grunts....ugh. Spare me.

Quoth Greenday View Post
                  This thread reminds me, since I'll be working FOR the military, but not enlisted, would that actually qualify me for military discounts? I know the bagel store by the base I'll be working at gives discounts to fort employees, but I don't think my sister has tried anywhere else.
                  Generally, at the places I have worked that offer a military discount, all you have to do is show your military ID. If you have one (member, spouse, contractor), you get the discount. If you don't have a military ID, you don't.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                  Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth iviles View Post
                    Why should you get fired for making sure a terrorist doesn't take the next step??
                    When it comes to getting things done, we need fewer architects and more bricklayers. ---Colleen C. Barrett---

Comment

I do, personally, believe that military members who are being told to move or ship out should recieve discounts. They get paid pretty much jackshit to do the job that looks great at first with bonus offers and such. Then they get to trek in the desert wilderness with creepy ass spiders and who knows what else, all while getting shot at by pissed off extremists...yeah they should get discounts BUT not if they are just screwing off on leave. I had have retired men who are ancient ask for the military discount...um...I am happy you are a veteran but you are also no longer serving. They even have an ID that says "retired"...prolly used for the V.A. Hospital.
                      When it comes to getting things done, we need fewer architects and more bricklayers. ---Colleen C. Barrett---

Comment

As an ex miltairy man myself I don't like getting a discount or believe I should. I am already on Perm. Injury and the money I get from that I am very grateful for. Sure the pay sucks in the military but when you have nothing to spend it on (food, accom, clothing) it works out great as long as you aren't an alcoholic or druggo.

I used to get a discount at a few restaurants when I was in uniform. I never expect it.

the whole 'I was this and I did that' excuse is bullshit. Yes I salute you but no I'm not going to take money from my bosses pockets. I support the RSL and am a member, I donate to them aswell (most of my kit is in a museum that just opened in town).

As for Doctor discount and crap like that. Get a life, you earn WAY too much money to be a smug asshole who tells people not to smoke then gets caught out the back sucking down a nicotine stick. Pay you're way, or is your BMW run on liquid gold and costs a fortune to run?

Rant finished.
                        SC:What makes you think you can tell me how to do this?
                        ME:Because I finished Pre-school, Elementary School, High School
                        and College first time. Now: Red wire is positive.

Comment

I had a general manager at a movie theatre who was a medic in the National Guard, who made it her personal policy to allow ALL members of any armed service to have as many free movie tickets as they liked. Obviously, if corporate ever found out, they wouldn't have been too pleased. So, she simply gave out passes and marked them down under some bogus reason.

Fast forward to her finally quitting. The same military people would come up and demand free tickets. We would tell them that it wasn't policy and that our GM was fired for it (she wasn't, but they didn't know it) and they had to pay.

Upon hearing the news, they because, probably, the worst SC's you'd ever encounter.

Comment

Quoth blas87 View Post
                            Large breast discount
                            Quoth Rapscallion View Post
                            More common than you might think. Men are stupid.

Rapscallion
                            I have never been able to take advantage of this discount

My brother has been in the military for 6 months he came home on leave and I got him tickets to a concert when I was working. There was a meet and greet after the show, he bought the ticket for the meet and greet then asked me if I could get him to the front of the line because he is in the military. I told him if I wouldn't do it because he was my brother why would I do it because he was in the military?

Comment

Me either, princess. Of course, they'll stare and oogle, but I get nothing out of it other than their drool and "huminah huminah..." *pukes*

I want the big breast discount, and I want the ASStronaut discount.
                              You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Say it with me now: ACTIVE DUTY ONLY.
                                This eliminates the following: Wife, Husband, Son, Daughter, Niece, Nephew, Brother, Sister, Cousin, and "I'm thinking of signing up".
                                I can tell the diffrence between the "family" and "active" passes. My Dad had an Active one I had a Family one. They look nothing alike.
                                My favorite was the kid trying to use the family kind while insisting it was an active duty one. I took it from him read his birthday aloud (under 18), and asked if the Active Duty parent would aprove. He thought not and left
                                I had a group of Vetrans come in, on Vetrans Day. They were great fun, retelling stories of pranks pulled on their C.O. They didn't ask but I gave them the discount. I told them the sword fight with the lightsabers proved they were "active".
                                Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.
                                The following is subject to change:
                                If Your Going Through Hell,
                                Keep Going...

Comment

Working...
                                X