Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have always wanted to learn how to ride and own my own horse. Right now I can barely afford rent.

Well, maybe someday.
    Do radioactive cats have 18 half-lives?

Comment

My husband and I participate in 1800's era reenactments, some of which are quite large. Generally staff uses golf carts to run errands. As much as I may kid about swiping a cart to get from point A to B, I'd never dream of actually doing so. If I can't walk it myself, I just don't go out, and stay at camp. (I camp-sit a LOT!) I just can't imagine the gall of anybody actually taking a cart, or anything else, that does not belong to them.
      Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

I have a pwneh too. Mine's a rescued Thoroughbred who was on his way to slaughter when I got him. Can't wait til he's ready to go horse show- I am going to LOVE beating the pants off the expensive hothouse flowers and then telling the snooty owners I bought him for 30 cents per pound!
        My basic dog food advice - send a pm if you need more.

Saydrah's leaving the nest advice + packing list live here.

Comment

That's awesome! Congratulations on your rescue.

Horse show people are snobs occasionally and there are some who just aren't good people. There was this one girl who showed in 4-H and during her showmanship classes her mom would put a bug in her ear and tell her what to do during the class. She also had one of those horses that even a monkey could ride. She finally got banned from 4-H because one year with her champion paint horse (the girl had a new horse each year from a different circuit..qh, paint, palomino etc.) she was found to have injected it's head with some type of substance that caused it to get a migraine and there for would maintain the low Western Pleasure head set. She was one of the rotten apples that give horsey people bad names. I bought my Quater Horse (actually it's a non-registered quarter pony) for $1300 and trained him myself. I loved beating all of those registered professionally trained full sized horses with my little guy (who I adore).

I did find that there were more nice people than snobs at most horse shows. It just depends on the type of show.

Comment

My fave ever horse to ride at the riding school shows was this ex pacer called Bill. He was just the best ever, at least, in my opinion but a lot of the snobs looked down on him cuz he was quite weird looking compared to their clockwork horses. He was really long and lanky like a greyhound, with a really long back. Sucks to be them when Bill and I whipped their butts. To me, a great personality in a horse beats a high price tag any time.
            People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
            My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth Saydrah View Post
              I have a pwneh too. Mine's a rescued Thoroughbred who was on his way to slaughter when I got him. Can't wait til he's ready to go horse show- I am going to LOVE beating the pants off the expensive hothouse flowers and then telling the snooty owners I bought him for 30 cents per pound!
              *snicker*

^-.-^
              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Horsetuna View Post
                I have always wanted to learn how to ride and own my own horse. Right now I can barely afford rent.

Well, maybe someday.
                Horsetuna, you should see if there is a trainer that would be willing to let you work for lessons. Before I was working full time, that was how I earned my riding time.

I can just barely afford to do what I do with my horse now... the lease/lessons honestly take up most of any left over cash I have. So, I don't have much of a social life outside the riding ring, unless my BF decides he wants to do something .

If you're willing to sacrifice, or you have extra time to get out there and work hard mucking stalls, you might surprise yourself with how much you can do.

I don't know if you have that kind of extra time on your hands, but it's something to consider. I always felt that getting a chance to work with the animals gives you a better understanding of them and makes you a better horse person overall.

Good luck!
                I will not shove “it” up my backside. I do not know what “it” is, but in my many years on this earth I have figured out that that particular port hole is best reserved for emergency exit only. -GK

Comment

Zara, that's HORRIBLE, I do hope that girl was banned for life! There's no place for shit like that in 4-H, and I find kids are trying to cheat more and more.

On the upside of horses though, one of our more *grounded* (we said grounded, the snobs said poor) girls rode her mule for the 4-H horse showmanship, obstacle course, etc (I can't keep track of what the events are called LOL) took blues and champion ribbons all across the board.

On an old MULE.

With ribbons and daisies in his hair!
                  ...how do used tampons attract thieves? ---Sleepwalker

Chickens are Asexual!

Comment

Yeah I think she was banned because she hasn't been seen since. This is also the girl whose parents bought her a barrel horse and my friend and I overheard her asking her trainer when she was in the warm up pen, "now what's the pattern?" She was all sorts of fail.

A mule?! I love mules and would have loved to have seen the reactions of the snobby horse crowd after being whipped on by a half horse.

Comment

Designfox - I live in Calgary, the Heart of the New West. Thing is, people have higher standards around here, heh.

I'll take a look around though. And see what I can do. right now I can only do lessons about twice a week or so since I work full time. I'd love to even just groom horses and heap loves on them. Maybe I can find a local Rescue where I can baby horses....
                      Do radioactive cats have 18 half-lives?

Comment

Zara, that's horrible. Poor horse

I used to ride ages ago, and my favorite school horse was a half-Percheron wall-o-horse named Ajax. Biggest guy in the barn, a bit dim and stubborn as hell but the sweetest disposition. For some reason I was the only student he'd listen to.
                        "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                        "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
                          Zara, that's horrible. Poor horse

I used to ride ages ago, and my favorite school horse was a half-Percheron wall-o-horse named Ajax. Biggest guy in the barn, a bit dim and stubborn as hell but the sweetest disposition. For some reason I was the only student he'd listen to.
                          My aunt used to have a Percheron. That thing was massive. Great horse, though. The only time he was ever a problem for her was when he was spooked by a rattlesnake and dumped her.

When I was about 5, my family had a small ranch in Hemet, CA. We had a few horses and stuff. One time, my brother and I gave my mom a heart attack when she first spotted us riding the bull. Since there was nothing else she could do, she just watched and worried until the bull was done, knelt down, and let us off. All those videos you see of mean-ass bulls? That's what our bull was like. At least around adults, anyway.

^-.-^
                          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

right now I can only do lessons about twice a week or so since I work full time. I'd love to even just groom horses and heap loves on them. Maybe I can find a local Rescue where I can baby horses....
                            Right now, I only ride 2-3 times a week depending on my schedule. If I get lucky, I can fit in a 4th day. When I worked part time I was able to ride 5 or 6 days a week...but that wasn't sustainable (part time = no money to keep horsie).

I love to groom and "baby" my old guy.

I may talk to my trainer again about exchanging some work for trail rides to help stem some of the drain on my wallet...this year I want to show but between entry fees and shipping the horse....I don't think I can afford it ALL. It's an expensive hobby.

I hope you find a place that'll let you work. It's worth it.
                            I will not shove “it” up my backside. I do not know what “it” is, but in my many years on this earth I have figured out that that particular port hole is best reserved for emergency exit only. -GK

Comment

I'd love to even just groom horses and heap loves on them.
                              I got back into horses because of a 'horse-sitting' job for a friend of my Mom's. They were going for a week-long cruise, and needed someone with horse experience to take care of the 'kids'. One thing led to another, and last year I got to 'babysit' Mitzie on her 35th birthday. She'll be 36 in April.

I got to talking with a co-worker about Mitzie, and found out she had 3 horses (4 now). She was looking for someone willing to come out & ride, and I jumped at the chance. I now have one of her horses, and wouldn't give her up for the world.
                              That is so full of suck Dyson doesn't know how they did it - shankyknitter

Comment

I help out a friend at a week-long craft fair once a year (I help on weekends when it's busier). Some of the craftspeople camp at the grounds and there are a couple dorms for them to use.
                                Patience, there is a link to OP.

Some of the craftspeople are elderly & some are in less than ideal health. So there's a golf cart to run them back & forth to the dorms. The worst thing that's ever been done was when someone 'decorated' that cart. It had streamers, new 'hubcaps' (painted paper plates) & balloons. If someone had the nerve to swipe it. Um, good thing there are police in the area. One of the craftspeople makes guns.
                                I'm sorry, the person to whom you were speaking has been replaced by a recording. Please leave your message at the sound of the beep.

Comment

Working...
                                X