Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where I work, I fill in on the switchboard when needed, and I hear that question all the time. I am not required to give my name, so I just respond with 'this is the operator, how may I direct your call?'

Unfortunately, I know that not everyone on here has that option where they work.
    "500 bucks, that's almost a million!"
    ~Curly from the 3 Stooges

Comment

I was trying to pay a bill on line with a credit card last Friday. The confirmation page did not come up after I thought I had finished the transaction. Thinking that perhaps I had not clicked the "finalize and pay" button, I clicked it again. A pop-up message came on stating my payment already had been submitted for finalization. But nothing more happened.

After about fifteen minutes, I checked the status of my account and it stated I still owed the amount I was trying to pay. I called the company and a very nice CSR tried to check my payment, but found that something seemed to have gone wrong and no charge to my credit card had been processed. I asked her if the charge might be processed later that day or sometime in the future, and she assured me that no charge would be made unless I submitted it again. The attempt I had made failed and would not be processed ever. I told her I was going to submit the payment again based upon her assurance.

I asked for her name just to document this in case I ever needed to state with whom I had spoken should there somehow be two payments made to my account. She gave me her name and employee number without hesitation. I do not see where I was an SC to want to verify with whom I had spoken and who it was who gave me the information and assurance.
      "Ignorance is no excuse for a law."
      .................................................. ..................- Alfred E. Newman

Comment

Quoth Tito View Post
        Where I work, I fill in on the switchboard when needed, and I hear that question all the time. I am not required to give my name, so I just respond with 'this is the operator, how may I direct your call?'
        I used to do that when I was the operator for the company I work for. As the operator, there was nothing I could do to help people, so I never gave out my name, as that seemed to encourage people to tell me all the details of what they wanted, rather than just an outline so I could transfer them.

I don't hesitate to give out my name at work, but then I'm almost always helping people, so nobody ever complains. (the only real customer interaction I have is when they call asking for tracking info) Plus, it's a small enough company that everyone knows me and how I am with customers, and since I 'fess up when I'm in the wrong, they'll always take my word over anyone else's.

^-.-^
        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I wrote about my own instance of having this happen last week except with a twist because they had my name wrong! (http://www.customerssuck.com/board/s...ad.php?t=25268 if your interested)

I have to give my name, I hate it because people always ask me where its from etc which I understand (though my first name is worse) and I just want to get them off the phone! PLus is really annoying when they get it wrong!

Comment

At my call center, we always joke about wanting to make up really old fashioned fake names after we hang up with an SC.

SC: "And what is your NAME??" (in snotty, entitled SC fashion)

Me: "Hildegarde. You're more than welcome to ask for me when you call back"

"So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

Quoth Peppergirl View Post
              At my call center, we always joke about wanting to make up really old fashioned fake names after we hang up with an SC.

Oooh, good one! You just gave me a "good" idea...
              I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
              Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
              Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

They're only asking for one of three reasons: repeating it at the end of every sentence thanks to the latest "Mind Control A CSR" article they read,
                There is a guy in my office who is always on the phone on personal calls, and last week one day I noticed him doing this. I was cringing for the CSR from my desk. He also asks every CSR "where in the world are you located?"...I'm almost positive he's really just curious, but I'm not entirely sure...

I always hated giving out my name because no one can say it. It's not even hard - 2 syllables, both parts of very common names. Put them together and people just can't hear it. I don't understand.
                I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Just last Thursday I participated in the following exchange:

Guy: What was your name again?
                  Me: Polly
                  Guy: Paula?
                  Me: No, it's Polly (stressing the 'o' sound and the 'y')
                  Guy: Paulie (the way he said it made it particularly obvious he had it wrong again)
                  Me: No, it's Polly, P O L L Y.
                  Guy: Oh, Polly! Excellent.

I don't know what it is about my name that stumps so many people. It's not that uncommon, and there are a lot of pop culture references to make it really easy: Polly Pocket toys, Polly's Pies, Aunt Polly from Huckelberry Finn (although I prefer if people don't associate her with me), and "pretty Polly" referring to parrots.

^-.-^
                  Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

One of my job requirements is when I make calls I have to note the number I dialed, the time and date of the call, and the representative I spoke with along with notes from the call.
                    I have had reps at companies that say they don't give a name. I tell them I am only trying to do my job and I am required to have some sort of identifying information of whom I have spoken with. They will usually give me a number or name at that point.

I do laugh to myself when I call a company and it is known that they use an overseas call center and it is obvious when you speak with someone that they are not native to the US and the name they give is a common US name and they struggle to say it.

Comment

I called the service line for the company that provides hosting services for me a couple of days ago. I detected a distinct Filipino accent in the girl's voice. Rather than just asking "hey, are you in the Philippines?", I just started answering questions with "oo" (pronounced oh-oh, means yes) and using "salamat" (thank you). She responded to those correctly.

Regarding asking for names: when keeping notes one needs some kind of identification. I'm with the previous poster who says that asking for your operator ID # just sounds rude. I'm not sure I could do that.

That's all I want when I ask ... some way of identifying who I talked to for future reference, IF required.
                      "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

Guilty. I'll ask for a name or something so I can identify later on. Because I've had cable reps tell me that a tech will "be there Wednesday between 8 and 12) and then when I call back when they didn't show up I am told they have no record of any conversation, and who did I speak to. Then I look a liar because I have no name.

Or the insurance rep who told me I could add my wife if I did a, b, c, & d which I did, then was told that C & D are irrelevant & pointless and I need to do e & f. Again, I had no way to say "well so and so said" Not that it would have helped, but they wanted to know who gave me bad info.

I'll politely ask for a name, or someway I can identify them later in case there is an issue. If that offends you then get into a new line of work, or get onto the people who give out bad info.

Comment

My first name is Natalie. Names I've been called (with name tag in full sight)
                          Naomi, Natasha, Melanie, Nelly, Natalia.

Also, if someone calls me the wrong thing, I can't not correct them. >.>
                          Pit bull-

There is no breed of dog more in need of our compassion; in need of our call to arms on their behalf; and in need of what should be the full force of our enduring sanctuary.

Comment

Quoth Kyree View Post
                            Also, if someone calls me the wrong thing, I can't not correct them. >.>
                            Well... you could always just pretend that you didn't realize they were talking to you, since they used a name other than your own.

^-.-^

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                              Well... you could always just pretend that you didn't realize they were talking to you, since they used a name other than your own.

^-.-^
                              Very true
                              Pit bull-

There is no breed of dog more in need of our compassion; in need of our call to arms on their behalf; and in need of what should be the full force of our enduring sanctuary.

Comment

Quoth Peppergirl View Post

Hah, I get that all the time too. Just today, in fact. Lady was upset that just repeating her demand for a Friday appointment did not give me the power to bend time and add extra hours for her.

What's funny is probably 75% of the time someone DEMANDZ my name, they get it wrong anyway. I always feel somewhat bad that some poor schlub with the name the SC thought mine was might end up getting his ass chewed out.
                                "You know, there are times when it's a source of personal pride not to be human." - Hobbes

Comment

Working...
                                X