This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quoth Pagan View Post
    They generally don't let anyone touch the strippers, either!
    Beat me to it.

Comment

• Quoth Pagan View Post
      Which is a damned shame, let me tell you. Well, at least when it comes to some of them.

What, I can't make a tasteless joke?

Comment

• Quoth poofy_puff View Post
        I bet Miss Manners would say something different! We need to get the two of them in a wrestling ring - SMACKDOWN - Dear Abby Vs. Miss Manners!

YEA!
        well first I want to say hi, details later...

anyways, while not exactly the same, Miss Manners did say this:

"Dear Miss Manners,
        I have been working/managing at Cold Stone Creamery for four years now, and I have yet to figure out how to handle exceptionally obnoxious customers. I understand being picky and that the customer is always right, but when I was cursed at a few months ago by a customer because she thought her ice cream was too expensive (even though she was charged for what she ordered), I started to wonder, when do I get to stand up for myself?

I would never curse back, but what is the protocol for handling people like this? I know it's a difficult situation, but I was hoping you could help.

Gentle Reader,
        As you well know, the customer is not always right; and that slogan has done a lot of damage. Miss Manners would think it more reasonable now to change this to "We don't stoop to the behavior of our customers." It is not a matter of standing up for yourself, but of maintaining the tone of the company you represent.

Customers who yell or threaten should be asked to leave the store, which you, as a manager, should empower your employees to do. Those who are merely difficult should be met with icy politeness: "That is the clearly stated price, madam. I'm sure that in the future you will want to buy your ice cream elsewhere." "

so yeah, Miss Manners wins!
        http://dragcave.net/user/LadyMage

Comment

• *ding* *ding* *ding* Ladies & Gentlemen. We have a KO in the 1st round! Victory to Miss Manners with a direct cut.
          I'm sorry, the person to whom you were speaking has been replaced by a recording. Please leave your message at the sound of the beep.

Comment

• Didn't Miss Manners once say that she worked in the service industry before she started at the paper and then got into the advice area?

Comment

• In a 1995 interview by Virginia Shea, she said:
              Quoth Miss Manners
              You can deny all you want that there is etiquette, and a lot of people do in everyday life. But if you behave in a way that offends the people you're trying to deal with, they will stop dealing with you...There are plenty of people who say, 'We don't care about etiquette, but we can't stand the way so-and-so behaves, and we don't want him around!' Etiquette doesn't have the great sanctions that the law has. But the main sanction we do have is in not dealing with these people and isolating them because their behavior is unbearable.
              She grew up the daughter of an economist for the UN, so she travelled a lot as a child. I can't find reference to what she did before journalism, but she's been in journalism for a very long time.

^-.-^
              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

• I'd like to see Miss Manner's teach Dear Abby a few things.
                Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

• Quoth Pagan View Post
                  Of course not. Strippers don't wear name tags.
                  "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

• Abby just posted a bunch of "I can't believe you said that...." letters concerning Dissociative Identity Disorder (DID), or Multiple Personality Disorder (MPD).

The original letter and response were done on January 18, so it might be quite awhile before we see any fruit of our labors in letter writing. So...keep those responses going.
                    Last edited by Aethian; 04-03-2008, 02:10 PM.

Comment

• Today's letter was in response to a letter from Feb 4th. We're getting there.
                      SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
                      SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Comment

• What was the date that our letter was posted? (our letter meaning the one about Nikki)
                        Pit bull-

There is no breed of dog more in need of our compassion; in need of our call to arms on their behalf; and in need of what should be the full force of our enduring sanctuary.

Comment

• Quoth Kyree View Post
                          What was the date that our letter was posted? (our letter meaning the one about Nikki)
                          March 23rd, 2008

http://www.uexpress.com/dearabby/?uc_full_date=20080323

Comment

• Dear Abby,

Did you know that in Ohio, it's illegal to touch strippers? Strippers. Touching. Not allowed. Crazy thing, that. But you got right ahead wit yo bad self and induce a populous of crazy grabby grabbies, ya silly bink!

Confused, drunk, but not retarded,

Gun Sage

P.S. Psst! You're still old! lol!

Edit: Crap...someone beat me to it.
                            You can find me on Backloggery, Facebook, Twitch, Twitter, YouTube

Comment

• Quoth gunsage View Post
                              Edit: Crap...someone beat me to it.
                              Shall we say you were outgunned?
                              "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

• Quoth Pagan View Post
                                You should come to where I work!

...I never said which service industry
                                "If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking." - George Patton

"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." - Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                                X