X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth LadyBarbossa View Post
    Precisely, Master Luke.
    Funny thing, "Luke" actually is part of my name. I've finally come to terms with the "Luke, I am your father" jokes and actually use it to tell people how to spell it.
    It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
      Funny thing, "Luke" actually is part of my name. I've finally come to terms with the "Luke, I am your father" jokes and actually use it to tell people how to spell it.
      Waitiaminute.... people have trouble spelling Luke?

And what would you prefer: Comments about Star Wars, or comments about Dukes of Hazard?

^-.-^
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Some of my favorites.....

"Can I ask you a question?"

Sure. I'll either have the answer or make something convincing up.
        -OR-
        Sure. I have the answer. It might be a SMARTASS answer, but it is an answer!
        -OR-
        Sure. Not sure how accurate my answer will be though.
        -OR-
        No.

I like saying "No" to a lot of questions people ask. Like "Can I get a glass of water?", "Can you tell me where the bathroom is?", "Can we get some extra napkins?", etc. People are amused by it.

"Is the menu the same upstairs as down here?"

No, up there it's in Hebrew. Yes, I actually used that one.

"What's the weather like upstairs?"

It's snowing.

"How do we get upstairs?" I actually get this one more than you would think.

You walk....up...the stairs.

"Where's the bathroom?"

We discontinued it. You might be surprised by how many people take me seriously on this one.

"Can you tell me how much this drink is?"

Yes. I can. And then I walk away.

I am often surprised by how much I get away with.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
        Still A Customer."

Comment

I suspect because you work in a bar, and it's somewhat expected for bars to be a little less uptight.

All of my questions are from co-workers.
          I like answering questions that start with "can I" with some retort such as:
          I don't know. Can you?
          Well, anything is possible, although not necessarily probable.
          And if they start with "can you" then I say:
          Yup. (if I can)
          Conceivably, yes. (if it's unlikely)

Every so often when someone starts of with "will you" I'll just say "nope" and then I'll have to call them back. More than once, one person has accepted the "nope" and not let me do what they came to ask me to do in the first place.

^-.-^
          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth cinema guy View Post
            A customer complained to a cinema manager about a cocky worker who told her that 'the ship sinks'. She said she did not want the ending of the film ruined for her.
            That's one of the reasons I didn't want to see it -- I already knew how it was going to end. That, and it just seemed like it was over-hyped.

I did catch it on cable when the wife was watching it. I didn't think it really sucked, but I wasn't all that impressed with it either.
            Sometimes life is altered.
            Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
            Uneasy with confrontation.
            Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

I loved messing with folks in line to see Titanic, me and a buddy were out with some ladies and we were joking about the ship sinking and some gals got mad about us revealing said ending! Also we had seen a summer movie review on the scifi channel with the MST3K guys doing their usual riffing on movies and when they hit on Titanic one particular bit had the ship leaving the harbour and the Captain was out on deck watching as they left and as he was standing there, they put in the line for him "I'm gonna sink this bitch!", well, when that part came up in the movie my buddy looked at me and we both said that line and we proceeded to get pelted with popcorn and ice, yes we were in the wrong, but funny as hell to us.
              I love my customers to death, the problem is they aren't dying quick enough.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                Another poster mentioned someone saying about the book they wanted "It's blue". That one deserves to be referred to the Reference section, for the Kelly Blue Book of used car values.
                Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
                Actually, that's in Transportation...
                and actually, it's yellow
                Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
                  I remember that. "He climbs up the building! What did you think happens next?" "I don't know. Maybe he climbs down!"

So, *is* there a statute of limitations on spoilers? Weirdly, I don't think in all my time in the theatres that I got any complaints about stuff like that. Might have been something along those lines during the Lord of the Rings trilogy, but I don't remember.
                  I would say for a new movie - once it is in second run then you can't have an expectation that you haven't heard already how it ends.

I would say no if the movie is based on a book, a remake, about an historial event or a film culturally referenced frequently. I mean, even if you have never seen a "classic" most people can tell you how they end or a famous line.

King Kong - he dies
                  Titanic - the ship sinks
                  Thelma and Louise - they go off the cliff
                  Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid - they die in a blaze of gunfire
                  Cassablanca - she gets on the plane
                  Highlander - "There can be only one!"

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                    Waitiaminute.... people have trouble spelling Luke?
                    Yes, yes they do. I think it has something to do with the fact that it goes by quickly. (My parents had joked about naming me Matthew Mark if I had been a boy!)

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                    And what would you prefer: Comments about Star Wars, or comments about Dukes of Hazard?

^-.-^
                    Oh, no contest there...."Star Wars". Mainly because most people will think of the god-awful thing that was in theaters, not the TV show.

Quoth MadMike View Post
                    I did catch it on cable when the wife was watching it. I didn't think it really sucked, but I wasn't all that impressed with it either.
                    What set me against the movie was James Cameron bellowing about being king of the world. Well, Sparky, if it wasn't for George Lucas, you movie wouldn't have had the special FX that it had. You need to bow down and kiss his feet! /rant over/

Quoth auntiem View Post
                    Highlander - "There can be only one!"
                    Unless you ignore "Quickening" and "Final Conflict". Then factor in "Source". Not to mention, you've got the next two after "Source"....oh, no, I've gone cross-eyed.
                    It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

When "The Empire Strikes Back" was re-released in theatres a few years back I pulled the Homer Simpson joke and said "I can't believe that Darth Vader is Luke's father". The reaction I got was pretty much the same as Homer received in that episode
                      Last edited by evilhomer; 04-01-2008, 01:08 AM.
                      D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
                      Quoth = Crossbow "EvilHomer, Irv, Gravekeeper, and Seraph: the Four Horsemen of the Dumbpocalypse."

Comment

I honestly can't believe people get pissed when you say somethign about amovie X years old.... if its pre 1995 its fair game for spoilers

Comment

Quoth evilhomer View Post
                          "I can't believe that Darth Vader is Luke's father". The reaction I got was pretty much the same as Homer received in that episode
                          Really? Seriously? Hello, it's only the most quoted line ever... And has been since the movie first came out...

Quoth LadyBarbossa View Post
                          Probably because you haven't seen it ad nauseum the way I have From the final battle scene -
                          Oh, no, as soon as you explained it the first time, I recognized the scene, I'm just surprised I didn't figure it out before then.
                          "I call murder on that!"

Comment

I would like to thank you guys for spoiling every movie I ever wanted to watch and haven't gotten around to yet...meaning every movie mentioned in this thread.

J/K. I wanted to use that smilie.
                            Unseen but seeing
                            oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                            There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                            3rd shift needs love, too
                            RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth Juwl View Post
                              Really? Seriously? Hello, it's only the most quoted line ever... And has been since the movie first came out...
                              Never underestimate the stupidity of the public at large. Remember, this thread was started by people who didn't know The Titanic sank

And let me be the first to apologize to you Becky. I'll be more careful next time.
                              D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
                              Quoth = Crossbow "EvilHomer, Irv, Gravekeeper, and Seraph: the Four Horsemen of the Dumbpocalypse."

Comment

Slightly OT, but a couple of friends of mine were in a college course together with a guy who had never heard of Led Zeppelin. The razzing was merciless.
                                I know nothing and I can prove it!

Comment

Working...
                                X