This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's All My Fault!

I love how some people think, I really do.

The other day, I waited on a family of five. Mom, Dad, three kids. They sat at a table and were watching the live music. Kids were drinking sodas, which I kept refilled. Parents were drinking gin and tonics, which I kept filled whenever they asked me. I basically gave them top notch service, bantered with them, everything was fine.

Till Dad got the check.

DAD: "Isn't it happy hour?"
    JESTER: "I'm sorry sir, but happy hour is at the bar only." (In other words, not at the tables.)
    DAD: "That's stupid."
    JESTER: "I'm sorry, sir. I don't make the rules."
    DAD: "Can I speak with a manager?"
    JESTER: "Not a problem, sir."

So I sent the manager over to talk to the guy. Manager repeated everything I had said, apparently not to Dad's satisfaction. But he gave me his credit card, I rant it, and delivered it back to him. And they left.

Anyone wanna guess what kind of tip this guy left me?

Right. None. Bupkus. Zero. Zilch.

Did he ask me about happy hour when they got there? Nope.
    Did he ever ask me about happy hour while they were sitting there enjoying their drinks and the music? Of course not.
    Only afterwards did he ask.

So apparently now I am supposed to be psychic and know to tell people about the happy hour rules when they never even ask. And because I didn't, the excellent service I provided is now null and void, and I had to pay to wait on them.

Yes, I had to PAY to wait on them. How do I figure that? Because we tip out the bartender based upon our liquor sales. In this case, I figure I had to pay $1.19 for the privilege of waiting on this disgruntled yahoo and his family.

Thanks, Douchenozzle. Thanks for pointing out the error of my ways. I will make sure to sign up for those ESP classes immediately, so I never make such a mistake again.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
    Still A Customer."

I despise people who take out their dissatisfaction with restaurant policy on the wait staff.

People's heads are so far up their own asses.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

Jackass! Seriously, unless the staff says otherwise, I expect to pay full price and always throw them at least a buck a drink. There's been a few times I tried to give money back when I got my change, thinking they counted it wrong, only to find out that there was a special.

And besides, always tip them something, even if it's a penny heads down (never done it myself, it would have to get REALLY ugly)
      "Ride the spiral to the end, it may just go where no one's been. Spiral out, keep going..." -Lateralus

Comment

I've started adding disclaimers to anything I do, work related, that could be confusing, or potentially messy, ie: I have started reminding customers to pick up their bag once I hand them the receipt; or I let them know before they hand me a coupon, "That's next week's coupon. It's certainly not this week's, and it isn't last week's..."
        "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Quoth dispatch View Post
          And besides, always tip them something, even if it's a penny heads down (never done it myself, it would have to get REALLY ugly)
          Um, that is adding insult to injury, actually.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
          Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
            I think its to show poor service rather than anything else...
            A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
              I agree - sometimes it's worse to get a small tip or payment than none at all. Because you know that the person is doing it deliberately to insult, but is trying to take a moral high ground in doing it ("see - I left you a tip"...).

It's a bit different if they are poor and can't afford much, but if they can.... grrrr
              When I said "From my research", what I actually meant to say was "Made shit up" - from a thottbot thread

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                I will make sure to sign up for those ESP classes immediately, so I never make such a mistake again.
                Just make sure you don't end up taking ESPN classes.

Unseen but seeing
                oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                3rd shift needs love, too
                RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth dispatch View Post
                  What does a penny heads down mean? I mean the heads down part.

Comment

Quoth ebonyknight View Post
                    What does a penny heads down mean? I mean the heads down part.
                    It's considered unlucky to pickup a penny that is heads down.
                    Just because a customer expects you to put some effort into your job, that does not make them an SC.

Comment

i'm thinking there's a bit of tails = kiss my ass to that as well, but that might be a product of my twisted thinking.

jes, we all know you provide great service; this guy was too stupid and ungrateful to appreciate you.

if i ever come there, i will appreciate you and tip; i believe in the practice of 'extra for good service.'
                      look! it's ghengis khan!
                      Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

Quoth LifeCarnie View Post
                        It's considered unlucky to pickup a penny that is heads down.
                        I consider it lucky to pick up any penny. WooHoo! I'm a penny richer!

That being said; I wanna know why the douche took his KIDS to a bar anyways and why BOTH parents were drinking? Helllloooo, drunk driving with kids in the car.
                        Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Why? You're a penny richer!

Besides, if you drop a load of change, are you really going to leave half of it there?

Maybe this susperstition was brought about by someone who went around picking up coins others had left?

Rapscallion

Comment

Funny thing, but apparently, if you use minimum wage as a scale, it isn't worth your time to pick up a penny. You waste more time than you'd earn.
                            Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
                              Funny thing, but apparently, if you use minimum wage as a scale, it isn't worth your time to pick up a penny. You waste more time than you'd earn.
                              Picking up a penny might not pay might not pay minimum wage, but it pays more than not picking it up. Besides, I can always use the excerise.
                              "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Working...
                              X