This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• But my car is NICER!

The thread about a customer wanting the mechanic to cancel someone else's appointment so they could get their car worked on earlier reminded me of this. This happened a couple months ago.

Now, let's be fair. My car is a beater. It's an 11 year old Corolla that has been in a few accidents (none of them my doing...in each case, my car was not only stationary, but only once was I actually IN it). So it's got some minor dents, and I'm really lax on washing my car (haven't in about four years). It's dirty, its got random scratches, on it but I don't really care, because it runs well and it's paid for and I don't really have to worry about someone dinging my door or some random shopping cart giving it a nice new scrape.

That said, I make decent money. I could buy a new car if I wanted but I figure why, when my car is paid for, works, and gets good gas mileage? Not having a car payment helps me save up for my house, ah thank you.

So, in order to keep my car running well as long as possible, I take it every three months to the local mall Sears to have the tires checked and the oil changed and wiper blades switched as needed. The Sears does not do major mechanical work hence there are no appointments...the garage opens into the lot and you pull directly into the garage which sets off a buzzer and first come is first served.

So having been here a trillion times before I pull into the garage. There's a line painted on the floor to let people know where to stop so they don't start interferring with the hydraulic lifts that line the far wall. I'm stopped at this line, car off, taking my key off the ring and waiting for the attendant when a woman in a nice Cadillac pulls up behind me. Now the entrance to the bay is long enough that two cars can easily wait without the second car being in the parking lot at all. Didn't stop her from going right up on my bumber and then honking. Her honk was so loud in fact that it startled me and I dropped my keys. I went fishing for them again then looked in my rearview to see how close she was. I thought at first that she had honked to get the attendent's attention but when I looked back at her she gave me cat-butt-face, honked AGAIN, and waved her hands in a clear indication for me to move forward.

My car is off, I'm at the line, and there's only about ten feet in front of me to the service bays. I'm NOT moving forward. So I shake my head and start fiddling with my keys again (I hate keyrings). So she honks yet again just as the attendent finally comes in (and realizes its her honking and not me, thank heaven).

As soon as she sees him she all but launches out of her car, says some things I don't catch, and thrusts her keys into his hand. Me being in no particular hurry finally get my key off the ring and get out of my car. The woman shoots me a dirty look and goes through the double doors into the store and waiting area. The manager comes out just as the tech gets into this woman's car and starts very carefully manuevering it to get around my car and into the service bay. He stares, I stare. Then the manager looks at me, politely asks me what I need, and takes my key. I go inside and thankfully do not see cat-butt face woman.

I putter around a bit and about fifteen minutes later I come back to the payment desk to see cat-butt-face woman, the mechanic, and the manager there. Mechanic and CBF woman are on the customer side of the desk, manager is behind it. CBF woman is ranting and raving. This is the part of the conversation I overheard.

CBF: I was told it would be TEN MINUTES for my oil. Now you're telling me you haven't even started yet??

Manager: I apologize for that ma'am but we operate on a first come, first served basis. There was a car ahead of you and as we only have one tech working today, we were obligated to attend to her car first.

CBF: No, I was first, this man here (gesturing at the tech) took my car first!

Manager: Yes, I'm aware of that. He should not have done that as there was someone in the garage ahead of you. I apologize for the misunderstanding but as we have no appointments it is first come, first served.

CBF: That rude little woman's car was a pile of crap anyway. You guys should be paying more attention to the quality cars that come in and not junk!

The manager blinked, and I blinked. CBF was unaware that I was standing about four feet right behind her, but of course the manager could see me. I didn't say anything and the manager continued on.

Manager: That's neither here nor there. We just finished with her oil change and we will begin yours now. It will take about fifteen minutes.

CBF: That is just unacceptable!

Manager: Then you are free to go elsewhere if our policy is unacceptable.

CBF: Well, I can see it really pays to be poor white trash driving a beat-up Hickmobile (she actually said HICKmobile?? About a toyota corolla?) around this place!

Me (finally chiming in): At least I can afford some manners, lady.

She spins around and sees me standing there, does the cat-butt-face again and then turns and storms out into the garage area...the technician right behind. The manager apologizes to me for the wait, processes my paperwork, and takes my payment. When I went out to get my car there was no sign of the rude woman or her car...I guess she took her business 'elsewhere'. As I was pulling out (my window was down) I did hear the manager telling the lone tech very sternly that he is never ever ever to accept the keys or move a vehicle for work that is not FIRST in line, he doesn't care how obnoxious the customer is.

That manager rocks
    My dollhouse blog.

Blog about life

wow...

CBF: That rude little woman's car was a pile of crap anyway. You guys should be paying more attention to the quality cars that come in and not junk!
    she honks at you as if to say 'stand aside, peasant,' and YOU'RE the rude one? cadillacs are not that spectacular, so i can honestly say she fails to impress on at least two levels.

high five for that manager reminding her that waiting your turn still applies into adulthood (although, that might be giving her way too much credit).
    look! it's ghengis khan!
    Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

Quoth LewisLegion View Post
      Me (finally chiming in): At least I can afford some manners, lady.

I feel for you - my car may not be that old, but it's been in its fair share of scrapes. It's got dings, dents and scratches, the bumper has faded out so it doesn't quite match the car, etc. I don't really care, so long as she runs - and I totally agree - it's nice not having to worry if someone nails her with their car door or shopping cart in a parking lot.
      "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

WHOOHOO!! Go Manager Man, GO! I think I may love that Manager. <3

Mom told me that my car is now 10 years old , and I have to start saving up to replace it in case I have to do a major repair. She runs good still and I only had to replace the water pump once (last year), so she should be good for at least another, oh....5 years? Need a tune-up, though. Crud.
        Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

Quoth chainedbarista View Post
          cadillacs are not that spectacular, so i can honestly say she fails to impress on at least two levels.
          Yeah. They don't do it for me either. Now, pre-WWII MGs, Bentleys, Talbot-Lagos (the teardrop coupes), Bugattis, etc. Those are simply freaking awesome. Not some stupid Cadillac that looks like an orgami exercise gone wrong. It wouldn't surprise me if that Cadillac was white, and covered in gold "pimp trim." Either way, it sounds like someone's, um, *compensating* for something...

With that said, she'd have a fit if she saw my first car at the garage. That was an '87 Ford Tempo. Didn't look too bad, but really was a POS up close. Even more fun could have been had in the MG before it was restored. That car had holes in the sills, peeling paint, rust, an interior held together with tape. But, let's not forget its best feature---huge blue exhaust clouds! Bet that would have done *wonders* for her Caddy's paint job
          Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Kudos to the manager for sticking to his guns and letting cat-butt-face "lady" know where she can take it!!!! Some people think that just because they have more money they're better than everybody else and that it's acceptable to treat those with less money than them like shit. Freaking jerks. Not to thread jack, but this reminded me about something my mom told me happened over 10 years ago when she used to work as a clerk for this upscale condo in a well-to-do area in South Florida. This one guy couldn't get his way (dunno what exactly it was he wanted) threw a fit and even called my mom a "half-breed". My mom's boss at the time, J got wind of it and MADE the guy apologize to my mom's face.
            I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
            Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
            Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Yeah, the manager is a great guy. As I said, I'm a regular and I've dealt with him a lot. He's fair, IMMENSELY patient, but he doesn't take any bull from anyone.

I agree about the car. It was a decent cadillac but really...she was acting like it was a jaguar or a ferrari...not that either car would excuse her behavior.

I've been called a Wel-fairy before and insulted that I'm 'poor' or 'white trash'. I'm really a case of 'do not judge a book by its cover'. Yeah, my car is beat up. Yeah, my shoes are worn and I wear baggy jeans and tshirts and battered baseball caps (I'm a big tom boy). But seriously, I'm a case of don't judge a book by its cover. I make good money. I'm saving up to buy a house on my own. I have NEVER been in debt (save my car, which I paid off and was never once late on a payment with). I pay all my bills on time. My credit score starts with an 8. I just don't feel a need to buy a flashy car or to wave a wad of hundreds around or basically act like an entitlement whore. Life isn't about how much you have or can show off, its about how you treat your fellow human beings, no matter their circumstances or yours. It's a pity this woman seemed to have forgotten it...and if she never knew it, its even more of a pity.
              My dollhouse blog.

Blog about life

Comment

Wow...that lady was bad....

I have a new (to me) 03 Cruiser...I love that car and since I drive such a short distence every day I need to get his oil changed every 3 months. I plan on following their 3k repair schedule to the letter and then plan on just turning back to page one when I hit the max.

Paid off cars rock.

Comment

Maybe you should have popped your head out your window and told her "Sorry, I'm all out of Grey Poupon."
                  "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
                    It wouldn't surprise me if that Cadillac was white, and covered in gold "pimp trim."
                    *snicker*

Pimp trim. Perfect description.

If that's how she felt about your car, she'd have been aghast at mine. It's nearly 30 years old, with cracked fake wood trim, torn & drooping ceiling fabric, dinged and dented panels all over, and currently badly in need of a tune-up, oil change, and a repair to stop it from leaking all it's power steering fluid every time it's parked.

^-.-^
                    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

What a raving beotch! That was an awesome story, LewisLegion.

I could never understand why people would buy an expensive car when they can't afford it, but then I'm not a car nut either. I just want it to do it's job and not break down. I still drive my 12 year old Honda Civic, I'm sure the other moms wonder why I don't have a honking huge SUV like them, but really it's quite adequate for the job of shuttling my kids around.

Comment

I....I think I'm in love with that manager!

Quoth myswtghst View Post
                        I feel for you - my car may not be that old, but it's been in its fair share of scrapes. It's got dings, dents and scratches, the bumper has faded out so it doesn't quite match the car, etc. I don't really care, so long as she runs - and I totally agree - it's nice not having to worry if someone nails her with their car door or shopping cart in a parking lot.
                        My car's 12 years old and is running better since it hit 100 000 miles than it ever did before. And I need to get the oil changed after class tomorrow, come to think of it.

It's got hail damage and the front end got replaced a couple of years ago (Even though it looks like for all the world like it was my fault since I hit her, she had turned in front of me). Even with that, I still will watch people to make sure they don't nail my door with theirs. It's just rude to do that and you know that if someone did that to their car, they'd be howlin' about it!
                        It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

I think I would have had a few more choise words for her, ignorant bitch. <sorry>
                          Woman are like guns, if you don't treat us right, we'll blow up in your face!

Pain is your bodies way of telling you that you're still alive.

I am also known as Liquid Skin and Silkekitten.

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
                            My car's 12 years old and is running better since it hit 100 000 miles than it ever did before. And I need to get the oil changed after class tomorrow, come to think of it.
                            Heck, my car is only about 7 years old, and she's over 94,000 miles. I think I drive too much.
                            "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

Quoth myswtghst View Post
                              Heck, my car is only about 7 years old, and she's over 94,000 miles. I think I drive too much.
                              Guess I drive too much too - my 2001 has 88k on it right now.

On topic, that's what I love about the dealership I used to go to. The Chevrolet dealer in my town had no issues servicing my (Gasp) GMC trucks. My Ford now goes to the Ford shop, so he has lots of relatives there, but there was a mid-80s Fiesta there on my last visit, so they welcome all vehicles as well, not just the new ones.
                              That is so full of suck Dyson doesn't know how they did it - shankyknitter

Comment

Working...
                              X