This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your help isn't needed, wanted, or helpful

I'm pushing a cabinet through a doorway. It's a handicapped access door so it stays open automatically. Despite this handy convenience, a woman comes rushing down the hall to the door. I assumed she was just a typical all-important assclown who figures she has a right to go through the door first, so I motioned for her to go through. Instead I find out that she's one of those "helpful" dumbasses who insist it upon themselves to butt in. Now this is not wanted or needed for a few reasons:
    a) the cabinet can fall off the dolly at any time, and/or the dolly can suddenly decide to go in another direction. Although rare, it's a possibility that could happen and hurt someone.
    b) she's standing in the middle of the damn doorway so even if I wanted to, there wasn't enough room
    c) I'm a professional, I know how to work my feet to hold a door
    and d) It's a f***ing automatic door!!! It's being magically held open already

So I politely tell her no thanks, she remains insistent to "help". I assure her that it's quite allright, she assures me that it's quite allright for her to help. I tell her I'm not allowed to, a brief moment of confusion contorts her face and she moves away. Just as she does this, the timer on the automatic door runs out and it begins to close. Like an idiot I lunge forward to grab it, pushing the cabinet forward, and crushing my thumb between the cabinet and the closing door.

I pride myself in professionalism. I curse a blue streak when customers aren't around but when I'm on the floor it's all business. But the combination of the pain, and the frustration of this 30 second argument made me lose that. I let out a f***, and my face went beet red in a blind rage. Obviously this woman knew better because she quickly went away and hid in her office. Through clenched teeth I vented some steam to my partner about how I'm going to kill the next person who wants to help me. I then looked at the workorders. Lucky lucky me, I've got one to do some work in this woman's office. Knowing I'd blow up at anything she said, I sent my partner in to handle it.

At first glance, I hate that person who just walks right past you with no thought whatsoever of helping you but I'm really beginning to appreciate them. The ones who do it properly - an offer, then a quick walk away at your polite decline, are becoming so rare that I just want everybody to be uncaring.
    D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
    Quoth = Crossbow "EvilHomer, Irv, Gravekeeper, and Seraph: the Four Horsemen of the Dumbpocalypse."

Quoth evilhomer View Post
    The ones who do it properly - an offer, then a quick walk away at your polite decline, are becoming so rare that I just want everybody to be uncaring.
    That would be me.

If I see someone working with something cumbersome, I'll stand out of the way and ask if they could use a hand with it. If they say 'no' then I go on about my business. I figure that even if they don't know what they're doing, it's not my business to butt in where I'm not wanted.

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I would rather been told I don't need your help while someone is doing something than try to force my help upon them.

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
        If I see someone working with something cumbersome, I'll stand out of the way and ask if they could use a hand with it. If they say 'no' then I go on about my business. I figure that even if they don't know what they're doing, it's not my business to butt in where I'm not wanted.

^-.-^
        Same here. Unfortunately it seems we're rare. Either people see you struggling and ignore you, or they rush in when you *don't* need help and make things worse.

Comment

Good grief I can't stand people who INSIST on helping when I'm saying "no, please, just stand away". They're usually impeding progress.
          "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

But they mean well!!!
            Unseen but seeing
            oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
            There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
            3rd shift needs love, too
            RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post
              But they mean well!!!

Yeah, well, you know what they say about the road to hell...
              I don't go in for ancient wisdom
              I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
              It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
                it's a fun ride?

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
                  Good intentions and all that snazzy stuff.
                  Unseen but seeing
                  oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                  There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                  3rd shift needs love, too
                  RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

But they mean well!!!
                    Bless their hearts....

^-.-^
                    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

That would be me.

^-.-^

The same with me. I know when I am not wanted.
                      Under The Moon Paranormal Research
                      San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

But they mean well!!!
                        You know who *else* meant well? The N***********.........."We're sorry, the rest of this post has been preempted by Godwin's Law. We apologize for the difficulties. The poster will be taken out back and beaten with a trout. Have a nice day."

I'm random. I know.
                        Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
                          You know who *else* meant well? The N***********.........."We're sorry, the rest of this post has been preempted by Godwin's Law. We apologize for the difficulties. The poster will be taken out back and beaten with a trout. Have a nice day."

I'm random. I know.
                          I prefer Emannuel's Law. That Nazis should be mentioned as early as possible to get them out of the way.

Comment

I go through the same thing every day pushing shopping cart in. Customers insist on Holding the door open, to which I have to say, "Sir/ma'am, it's an automatic door, I appreciate your help, standing in the doorway with your arms outstretched makes it difficult for me to get by."
                            "Sometimes, I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion!"

Comment

Bless their hearts....

^-.-^
                              You forgot a few syllables. Oops, here they are:

blay-ehss thehruh liddul ole har-uts
                              I'm sorry, the person to whom you were speaking has been replaced by a recording. Please leave your message at the sound of the beep.

Comment

Working...
                              X