This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cellular Suckitude, 2008 ed.

At least once every couple of days I have someone come to the counter of my store while they're talking on their cellphone. It doesn't bother me all that much anymore. Most of the folks who do this are just paying for coffee, soda, gas, what have you, and the most they might need to ask me for is a pack of cigarettes. Plenty of folks will set the phone down on the counter, make their purchases, and then pick up their conversation as they leave. Fine by me.

There are those who won't put the phone down because they're too wrapped up in the conversation. I've been one of them myself (usually on the phone with maintenance, IT, or the boss because of some kind of equipment trouble.) I've been in this line of work long enough that I usually don't care about the cellphones. Hell, if they're occupied enough by that they're not bitching about the cost of gas/cigs/everything else I'll call that a win.

The other day, though, some kid took not just the cake but the whole bake sale. The kid was maybe 19, 20, had pumped a few gallons of gas and brought some health food --doritos and a couple cans of red bull, that kind-- and all the while he was watching a sitcom on his phone. I couldn't tell which one but I could clearly hear the laugh track. Took his cash, made his change, bagged up his merch, and he didn't say a word. Didn't laugh at whatever he was watching, either. I watched him watch it all the way out to the car where he got into the passenger side and (I'm guessing) his girlfriend drove away.

Believe it or not I'm more envious than anything else. Even if my cellphone could play video, the battery wouldn't even make it through a Head-On commercial. "Apply directly to the <bzzt-click>" Mine's an LG, which is a Korean company. I think mine was built by the North Koreans...
    "Love keeps her in the air when she ought fall down, let's you know she's hurting 'fore she keens...makes her a home."

Well, I rather like my LG. It's been through a lot and I've done a lot of damage to it in the two years I owned it:

-Dropped it in the lake (it was an accident)
    -Dropped it in a glass of sweet tea (Don't ask)
    -Left it on top of the car and drove away, only to hear it go *thuink!* on the pavement (I was in a drive way so I could stop and get it)
    -Had it go flying outta my hand and into a random dog's mouth (good boy Randy-Dog!)
    And the general wear and tear that comes from being owned by a teenager.

I think that guy may have had one of those new Smart Phones. But I'd never watch tv or anything on one of those things; Screen's too small.
    Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Is this what we've come to as a society? (Rhetorical question; of course it is.)

You can't buy gas and chips without watching TV? I love technology and all, but geez. I know it hurts to not be in TV's warming glowing warming glow, but it can be done.

And now, to counteract my entire argument, here's a site that shows all (or most, at this point) of the Simpsons episodes. Spent a lot of time there recently.

http://www.watchthesimpsonsonline.com/
      Excuse me, good sir paladin, can you direct me to your EVIL district?

http://www.dywhcomic.com

Comment

OMG, I had no idea that site existed! My wife probably isn't going to see me for years!
        "Wouldn't that be unethical?"
        "That's only an issue for those who aren't already in Hell."
        --Dilbert

Comment

LG typically makes good products. They're definitely South Korean.

Still, watching TV while doing all that? Score a LIFE!
          "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

I've had people call other people inside the same store as them. It's not that big of a store damnit. Go enjoy some social interaction.
            "Sometimes, I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion!"

Comment

Quoth Apathy View Post

And now, to counteract my entire argument, here's a site that shows all (or most, at this point) of the Simpsons episodes. Spent a lot of time there recently.

oh my god i freakin love you!!!!! i love the simpsons

Comment

OMG !!!! *book marked simpsons site to watch t work*

AWESOME !

Comment

I don't mean to say my phone is junk-- it's survived all kinds of stupid shit that shoulda killed it off. It's just about as plain and unfancy as a cellphone gets. No camera, no MP3, no Bluetooth, no much of anything else. I've had a few chances to upgrade in the two years I've had it, and I haven't done so yet. When I actually feel like spending money on a cellphone I'll probably look at an LG before anything else.
                  "Love keeps her in the air when she ought fall down, let's you know she's hurting 'fore she keens...makes her a home."

Comment

My LG 4015 has been great - it's survived the occasional drop, and it does what I want a cell phone to do dependably, receive and place phone calls.

I'll have to replace it in July, thanks to AT&T buying out my cell provider and having everybody buy a new phone to change over - even though my phone would probably work just by putting in a new SIM.

On topic, I don't like having anything that can do multiple things, computers withheld of course. When the unit, say a fax/copier/printer combo machine fails, you can't fax, copy, or print. At least with separate units you can still do 2 out of 3.

Oh, and thanks for the link!

Comment

Quoth Apathy View Post

*squeals in joy* I think I love you, Apathy! I have THE most basic cellphone from Samsung...the A117 model. No bluetooth, MP3 and no video.
                      Last edited by tropicsgoddess; 04-12-2008, 09:17 PM.
                      I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                      Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                      Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

All I have to say is....urge to buy cell phone jammer rising I get that more then every couple days. I get it multiple times in one day.
                        Pit bull-

There is no breed of dog more in need of our compassion; in need of our call to arms on their behalf; and in need of what should be the full force of our enduring sanctuary.

Comment

Quoth counterjockey View Post
                          I don't mean to say my phone is junk-- it's survived all kinds of stupid shit that shoulda killed it off. It's just about as plain and unfancy as a cellphone gets. No camera, no MP3, no Bluetooth, no much of anything else. I've had a few chances to upgrade in the two years I've had it, and I haven't done so yet. When I actually feel like spending money on a cellphone I'll probably look at an LG before anything else.
                          Heh, I'll trade you mine. It has bluetooth, internet, you can download any music you want onto it (Vcast), a pretty decent camera and texting abilities.

The funny thing is I don't want all that crap. Except maybe the bluetooth, because I found a little bluetooth ear thingy that works with the phone. But so far I've got this awesome phone and I've blocked just about all the uber features except for internet because Verizon won't allow me to do that. No big deal, I was happy to get the text messages blocked.
                          Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

I have a fancy cell phone. I only own it because it was cheap and hot pink.

Other than the phone service, I don't want it for anything else. I don't do texting, and if I want a camera, I'll buy a freaking camera. It'd have more memory and take better pics.

^-.-^
                            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I have the LG Voyager, its kind of like the Iphone. I have mobile TV on the phone which comes in handy on break at work but I never use it in a store. I'd probably trip and fall on my face if I tried walking & watching TV.

Comment

Working...
                              X