This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Stormraven View Post
    Ah yes, the mysterious 'They'. They're always causing trouble.
    Aren't they though! They tend to tell people the stupidest things.
    Excuse me, good sir paladin, can you direct me to your EVIL district?

http://www.dywhcomic.com

Comment

Quoth karma_gypsy View Post
      I imagine tax preparers and accountants are probably running their hineys off today (any tax preparers or accountants here??). It'll probably be pretty darn difficult to get your taxes done by a qualified person.
      My great-uncle runs his own shop as an accountant. My aunt works for him. My mother also does accounting, but during tax season, she works for my uncle's primary competition in the town they live; the only hispanic accountant in the area, to whom nearly every hispanic goes to have their taxes done.

They will likely still be doing tax returns until about a month from now. All of the people they could were done on time, all of the others who waited until the last possible second all got extensions filed, and they'll have theirs done over the course of the next month or so.

I sent my tax stuff to my mom kind of late. It was all mailed in late March. When I got it all back, I signed what I had to and sent it all off the next Monday, which was three weeks ago.

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
      "I suggest H&R Block. Their number is ###-####"
      I wouldn't.

My mother and aunt both worked for them in different capacities for several years about a decade back. The stories they've told will keep me away.

Oh, Nekojin and I passed a post office on a major street on the way back from a Costco run. There were people picketing, for some reason, but he didn't get a good enough look at their signs. I didn't even see them, so they must not have been very good.

^-.-^
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post

I wouldn't.

My mother and aunt both worked for them in different capacities for several years about a decade back. The stories they've told will keep me away.

Even better....
        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Who is "they" she keeps referring to? I also wonder if the post office gets lunatics like this as well?

When I was a toll operator for Bellsouth, we always had people that would call on April 15th, some in tears, because they hadn't filed their taxes and were afraid of being hauled off to jail. Not sure why these people thought I could help them.

Comment

Quoth Anakah View Post
            At our library they do taxes for people over fifty or whatever...

Yes, AARP has a program where they will have people who are trained to do so, do taxes free of charge for poeple over a certain age, ususally in the libraries. My dad did this, but the only connection the library has is to provide the location - they have NOTHING to do with the actual preparation. Maybe she was confused about that? But this service only prepares the returns, they don't actually file them for the client, and they stop about a week before tax day.

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post

Oh, Nekojin and I passed a post office on a major street on the way back from a Costco run. There were people picketing, for some reason, but he didn't get a good enough look at their signs. I didn't even see them, so they must not have been very good.

^-.-^
              the ones here had "death to all taxes" signs, which, without taxes, we wouldn't have a military, so we wouldn't need military bases, so our local economy would crumble.

Comment

Ok, "death to all taxes" is just stupid. He's pretty sure that's not what the sign he saw said, however.

^-.-^
                Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I actually did my taxes on Jan 31 in the evening, I had to file amendments for both state and federal though.
                  I had income from something the year before but hadn't been disbursed until last year.
                  Meant I owed another 5 bucks but still doing them too early was a hassle. Definitely gonna wait another 2 weeks next year.

Comment

I finished my taxes the weekend before Tax day (the 13th) because it took me until that friday to get my last W-2 in from the grocery store I worked at.

Used the free Turbo Tax softwear (free as long as you make less then $30,000 a year, which I do) and e-filed. I'm supposed to be getting my refund three days after rent is due.
                    Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

I finished my taxes...finally. I actually had the federal tax form done last month but I didn't get the state tax form filled out until earlier this month.

I mean it this time--next year I'm doing them as soon after I get my W-2s.
                      Unseen but seeing
                      oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                      There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                      3rd shift needs love, too
                      RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Somewhat on-topic... When I sent my forms in (well in advance ) I noticed something interesting. Why is it that the federal form I had to send in was only 2-3 pages...but the one for Pennsylvania was about 10? What's up with that? Shouldn't that be the other way around?
                        Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Pro, I have yet to figure out why state tax forms are more complicated in every way than the federal ones.
                          Unseen but seeing
                          oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                          There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                          3rd shift needs love, too
                          RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Of course we all know that Pennsylvania is the home of red tape...right, MadMike?
                            Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

I have a CPA that does my taxes because my deductions are more complicated than the average taxpayer, since I use my home for childcare and I can write off stuff that most people can't. Plus she's good at finding deductions that I would never have thought of.

I get all my stuff together when we get it all in, and drop it off, and they're done by the end of the week. We go sign, pay them, and wait for our direct deposit to come in. We had our refund (both) by 2/15 this year. All gone of course, but it paid off bills.
                              "We go through our careers and things happen to us. Those experiences made me what I am."-Thomas Keller

Comment

I never do my tax returns before March 15, because I believe companies have until March 15 to send out amended 1099's, etc.

I know some people at work who did theirs early had to re-do their returns because the 401k fairness things were sent late (that's where people who did the right thing and put in a lot into their 401ks are punished because other folks in the company making less than them put less into their 401k's, something with making sure the company doesn't discriminate in favor of those making more money or some such crap).

Comment

Working...
                                X