Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

why can't I register 3 hours before the event starts?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• why can't I register 3 hours before the event starts?

I work for a large women's organization. Our events are always well-attended, and often sell out. Today is the 10th birthday of said organization. We have a BIG party scheduled tonight, the details have been out for months, we've advertised it a couple of times a week for almost as long.

The event is now 3 hours away. It's completely sold out--even if we did take a registration, all the reg packets have been taken to the ship, and the event team is already there.

Me: Hello, thank you for calling (org), how can I help you?
    SC: Yes, I was wondering if you can help me get signed up for the event tonight?
    Me: Is that the event on (well-known aquatic destination in SoCal)?
    SC: Yes, that's it.
    Me: I'm sorry, that event has been sold out since yesterday.
    SC: What??
    Me: It's completely sold out.
    SC: *in whiniest little-girl pouting voice I've heard from someone over the age of 6* Ohhhhh...........*yes, you can hear the pout* Really?
    Me: Yes, since yesterday. We can't take any more registrations at all.
    SC:.....
    Me:.....
    SC:.....
    Me: Is there anything else I can help you with today?
    SC: *still in despondent 6-yr-old mode* No....I wanted to go. *click*

IT'S 3 HOURS BEFORE THE DOORS OPEN!!!!!! WE'VE BEEN TAKING REGISTRATIONS SINCE NOVEMBER!!!!
    "Eventually, everything that you have said becomes everything you will ever say." Eireann

My pony dolls: http://equestriarags.tumblr.com

Oh you gotta love it when they try the pouty face and baby voice. they actually think its gonna work.
    "They're magically delicious, bitch!"- Kara, http://www.customerssuck.com/board/s...ad.php?t=34968

Comment

Does this involve the colors wed and burple?
      Labor boards have info on local laws for free
      HR believes the first person in the door
      Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
      Document everything
      CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

update

I relayed this conversation to two coworkers who thought it was at least as funny as I did. One stood at my desk for 3 minutes, trying to imitate the sound of an audible pout. She managed a pretty respectable imitation of it, too.
        "Eventually, everything that you have said becomes everything you will ever say." Eireann

My pony dolls: http://equestriarags.tumblr.com

Comment

Audible pouts are very common. We get them all the time. My Husband and I belong to several groups that often visit cruise ships for a lunch and a tour when the ship is in port. As can be imgined, these things sell out very quickly because seating is limited.

I can't tell you how many whines we get. Here a Classic one:

"But we've GOT to go to that lunch! [on the original Love Boat] That ship was our Honeymoon ship. Isn't there any way you can get us on?"

Can't do it. You had at least a month and a half to register. All the available slots for this lunch are filled. You can get a take-out meal and eat it as you watch the ship from the pier but you're not going to eat lunch aboard. Sorry. It can't be done at this late date.

For those who don't know, When a ship tour is scheduled, participants must register in advance. They must provide their passport numbers on the application. When they check in for the lunch, their passports are checked against the manifest and, if everything tallies, the passport is retained and the participant is given a card that must be swiped on and off the ship. You wear it clipped to your shirt.

Once your time on the ship is over you must surrender your card to reclaim your passport. Yes, it's a hassle but seeing these wonderful ships is something we like to do. We spend a few hours aboard and might possibly feel what life is like on that ship.
          Research is the art of reading what everyone has read and seeing what no one else has seen.

Comment

Quoth JoitheArtist View Post
            SC: *still in despondent 6-yr-old mode* No....I wanted to go. *click*
            You snooze, you loose! She should have registered ahead of time like everyone else. She has no one to blame but herself.
            "500 bucks, that's almost a million!"
            ~Curly from the 3 Stooges

Comment

Quoth wagegoth View Post
              Does this involve the colors wed and burple?
              What about "lellow" (as my 2 yr old niece says)?

SC
              "...four of his five wits went halting off, and now is the whole man governed with one..." W. Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing Act I, Sc I

Do you like Shakespeare? Join us The Globe Theater!

Comment

Quoth Tito View Post
                You snooze, you loose! She should have registered ahead of time like everyone else. She has no one to blame but herself.
                Exactly!!! Too bad, so sad for that SC.
                I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Working...
                X