This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why are scammers mean?

I will start this off with the fact, I HATE scammer scum, they are lying thieves, who think they are smart, but ruin things for everyone else.

Two of the more popular scams for our customers are placing orders and then demanding a refund saying A) order tracks as delivered but didn't receive B) saying some items were missing from the order.

We have some customers that have been getting full and partial refunds on almost all of their orders for over a year. To effectively run this scam the scammer must call in and speak to a CSR. I don't get why when they do this they are often EXTREMELY RUDE and mean, making direct insults against reps, and making huge issues of things that even the most sucky non-stealing customers wouldn't bat an eye at. When the scammers are nice we just put in a request and corporate makes the decision or not refund. corporate seems to not look at order history to carefully for the most part (I doubt there has ever been anyone truly unlucky enough to get 20 orders over a 2 year period messed up).

I just got off the phone with a customer who was EXTREMELY condescending from the get go. I answered the call he starting bitching with "I placed an order and there is a major problem" I start using my soft skills "I'm so sorry to hear that". Every time I try to be nice he gives a snotty "you should be".

Next he gives me a lame ass story saying he ordered several hundred dollars of shirts and pants. He says he didn't receive any pants at all and he spoke to a rep the other day who told him there was a computer glitch and we didn't charge nor ship any pants on his order (sounds fishy to me). So I finally get the order number from him (I always try to get order #'s ASAP I don't want to be told by the customer what went on I want to see it for myself) I pull up the order, I see all pants shipped and rep had filed a request for refund saying all pants were missing. I take my maximum allowable time on hold (under 5 minutes) checking to see if all his pants are in stock so I can offer to place the replacement order right away. I come off holds and honestly apologize for the hold time. Idiot tears into me, "geez, thats SOOO UNPROFESSIONAL over 7 minutes on hold". I soft skill again "this was a very complicated situation it took me longer than I expected", he just starts complaining about hold time some more and asking for my name and a supervisor, I advise him I gave him my name at the beginning of the call and I'd be glad to transfer him to a sup. In under a minute of hold he hung up.

Why don't mean scammers realizing acting like a jerk means I will get on there order history like a rapid dog and leave SUPER DETAILED notes of the call and previous orders for corporate to see? I hate lying jerky thieves.

They are trying to fluster you to get you to either, cave into their demands or escalate to a spineless manager who will cave.
    They say crime doesn't pay. That must mean what I'm doing at work is illegal.

Comment

Sorens hit it right on the head.

-I'm Rubiko, and I approved this message
      "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Quoth Angry_Hippie View Post
        I don't get why when they do this they are often EXTREMELY RUDE and mean, making direct insults against reps, and making huge issues of things that even the most sucky non-stealing customers wouldn't bat an eye at.
        I can probably answer that question. This is the MO of most scammers, because 99 per cent of the time, the SC knows the CSR they are speaking with will do whatever it takes to get them off their line and get rid of that awful SC. It is easier for the CSR to cave in and just believe this SC rather than say to them, "Oh, I'm sorry, we'll have that looked into." Some CSR's are more "thin-skinned" than others, and those are the CSRs that the SC's hope to get.

The ones I hate are the SC's who would call in for an explanation of their "high bill", and during the entire time, would constantly interrupt and overtalk you in an attempt to confuse the hell out of you, thereby causing you to hopefully credit whatever charges they didn't like.

Believe me, you're not the only person who deals with scum like this. Been there, done that.

Comment

Quoth pssorens View Post
          They are trying to fluster you to get you to either, cave into their demands or escalate to a spineless manager who will cave.
          Bingo. 5 years in CS taught me beyond any doubt that the more of a complete pain the ass you are, the more likely it is that you'll get what you want. SCs understand this and dutifully play the part.
          I will never go to school!

Comment

Quoth pssorens View Post
            Quoted For Truth(QFT)

Comment

This is why you MUST get promoted to management. Then when it gets kicked up to you, you can say NO it's quite fun. It's sometimes hard to resist the urge to scream "I am the manager beatch!"

Comment

Do we work for the same company?

Or maybe we just have the same scammers.. either way, that was my life before I got a promotion. We always took their word for it and refunded their money right away, and sent out a replacement.

I want to know how much money we lose on scammers.

Comment

With in THEORY they should NOT be getting refunds for missing items or missing orders on almost every order. It should be occasional and fairly rare, as to missing packages the customer must contact the shipping carrier for more information and then call us back. At that point we issue the refund in 24-72 hours and we get our money back by filing a claim against the shipper. It the package tracked as delivered and the claim verified it as delivered and customer says it wasn't received from that point on we are no longer responsible for orders shipped to that address and we advise the customer of this and STRONGLY suggest they ship to a more secure address.

I don't know what the deal with our admin team is though. For example we have one customer for over 2 years she has been claiming every order she received arrived as just an empty box with nothing in it. The first time it was refunded. The second time around she was advised we would refund one more time, but in the future we would no longer refund her for "empty" packages and she would need to file a claim with the shipper and get her money back that way. For two years this went on, sometimes they would refund no questions ask, sometimes they deny the request saying customer must file claim herself do to her history. Most often it would be a refund on our end. There is NO WAY someone could receive about 30 empty boxes and still shop with us.

Just within the last 4 months they have began constantly denying her refunds and I think its because we have a regular CSR's (not admin) who will go through this girls order history every day and when she finds a new order she will copy and paste a deny note from admin saying how/why we won't refund.

I don't know its because admin doesn't pay attention or if they have some other pressure to keep the "customer" happy. I think these thieves are non-customers and cost way more that what they steal. The take up TONS of billable talk time because they bitch and complain longer and more than real SC's they also are much more likely to call over and over (often 8-10 calls per order), and it wastes admins time. I don't think anything should be done to try and retain them, it wouldn't even hurt word of mouth in my opinion their friends and family probably know the truth.

Comment

If managers/corporate types had spines this would end quickly as Sc's would see that screaming to get their way does not work. Sadly corp. types want to keep the "customer" happy.

Comment

Quoth hawkchick11 View Post
                      I want to know how much money we lose on scammers.
                      You probably don't.

You'd cry.
                      Unseen but seeing
                      oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                      There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                      3rd shift needs love, too
                      RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Working...
                      X