Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nothing like a little anti-Semitism at work.....

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth sms001 View Post
    (The big bonus to being fairly free of racial prejudice is that when I think of that root word I almost always think of Negra Modelo. mmmm... Stupid touristas can keep their Coronas!)
    Coronas and Negra Modelos should never be mentioned in the same breath! After all, Negra Modelos are awesome beers, and Coronas are...well, they're Mexican Budweisers, for all intents and purposes!

Quoth sms001 View Post
    I'd also like to take a quick moment to point out that I assumed that you evaluated these SC's on more points than you brought up in the thread.
    Well, no. The women were pleasant, even nice, but the comment the older lady used (twice) was just too offensive to pass up. I am quite sure she wasn't offensive intentionally. Which is what makes it all the more offensive, when you think about it!

Quoth MystyGlyttyr View Post
    Very OT, but, oh my God, I know Kinky! He knows the editor or something, he's up here quite a bit. That man is a FREAK! He's awesome! I never knew he was an author, though. I'm going to have to look into finding his books now.
    A friend/coworker of mine loaned me Kinky Friedman's CD once, and though I had it for many weeks, never really listened to it. Apparently the dude is freakin' hilarious!

Quoth Pagan View Post
    I believe it was Voltaire that said, "I may not approve of what you say, but will defend to the death your right to say it."
    Quoted from another source:

The phrase "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" is widely attributed to Voltaire, but cannot be found in his writings. With good reason. The phrase was invented by a later author as an epitome of his attitude. It appeared in The Friends of Voltaire (1906), written by Evelyn Beatrice Hall under the pseudonym S[tephen] G. Tallentyre. ...

Hall wrote:

...The men who had hated [the book], and had not particularly loved Helvétius, flocked round him now. Voltaire forgave him all injuries, intentional or unintentional. 'What a fuss about an omelette!' he had exclaimed when he heard of the burning. How abominably unjust to persecute a man for such an airy trifle as that! 'I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it,' was his attitude now.

Hall herself claimed later that she had been paraphrasing Voltaire's words in his Essay on Tolerance: "Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so too." -- http://www.plexoft.com/SBF/V02.html

Source: http://www.classroomtools.com/voltaire.htm

Quoth Pagan View Post
    Negra Modelo?! Have you no taste? Dos Equis all the way! Especially Dos Equis Amber.
    XX Amber is great....but is NOTHING compared to the greatness that is Negra Modelo. The only Mexican beer that has won numerous international beer awards. 'Nuff said!

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
    Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
      Coronas and Negra Modelos should never be mentioned in the same breath! After all, Negra Modelos are awesome beers, and Coronas are...well, they're Mexican Budweisers, for all intents and purposes!
      According to the Mexicans I've met, Corona is more like the Mexican Foster's. The beer that nobody drinks in it's country of origin so it's exported.

Comment

From my experiences in Mexico, I would have to agree with that assessment.

Still A Customer."

Comment

Jester
          “Well, no. The women were pleasant, even nice, but the comment the older lady used (twice) was just too offensive to pass up. I am quite sure she wasn't offensive intentionally. Which is what makes it all the more offensive, when you think about it!”

What the lady said is a common phrase, you may not like it, but she may not realize that what she’s saying is racists. Given that she’s also in her 40/50’s she may have grown up hearing that type of speech from her parents.

My husbands grandmother can spout 15 racially epitaphs’ in about 5 minutes but she doesn’t mean any harm by them. And in the area’s she’s lived in a lot of them are true, giving a true to life proof that stereo types usually have a basis in fact. She’ll also talk about WW2 using all of the racial names for the Germans, Italians and Japanese. Her kids have had to learn not to use them, or at least not use them around most people. I’ve found my self using one of her terms with out even realizing it, and had to curtail it once my husband pointed it out. Found my self calling mixed people Oreo’s (mixed as in having black and white parents) It made sense to me, and since I liked the cookies very much I didn’t really put any thought into the connotations that caused.

I think SirWired put it best
          “Assuming your customer is a bigot and getting your blood pressure all worked up may be a bit of an over-reaction. Instead some impromptu education may be in order. If they really meant nothing by it, they will probably be embarrassed, but not angry at you. If they really are bigoted morons, well, you don't want to be serving them anyway.”

Sort of like how if I wanted to be a bigoted moron I could mention using the phrase “cheap bastards” is offensive to bastards everywhere.

Comment

I'm 1/2 Jewish, from a heavily Jewish part of Michigan, and have lots of Jewish friends. Strangly, we don't get a lot of anti-semetic jokes around here. Maybe it has something to do with my 300lb Jewish cousin and my Renissance Festivale Fight-team Jewish friends.
            "Because that's how magical meteoric size-altering space goo works." IMDB Message boards.

Comment

Quoth Bradester View Post
              I've never heard the term "Newfie" used in that fashion. Is it more of a Canadian thing, referring to people from Newfoundland?
              Yup. Think the Canadian term for yokel. The reason is that Newfoundland has one of the highest unemployment rates in the country and the stereotype is that whenever you talk to someone from Newfoundland, your I.Q. drops 20 points, similar to the stereotype about the deep south in the US.

Now it can be used in a positive light (all the people I've met from there refer to themselves as Newfies) as people from newfoundland, but the derogatory reference is lazy, slackjawed bums who rely collectively on welfare. It's not particularly true, but since when has a term like that ever been accurate 100%?
              I AM the evil bastard!
              A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Quoth Sliceanddice View Post
                ... still like con money but in a more pirate girl way
                Does that mean I'm not the only one who calls the brass bucks "dubloons"?
                Proud to be a Walmart virgin.

Comment

I heard somewhere that the main reason for anti-Semitism is that all through history Jewish communities have been oppressed, and yet they continue to thrive. Also the "Jews are cheap" thing comes from a time when the only occupation they were allowed to have was moneylender, and so they got very good at it (including the part where you don't lend money to people who aren't likely to repay it).

Therefore anti-Semites are SCs.

Comment

Quoth edible_hat View Post
                    I heard somewhere that the main reason for anti-Semitism .
                    Well, given what Jester has said during the course of this thread, there really was no antisemitism involved. It's a nice clickable thread title, but the women weren't sucky, racist, or bigoted (to Jester's eye) - just ignorant on etymology.

BTW, you're right - advancing economics couldn't survive without borrowing/lending. Since this was forbidden by the church, someone else had to provide the grease.
                    (We got over that whole not lending thing. )

Comment

Quoth Mark Healey View Post
                      Does that mean I'm not the only one who calls the brass bucks "dubloons"?
                      well i call those gold dollar coins crowns sometimes and i have no idea what a brass buck is....

Comment

Quoth Sliceanddice View Post
                        well i call those gold dollar coins crowns sometimes and i have no idea what a brass buck is....
                        Ah, Dice, "brass buck" is a nickname for those gold colored dollars- They're coated in brass. Though may I add the brass buck is a new term to me too. We just call em Sacajaweas here. (probably slaughtering that honorable woman's name in the process, but such is fame)
                        "Respect: to admit that something one may not enjoy or prefer might still have great value." ~L. Munoa

Comment

oh well then i not exactly i would get a bunch at my old job (vending machine had them and took them) and when ever i broke a 5 i would come back, sit down and giggle and say looks like i have another caste of crowns for my chest confusng my coworkers to no end

Comment

One side of my family has Jews. The other side has Travellers(Irish Gypsies). So whenever someone says "Jew'd" or "gyp'd", I stop what I'm doing and walk away. It's the only way I can not punch someone in the throat.
                            "I don't have to take this abuse from you, I've got hundreds of people dying to abuse me."
                            "Free at last from my vegetable prison!"
                            X-Strike Studios: Video game movies done RIGHT!

Comment

I never understood what's so offensive about being Jewish. Back in Highschool there was a guy who constantly called me "the six two jew" I never understood what he was trying to get at there.

I never heard the phrase until my sister's fiancee used it once. Same with n-rigged. My family always said "Jerry-Rigged". (I too was not aware of the "gyp" term's origins)

Oddly enough, I'll get Catholic racism occasionally. My mother once told off my Dad's cousin because she kept spouting off about Catholics, and "they do this, and that" kind of thing.

I'll never understand racism. I can understand hating or disliking certain people, but to hate an entire group because of the actions of 1 is just stupid.

I'll leave you with two quotes from a friend of mine, that got him much grief from me.

"You know, Halle Berry would be really hot if she wasn't black"
                              and
                              "I'd rather they allow people to chew gum at Disney World than them allowing gay people in"

Comment

Quoth draftermatt View Post
                                I never understood what's so offensive about being Jewish.
                                Not a damn thing. There is nothing offensive about being Jewish. But if people refer to someone as "being Jewish" and they aren't discussing religion, chances are good that they are saying that the person in question is cheap, or will cheat you if given the chance. It's a bad stereotype that has been hung on Jews for generations, and frankly, I find it about as funny as cancer.

Still A Customer."

Comment

Working...
                                X