This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did you think that would work?

Okay, so as those who have been playing along at home know, I work in collections. No, we are not the ones that buy 17 year old debt and/or call your grandmother about your bill. I call businesses all over the USA because they owe us money for what ever the hell they bought.

I swear I get at least once a day "Can you take so much off the bill?" "Could you take off the late fees?" No, no I can not, even if I was inclined to do so, which I'm not. You see, this would make boss man very angry with me and I would rather face your wrath than his, mmkay? I like to make boss man happy, so that he doesn't throw me out the door and/or break my legs.

No, trying to sweet talk me won't work either, it just creeps me out, especially if your another woman, so knock it off.

I don't care how much you scream that you just must have my last name, it's not going to happen. Sure, I'll get boss man on the phone, but he will not give it out either and will make you feel like an idiot for even asking. You see, boss man is very concerned about the safety of his employees and will not give out our last names. He doesn't want us to have to have us deal with stalkers and yes, it has happened, not to me, but to others.

No, we are not over seas, do I sound like I'm calling from over seas? I have been told I have a Midwestern accent, but I don't know how that would make you think I'm calling from over seas.

So, in closing, just pay the bill and we will both be much happier people. Oh, and no, I can not say that you will be talking to me again if you don't pay. There are others who call too, so next time it might be one of them, sorry.
    Do not annoy the woman with the flamethrower!

If you don't like it, I believe you can go to hell! ~Trinity from The Matrix

Yes, MadMike does live under my couch.

Women hit on you? (sweet talk = Translated into EQ speak = Being hit on)
    Lucky! No one hits on me. (Not even guys. I still look like jail bait)

Maybe you should take your flame thrower to the phone...
    Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Misanthropical, where ya been? We've been wondering about you.

To be fair, I can understand why people expect you to "potentially" take off late fees and whatnot. So much is in the media about reducing, compromising or settling debt that these people probably figure why not give it a shot? Having not worked in collections myself I gotta ask, other companies allow this don't they?

And kudos to your boss for trying to protect the staff. About a decade ago (jeez, that long ago?) I used to do telemarketing. We had to give our full name, but were allowed to make up a name if we wanted to (within reason, natch). At the time I didn't consider it a big deal, but you better believe I'd be watching who I gave my name to nowadays. Especially since it's an unusual name and there's only one of me in the phone book.
      A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth Evil Queen View Post
        Women hit on you? (sweet talk = Translated into EQ speak = Being hit on)
        Lucky! No one hits on me. (Not even guys. I still look like jail bait)

Maybe you should take your flame thrower to the phone...
        first- i can hit on you!!!!

second gah people kill must not stupod infecting us all

Comment

Quoth Sliceanddice View Post
          first- i can hit on you!!!!
          YAY!
          Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Quoth Evil Queen View Post
            YAY!
            wow rarely has a straight girl ever said that to me... they usualyy just tell me if i take them to agy bar warn them so they dont get kicked out for getting drunk and hitting on 23 guys

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
              So much is in the media about reducing, compromising or settling debt that these people probably figure why not give it a shot?
              Man, and here I am, reading the book that's been starting the media frenzy... it's an interesting book, don't get me wrong, but... I dunno, it seems odd to suggest calling your creditor and attempting to negotiate your balance. It reminds me of all the people who want to haggle over the price of that slightly dented can of soup.
              "I call murder on that!"

Comment

People are stupid AND greedy. Selling books that claim to tell them how to get out of paying bills ... well, it's an easy sale.
                "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

When I did telemarketing, everybody on the floor was either Stéphane or Stéphanie Dubois. Even those with an accent that made it obvious they were not Stéphane or Stéphanie Dubois at all. Bonus points when two different people, with very diffent voices, get the same persone twice in a row over different numbers.

No wonder I didn't last more than one month. Ungh...
                  "I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."

Comment

Quoth marasbaras View Post
                    People are stupid AND greedy. Selling books that claim to tell them how to get out of paying bills ... well, it's an easy sale.
                    I bet the guy selling those books is smart enough to ask for cash up front.

Comment

Working in the Call Center from hell, we got that all the time. Since it was a mail order music club, these people would go crazy placing huge orders that they could not pay for. Keep in mind that payment in full was due within 30 days of the shipment of the order. But once the account was in collections, they would call and whine about all the bad things that had happened to them to prevent them from paying the bill. They too would demand that the late fees be waived (our late fees maxed out at $5) They would want to negotiate their balances down and would be highly offended when I would tell them that they must either pay in full or return the product at their expense. Many times, the excuse would be that they lost their job. But when I would ask when that happened, it was ALWAYS before they placed the order they could not pay for. Many would wait until they were 30 days from collections and then ask to make partial payments. They would then be highly offended when I would tell them that it was way too late for that. Most of them had the attitude that because it was just CDs, that it was not important and that if it went to collections it wouldn't affect their credit. Then when they would try to get a credit card or a loan, they would go ballistic and scream at us for ruining their credit.
                      "I guess they see another cash cow just waiting to be dry humped." - Irving Patrick Freleigh

Comment

Quoth Juwl View Post
                        I dunno, it seems odd to suggest calling your creditor and attempting to negotiate your balance.
                        Well, on one hand you have the chance to receive SOME money. If the customer files bankruptsy or otherwise says to heck with you, then your company gets nothing. You can file for wage garnishment of course, but you're talking court fees and lawyer costs. It may be financially worthwile to settle.
                        A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

The excuses I hear from people for not paying their bill sometimes make me want to smack my head on my desk.

People will try to tell me they are in bankruptcy, but when I ask them for the info about the bankruptcy they hang up. Did they really think we are just going to take their word for it?

They have to go higher up the ladder if they are hoping for a settlement, since that is not up to me. I have to ask for the whole amount, period. I'm not going to risk my job by haggling with people.
                          Do not annoy the woman with the flamethrower!

If you don't like it, I believe you can go to hell! ~Trinity from The Matrix

Yes, MadMike does live under my couch.

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
                            Well, on one hand you have the chance to receive SOME money. If the customer files bankruptsy or otherwise says to heck with you, then your company gets nothing. You can file for wage garnishment of course, but you're talking court fees and lawyer costs. It may be financially worthwile to settle.
                            Yup, we give settlements in my position on a regular basis. Better to have most of the money now than only some of it in 5 years.

But of course, the industry average for recovery in my job is 3-4%. My department manages 8%. So with those numbers, any payment is a good payment!

Comment

Working...
                            X