Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't mind, but I really don't get the concept of a greeter. A person paid just to say "Hello, welcome to [Whatever] !" ? What's the point ? How does that enhance the shopping experience ? If it's a small store, they obviously don't need a designated greeter, if it's a big one, once you're in, wandering through the store, your just another anonymous customer. An anonymous customer who've been greeted, but an anonymous customer still.
    "I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."

Comment

Quoth depechemodefan View Post
      Yeech, the woman has severe problems. Maybe back home her maid is the one that goes out to the store. I forget, does GB make people buy the plastic bags?
      In some places, like Marks & Spencers; in the supermarket where I work, it's an option but there are also free plastic bags on offer.
      People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
      My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth Samaliel View Post
        I don't mind, but I really don't get the concept of a greeter. A person paid just to say "Hello, welcome to [Whatever] !" ? What's the point ? How does that enhance the shopping experience ? If it's a small store, they obviously don't need a designated greeter, if it's a big one, once you're in, wandering through the store, your just another anonymous customer. An anonymous customer who've been greeted, but an anonymous customer still.
        It's also Loss Prevention... a set of eyes that are, in theory, always there to watch the door and see what's setting off the electronic sensors.
        ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
        And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Makes more sense like this.
          "I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."

Comment

Quoth Lace Neil Singer View Post
            Me: Do you have a store card?
            SC: No. *rolls eyes* I already told you I was on holiday.
            Just a note: either you mis-remembered what he said, or he acclimatized REALLY quickly, or he wasn't an American.
            See, Americans don't go on holiday, we go on vacation.
            In American English, a holiday is a date on a calendar, usually to commemorate something or other, and often accompanied by certain (non-retail) businesses closing. Some are declared by the national government (a "Federal Holiday"), some are observed by only certain types of businesses (a "Bank Holiday"), and some are observed only by people of certain faiths (a "Jewish Holiday" or "Catholic Holiday", or "(Insert Religion Here) Holiday)".
            A trip to someplace else, especially someplace distant, for pleasure (rather than work) is a "vacation".
            Holidays are "observed", "taken", and "celebrated", and one may take that opportunity to go on vacation, but a holiday is an event or date, not a trip.

"On holiday" is like a litmus test for the English speaking: if they say it, they aren't an American.

Oh, and some American cards do have chips in them. I don't have one, but I have seen customers who do.

Comment

Australia it is then. XD
              If I get that SC in the mail, not only will I put a few wild dingos into the crate and write "return to sender" on it, I'll leave the SC in it. Take that!
              Michael: Maybe you'll be inspired by the boat party tonight and start a career as a pirate.
              Tobias: I haven't packed for that.
              <3 Arrested Development

Comment

Quoth SpyOne View Post
                Just a note: either you mis-remembered what he said, or he acclimatized REALLY quickly, or he wasn't an American.
                Er, I already said in my first post that I was typing in ENGLISH. Please reread it. Not meaning to be rude, but I was too irritated by said SC to be bothered to translate what they said.
                People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                My DeviantArt.

Comment

Great idea!

Can I at least send her to Alaska, in the hope that wolves will eat her?

I vote Nunavut. That way GK can write 867 stories about ordering pants and hats!

Comment

Quoth ditchdj View Post
                    Yeah but, in all fairness, you give us Gordon Ramsay.
                    ...and the Spice Girls too
                    Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

I was too irritated by said SC to be bothered to translate what they said.
                      It's okay Lace. I knew what you meant by Holiday. *hugs*
                      Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
                        ...and the Spice Girls too
                        Gah... you had to remind us?! Why?!
                        Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

When the SC was whining about, "That's how we do it at hoooooome!" I would have had a hard time restraining myself from responding, "Well, seeing as how you're not at home, I guess you can do it this way or GET OUT!"
                          "Thank God for the idiots: but for them, the rest of us could not succeed." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Quoth Evil Queen View Post
                            Gah... you had to remind us?! Why?!
                            We've already gotten our revenge...by thrusting that idiot Paris Hilton on the world...
                            Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
                              We've already gotten our revenge...by thrusting that idiot Paris Hilton on the world...
                              ...True that. But I kinda fear for the rest of the unsuspecting world...

Comment

SC: I can't wait to get back, if all Brits are this exacting.
                                Lace Neil Singer: And I do so hope you enjoy a most expeditent return, madam. Thank you, bye!
                                "Ignorance is no excuse for a law."
                                .................................................. ..................- Alfred E. Newman

Comment

Working...
                                X