This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hellish weekend.

Okay, I wanted to wait until this whole mess was over before posting anything. Now that it is (kinda) I can get my thoughts together so me fellow posters can relish in the misery.

It all started on the day of the Forth...

Mrs. M tells me that the convention group (some group from Nigeria, generally very nice people) has been a horror and have been trying to get discounts on top of their discounted rate. Their special convention rate is $79. Our usual rate is $105 (because it's a holiday weekend). Good deal, right? You would think so. Most of them try to get a Trip A (AAA) discount on top of their already discounted rate. I'm sorry, but our discounts don't stack. And the Trip A rate is $85.60.

So a bunch of them are preterbed about it. Oh well.

We also have a rather large Family Reunion group here. For the sake of the post, we'll say their group name is Ronald (nowhere near what it actually is). The Ronald group is a wonderful bunch of people, very nice and polite and the kids aren't terrors! YAY!

Now for the hellish part.

After checking in approximately 30 people (I keep track) it's getting near the end of my shift (it's like half an hour from it) when this guy comes over to the front desk to complain about the elevator being slow. I told him that it's the only elevator in the hotel, and we have three floors. He seemed still irked about that and asked where the stairs were. I told him we had stairs on both ends of the hotel at the end of the hall. He walks about halfway down one hall, comes back to my desk and asks again. He ignores me.
    Pushes the elevator button about a dozen times and bitches some more about it being slow.

I get on the phone with my elevator people and tell them it's acting up, can I please have someone come out in the morning? Sure! So I ignore it for another 2 minutes. My phones rings and the display tells me it's coming from the Elevator.

Me: Hello, front desk. Is there something wrong?
    Some Lady: Yes, I think the elevator is stuck!
    Me: Okay, keep calm. I'll reset it, it'll recall back to the ground floor.
    SL: Okay.

I go and reset the elevator. The guy that was bitching is back again telling me that the elevator is broken. I acknowledge him and tell him that I'm recalling the elevator, it should work just fine now. I flip the breaking switch and the engine roars to life.

But not for long.

I get another call.

SL: The elevator is still stuck!
    Me: Okay, I'll reset it again. It'll only be a minute.

I reset again and call my boss. I tell him the elevator is stuck and he suggests 911 Emergency.

Me, on the phone with the elevator again: I have 911 coming, can you tell me how many people are on the elevator?
    ::Nothing but noise, complaining and some guy screaming into what I assume is his phone, saying he'd been stuck for an HOUR (BULLSHIT!) and that it was UNACCEPTABLE!:: What are YOU doing about it being stuck?! (said in a little snotty tone, but considering the situation, I don't blame her)
    Me: Everything I can, ma'am.

Stupid, but I disconnected and called the elevator company back. I tell them to please put a rush on it since there are some people stuck, but can't determine how many are in there.

A very nice lady with the convention is telling me to calm down, take deep breathes (PMS and stress do not mix). It's not my fault, and told off some other guy that was bitching about the elevator. Thankfully, it was then that the Fire Engine and my beautiful saviors showed up. I yelled "Thank GAWD!" and asked the lady that was trying to calm me down if it sounded like an orgasmic scream. She laughed and said it did.

At this point we have a large group waiting in my father small lobby and everyone watches the Fire Crew open the elevator (with one request from the Elevator Technition to try not to break it). They get it open, 12 people get off. Now, this is a small elevator and houses maybe 4 people relatively comfortably. How the hell they missed the "800 lbs. weight limit" sign is beyond me.

By this time, the Elevator Tech has showed up. Another orgasmic "THANK GAWD!"

I write up "out of order" signs and have a fire fighter guy go up to the second and third floors (his idea, he said it was incase someone got up in my face about it) with me while I placed them. Most of the Ronald Family Gathering group was hanging around the lobby area of the second floor so I told them that the elevator is out of order but it WILL get fixed tonight! They are okay about it, said things happen and I got several hugs from the Head Matriarch of the family.

By the time I got back down to the front desk, half the convention people told me (read: screamed at me) that they would be checking out and where the hell was my manager? I called my boss, K, in a crying fit and told him to get here pronto. He was here 10 minutes after the end of my shift. I pawned the problems off on him, filled in Mr M. about the problems (he came in a little late, as usual) for his shift, signed the cash count papers, made my drop and I high tailed it to the nearest bar.

Hooters isn't too bad a place now that I've been there and our waitress was cute as a button! The lemon drop could have used better vodka though.
    Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

They're lucky. A few years ago here in NZ a group of around 14 teens got onto a wooden viewing platform overlooking a crevasse, that said it held (I think around) 8 people. They also jumped up and down on it. It collapsed and most of them died.

Those signs ain't there for kicks, people!

Personally, when it comes to lifts, I've always been amused that the max capacity always seems like way more than you can fit into it. I guess they're designed that way, but if max cap in your lift is 800lb then I wouldn't expect to get more than 4 people into it at all. Five at a real squeeze, and six if they were Real Good Friends. Twelve? That shouldn't be POSSIBLE in a lift that only holds 800lbs.

Comment

This post made me want to cry with you...

Im glad vodka makes everything better.....

Comment

Today got almost as bad, but I didn't have to call the emergency line or the cops. Just my boss.

Poor K.

So this lady was still in her room. When I booked her in last night, it was for two nights with the family reuonion and somewhere between her paying for it and today, wound up paying for only one night. I have no idea where the heck the rest of the money went (80.73$) and told her that since I fouled up I would pay for her room. K said to leave a note for S, our accountant, and I can get my money back. But DAMN! I know she only booked a room for one night and paid for one night, but she insisted so much and told my boss otherwise, I just wanted her to go away.

So, yes, an SC got a free room on my credit card, since my debit card was nowhere to be found!

(ETA, my debit card is in my other pants at the house I'm house sitting this week)

Vodka and CHOCOLATE makes everything better.
        Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Quoth Evil Queen View Post

So, yes, an SC got a free room on my credit card, since my debit card was nowhere to be found!
          wow, you care about your job more than mine... if I had something like that my wallet stays in my pocket... that's what either the rate override or F7 (charge reversal key) are for... the manager can kiss my ass if there's a problem, no job is worth it for me to have to pay money to keep it (beyond having to pay for independent training or certification).
          If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Poor you EQ.

Here, have a cookie.

:cookie:

Feel better now?

I could call Hooters and see if they have any hot guy bartenders...
            "Otherwise you are free to keep putting your hope in leprechauns, horseshoes and unicorn farts."-Gravekeeper

Comment

That's okay. K said that I'll get every penny back as soon as Accountant S comes in to cut the check. Monday morning. He just wanted to show the people that the room was "paid for" so I couldn't refund my card just yet.

Yes, I care about my job greatly. But, hey, you live and learn and get refunded!

Anyways, coworker M, who was supposed to relieve me at 11 didn't show up until 12:30!! AM!!!!!!!!!
              This is how I wind up with so many OT hours.

Comment

ok, coworker M gives all of us "M" night auditors a bad name... can I volunteer to him to get him back in line?
                If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Mrs. M tells me that the convention group (some group from Nigeria, generally very nice people) has been a horror and have been trying to get discounts on top of their discounted rate. Their special convention rate is $79. Our usual rate is $105 (because it's a holiday weekend). Good deal, right? You would think so. Most of them try to get a Trip A (AAA) discount on top of their already discounted rate. I'm sorry, but our discounts don't stack. And the Trip A rate is $85.60.
                  You would think that when it's PRINCE FAQUEM UPHAARD and OIL MINISTER HAHMA SCAHMER coming with their retinue to claim their 80 PERCENT of TWO HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS OF DOLLARS UNITED STATES ($200,000,000,000), that they could spring for the full price of the room.

Comment

They get it open, 12 people get off. Now, this is a small elevator and houses maybe 4 people relatively comfortably. How the hell they missed the "800 lbs. weight limit" sign is beyond me.
                    I'm surprised the hotel don't put the bill for the repair, fire response, etc... on their hotel bill for that stupidity. Divided by 12 naturally
                    I've lost my mind ages ago. If you find it, please hide it.

Comment

Quoth smileyeagle1021 View Post
                      ok, coworker M gives all of us "M" night auditors a bad name... can I volunteer to him to get him back in line?
                      Be my guest. Smack the Stupid right out of him because I swear to gawd, this is what's going to get his ass fired.

I told K at midnight that I thought he needed a new Night Auditor. The sick thing is he had just chewed M out right in front of me night before last for turning the ring tone off on the phone and disappearing for who knows how long! Corporate was hounding K about it the next morning, it seems. (At least they do something about it) It also seems the Corporate office randomly calls all the properties on a regular basis to see if we're doing our jobs properly.

Quoth LostMyMind View Post
                      I'm surprised the hotel don't put the bill for the repair, fire response, etc... on their hotel bill for that stupidity. Divided by 12 naturally
                      I think K took names of everyone that was on the elevator. It would be nice if he could charge them a Stupid Tax considering it's a top of the line elevator worth $50,000.

It only has a low occupancy weight because we're an 80 room hotel so one of the smaller elevators were installed. It's maybe a 6'X4' room.

Comment

Wow!

It only has a low occupancy weight because we're an 80 room hotel so one of the smaller elevators were installed. It's maybe a 6'X4' room.
                        Wow, considering that the average person would need 2'X2' to stand comfortably (ie. 6 people max) they were really cramming themselves in there. Who want to be packed so tightly with strangers even if they are from the same conference as you?

Comment

Not me and I went to Dragon*Con two years ago! (They had some 40,000 people there on the very last day, their "slow" day!)

Comment

More evidence that I'd end up A) In jail and B) A Fark.com headline if I was ever placed in a position where I had to interact with the public in person. ><

Comment

Gravekeeper, you're a lucky lucky bastard.

And I think this is the first post you've ever made in one of my topics. I think. Huh.

Comment

Working...
                              X