This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this ferryboat unsinkable?

So, on sunday I had to be at the docks all day. Now, I don't mind it at all because I love boats, and I can stand people for the most part, for the most part. So, as I'm standing at the entrance to the walk on passenger gangway, This kid comes up and asks me:

"Is this boat unsinkable? I saw a historically accurate movie that showed a supposed unsinkable ship."

I kid you not, he actually asked me. So, I spoke in my most fluent british accent, and said: No, it is practically unsinkable. So, next the kid asked me if there were icebergs around Nantucket. I told him no.

He had the most relieved look on his face.
    Your neck is 7 and a half feet wide and 4 and a half feet tall. Your shoulders are also around 4 and a half feet wide. Your butt is 4 feet wide and your arms are around 3 feet long-gravekeeper

It's nice to see kids watching something besides Family Guy and Simpsons.

"You'd feel a Hell of a lot better if you'd just rip into the occasional customer."
    ~Clerks

Comment

Quoth Bagboy View Post
      So, on sunday I had to be at the docks all day. Now, I don't mind it at all because I love boats, and I can stand people for the most part, for the most part. So, as I'm standing at the entrance to the walk on passenger gangway, This kid comes up and asks me:

"Is this boat unsinkable? I saw a historically accurate movie that showed a supposed unsinkable ship."

I kid you not, he actually asked me. So, I spoke in my most fluent british accent, and said: No, it is practically unsinkable. So, next the kid asked me if there were icebergs around Nantucket. I told him no.

He had the most relieved look on his face.

Historically accurate movie? Yeah, right. I would trust "movie"makers word over, say, a documentary on the same subject. /sarcasm

He wasn't referring to "Titanic" by any chance was he? Not that I would say that that movie was "historically accurate" outside of "the boat sank because it hit an iceberg" and "lots of people died in the freezing water because of the lack of lifeboats."
      You'll always miss 100% of the shots you don't take,and statistically speaking, 99% of the shots you do take.

Pirates Vs. Ninjas. Which would you choose? http://s1.darkpirates.com/c.php?uid=40174

Comment

You mean there wasn’t a whirlwind romance on board involveing cheeky yet loveable chappie and a high-class lady?!
        Damn Hollywood to hell for lying to me all these years. Next you'll be telling me how that rugged kiwi gladiator cannot defy an empire..................
        All of these things the worker has done
        From tilling the fields to carrying the gun
        We've been yoked to the plough since time first began
        And always expected to carry the can.

Comment

Well, the kid was right in a way. At least visually the film "Titanic" was as accurate as possible.

We were on the maiden crossing of the Millennium in 2000 with a group from the World Ship Society. One of our fellow passengers was Ken Marschal who served as visual consultant for "Titanic". He gave several very interesting presentations on how things were done.
          Research is the art of reading what everyone has read and seeing what no one else has seen.

Comment

Annnnnd this ferry was making how far of a trip?

Buddy, even if the ferry sank ... you'd probably have a pretty good chance of surviving ....

But still, he's letting a movie dictate his fear, a fear of boats/ships .... hopefully a ride on the ferry set him straight ...
            This area is left blank for a reason.

Comment

Is the ferry unsinkable? "No, Godzilla attacks regularly around these parts..."
              "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Quoth karma_gypsy View Post
                Annnnnd this ferry was making how far of a trip?

Buddy, even if the ferry sank ... you'd probably have a pretty good chance of surviving ....

But still, he's letting a movie dictate his fear, a fear of boats/ships .... hopefully a ride on the ferry set him straight ...
                Quick, someone show him Jaws,and tell him that it's a historically accurate film
                I am the nocturnal echo-locating flying mammal man.

Comment

Nobody let this guy see Independence Day, he'll freak out!

Comment

Quoth edible_hat View Post
                    Nobody let this guy see Independence Day, he'll freak out!
                    No fair I was 10. Seriously, around that time the movie came out they had some fake news thingy/promotion on television. It took me a few minutes in when they started interviewing actors and noticing that no one was freaking out before I realized it was fake.

Course now if the aliens do come I'm going to think it's hollywood again.
                    How was I supposed to know someone was slipping you Birth Control in the food I've been making for you lately?

Comment

Quoth RayvenQ View Post
                      Quick, someone show him Jaws,and tell him that it's a historically accurate film
                      Especially the fourth one. Everybody knows that sharks can growl
                      Your neck is 7 and a half feet wide and 4 and a half feet tall. Your shoulders are also around 4 and a half feet wide. Your butt is 4 feet wide and your arms are around 3 feet long-gravekeeper

Comment

Quoth Soulstealer View Post
                        No fair I was 10. Seriously, around that time the movie came out they had some fake news thingy/promotion on television. It took me a few minutes in when they started interviewing actors and noticing that no one was freaking out before I realized it was fake.
                        Did anyone else think of War of the World (is that what its called?) The first time they played it on the radio they had so many people freaking out. Now when they play it they have a disclaimer every 5-10 minutes.

Comment

Quoth Bagboy View Post
                          Oh no, it sinks all the time. The owners just decided it was cheaper to refloat it and patch the holes than to build a new one each time.

Comment

Without turning this into a Fratching, I can safely say that ships can and will be sunk-it's all a matter of who's driving.

Not two weeks after my dad got let go from a ferry company here, one of their ships sank. Gravekeeper will know what I'm talking about. Reports were that there was either someone having a quickie on the bridge (yes, there are female ossifers), someone was smoking a joint, or just not paying attenion. Two people were lost when the ship went down.

But because of the titanic, safety standards have been upped soo much it's rare to hear about a ship sinking when it has been properly operated.
                            "Otherwise you are free to keep putting your hope in leprechauns, horseshoes and unicorn farts."-Gravekeeper

Comment

Quoth Soulstealer View Post

Course now if the aliens do come I'm going to think it's hollywood again.
                              Thats exactly! what they want! They are trying to desensitize the masses!
                              "If you find yourself fantasizing about throwing actual users into a blender, please get help... they're heavy." - Tom Dickson

Comment

Working...
                              X