This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seasonings are glass...

Alright, this was actually related to me by a friend who's a manager at Mickey D's. I'm half asleep typing this so I'm just gonna slam it in a Quoth box and paste it, rather than change every instance of first person nouns to third person nouns.

There was a guy who sent an urgent complaint to the 1-800 number we have. He said that he bit into his grilled chicken sandwich and chomped on glass. So, the owner calls me up and I check (this is a few weeks ago), and aside from windows, the only glass we have belongs to the coffee pots we keep up front--none of which had broken anytime recently. He had come by about a half hour prior to me receiving this phone call.

So, the next day, the owner calls up this man to get some information. The customer tells us that he still has the sandwich and piece of glass on hand. We ask him when a good time to come in with that piece would be so that we could take a lot at it, get a proper analysis and take the appropriate steps in handling the manner. He tells us "Oh, anytime is fine".

So, he comes up, and this kid (I say "kid" even though he is the same age as myself) shows us the sandwich and piece. It's a golden ball that is hard, but may or not be glass. Nothing in our store fits the description of this piece. So, we tell them that we have to contact our distributors and have them take a look at it and see if they can identify where this foreign object came from. Of course, this is when the guy chooses to tell us that he had a stomach ache yesterday, something that was completely missing from his initial report.

I give him his refund and tell him that someone will contact him. So, as we further our investigation, our distributor concludes that nothing from their facility could have been this mysterious object. We leave it to the insurance company to handle the rest.

On Monday, the guy (he has lots of spare time, living at home with his older brother--at the expense of his father, an alleged "scientist"--for free) is in our parking lot with a sign that reads BEWARE: YOUR FOOD MAY CONTAIN GLASS. DO NOT EAT HERE. We call the police and scare them away, but the police inform us that they can only make them go to the sidewalk, after that, there's nothing more we can do.

So, today they (he and his brother now) did the same thing, and the police officers had them leave and told them they'd be ticketed if they come onto our property. This has become quite an issue for us. The insurance company contacts the guy and says "Look, what is it you want?" Turns out this idiot wants $8-10 million to settle. Or, we can "cut the damage and just go for a million." Now, he hasn't been to the doctor or the hospital for his tummy aches (oh, and now he claims he cut up his gums which was missing from earlier reports as well and received no treatment for), and has spent no more money on anything except for the meal that we refunded. So, the insurance agent calls his bluff and tells him that we could give him a couple hundred bucks but he has no case. So, he tells the agent that he in fact DOES a case because he saved a piece of the "glass" and gave it to his dad, the scientist, to examine in his lab.

Turns out the piece was a combination of seasonings that we have on our grilled chicken that unfroze at one point, clumped together, and then carmelized. NOT GLASS.

"I'll take slanderous picketing for $1000, Alex."
    Pretend there's something here that sounds insightful, but is really just some pseudo-intellectual bull.

It must be the weirdest story I've ever read about McD's...
    "I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."

Comment

It's a ridiculous part of society these days...we once caught someone claiming they had glass in their salad. We took it seriously until he pulled his wallet out of his side pocket...and about 18 shards of glass fell out onto the floor.

For some reason, he got arrested after that...
      "That's too bad. Hospitals aren't fun to fight through."
      "What IS fun to fight through?"
      "Gardens. Electronics shops. Antique stores, but only if they're classy."

Comment

Some people.
        Unseen but seeing
        oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
        There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
        3rd shift needs love, too
        RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Oh please tell me this jerkwad isn't actually going to get even a couple hundred dollars out of this.

Comment

I could believe the caking agent failing and the seasonings wind up sticking together and caramelising. Happens in the south all the time (particularly if you live in an area refered to as the "bible belt." This is only because it's the "nothern south" and the nights are cool and thrifty people tend to open their windows at night to let the cool air in, thus cooling down the house. This allows humidity to come in and attack all the seasonings and sugars, flours, ect.)
            Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Quoth Skrae View Post
              The insurance company contacts the guy and says "Look, what is it you want?" Turns out this idiot wants $8-10 million to settle. Or, we can "cut the damage and just go for a million." Now, he hasn't been to the doctor or the hospital for his tummy aches (oh, and now he claims he cut up his gums which was missing from earlier reports as well and received no treatment for), and has spent no more money on anything except for the meal that we refunded. So, the insurance agent calls his bluff and tells him that we could give him a couple hundred bucks but he has no case. So, he tells the agent that he in fact DOES a case because he saved a piece of the "glass" and gave it to his dad, the scientist, to examine in his lab.
              AGH. This just has stupid idiot trying to milk it for all it's worth written all over it. When I found out what it was, I laughed out loud. Better luck next time, idiot.
              It's like the people in Vegas who have sex in video-monitored elevators.. -MoxisPilot
              The elevators are monitored?!!! OH CRAP!!! -Sheldonrs

Comment

I had a customer a long time ago when I worked at the Pizza Hut call in and say their pizza was delivered and had glass in it. They brought it in to show us and sitting exactly dead center in the pizza was the bottom half of a glass Coke bottle. It was on top of the intersection of all the slice marks and a couple pieces of pizza were missing that would have had to have been exactly underneath the bottle. Now, the bottle extended a good 2-3 inches above the top of the box, making it impossible to close. I can't remember how much money they wanted for this travesty, but I remember asking them if they took the pizza even though the box had to be open, showing this, then if they ate a few slices after pulling them out from under the bottle as well before noticing this. They answered yes to all that then I remember laughing at them and throwing them out.

Comment

I'm a little surprised he fessed up to what it was. We once had someone claim to chip a tooth on hard gristle in a burger. Could happen I suppose, I know I've bitten into the occassional tough bit. If it was true, that really sucks for them. At least insurance paid the dentist bill.
                  A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
                    I'm a little surprised he fessed up to what it was. We once had someone claim to chip a tooth on hard gristle in a burger. Could happen I suppose, I know I've bitten into the occassional tough bit. If it was true, that really sucks for them. At least insurance paid the dentist bill.
                    Far as I can tell from my friend, he never fessed up, nor did he go to the dentist at all. The discovery it was caramelized seasoning was from the analysis they did on their own, rather than the "scientist" dad.
                    Pretend there's something here that sounds insightful, but is really just some pseudo-intellectual bull.

Comment

for all the trouble it caused, I bet it was still pretty to look at (yes I am weird)

still that guy lied and slandered your friend, and he did everything he could to help him and figure out what happened, and the guy pickets the place

the sucky one is full of mega fail
                      http://dragcave.net/user/LadyMage

Comment

gee, and the one time I actually did bite into a piece of glass in a sandwich, I just wrote it off, and never ate at that location again. (I wasn't hurt)
                        Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

Number of times I've broken teeth on food: 2

Number of times I blamed the place where i got the food: 0

Once was on a chicken bone from a Chinese food place and the other was
                          on some popcorn.

Shit happens. I knew the chicken had bones and there are always un-popped kernals in popcorn.
                          "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

Working...
                          X