This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tales from the Anime Convention

I spent most of last weekend volunteering at AVCon (http://www.avcon.org.au/). I was on the registration desk. I missed the ultra busy period that is the first three hours of Saturday morning because I had to work at my paying job. Onto the sucky/interesting bits:

-a lot of people thought they didn't have to buy a ticket for themselves because "animation and computer games are for kids".

-On Sunday, one guy wanted to upgrade his Saturday pass to a weekend pass. Even though when he bought the Saturday pass it was made clear he could buy a weekend pass then or buy a Sunday pass if he wanted to attend the Sunday. I could tell he wanted to start yelling and screaming but there were four of us at rego and only one of him, plus we had the power to throw people out of the venue (physically if required).

-I asked a security guard for help with an attendee who needed first aid. For the rest of the event, that guard seemed to think I was in charge.

-someone managed to steal a sword from the cosplay props room, even though there were two volunteers there at all times.

-other lost and found included of an umbrella, a jacket with an iPod in the pocket, and two small children. All were returned to their owners/guardians.

-one attendee came to the rego desk in tears over a lost bag. We managed to calm her down and get her phone number in case it was handed in. The bag turned up, somebody called the phone number... and the bag started ringing. She'd left the phone in the bag! (Half an hour later she stopped by again to ask if anyone had handed it in yet, so she got her stuff back)

-during one of my breaks I was in the vendor's hall wearing my bright red volunteer shirt (with "Volunteer" written on it) and a vendor said "Excuse me! Can I ask you something? Oh wait, I don't know why but I thought you were a volunteer..."

-one guy got physically thrown out by two security guards after refusing to buy a ticket... after being told to five times.

All in all it was a great weekend, although I'm still recovering from it.
    Last edited by edible_hat; 07-29-2008, 07:32 AM.

Wow. Slow Con.
    Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Quoth Evil Queen View Post
      Wow. Slow Con.
      Attendance was around 1500-2000 people (I didn't get the exact official figure). This alleged city only has a population of 1 million.

Comment

I've always wanted to go to one. I LOVE anime. I never really thought about SC's being there though. Dunno why it never occured to me.

Comment

Quoth edible_hat View Post
          -someone managed to steal a sword from the cosplay props room, even though there were two volunteers there at all times.
          Have fun while you can!!
          Though the military has caused me to miss one or two, I've worked on dealer-room staff at Sakura-Con in Washington State since the year 2001. Mostly because my friends helped start it and were looking for more hapless victims as "volunteers" to assist.
          Over the course of this years convention back in March, we had at least two items that were knowingly stolen, caught no less than three different people in the act of stealing and had to trail no less than four attempts trying to size up whether or not they could steal something. And that was Sat alone.

If people in your area like your con, it will grow....... and grow.... AND GROW!

Best of luck!

Oh... And Anaka- There will definitely be the worst kind of SC at a convention.
          Rapid Fans, Nerds and Geeks who think that simply being a fan entitles them to make outrageous demands of anyone even remotely selling stuff in the dealers hall.
          Last edited by Phantomgrift; 07-29-2008, 01:36 PM.
          Waiter? ... Waiter?
          Curses! When will I ever remember- Order dessert first and THEN kill everyone in the restauraunt.

Comment

The instant I saw the title 'Tales from an Anime Convention', beofre I even read the post, the first thing that popped into my head was 'I'm sorry'.

Granted, I've never attended your con, and I tend to be more subdued than most (I guess mebbe 'sheepish' is a good word ) but I've managed my share of harassing, especially to the artists in Artist's Alley. Me and my friends tend to find artists we like and monopolize them for commissions until they tell us they simply can't draw anymore, or collapse. Usually even beyond that point.
            Check out my webcomic!

Comment

Heh, I work SugoiCon (near Cincinnati) every year because I'm friends with the fellow who ends up mostly running it every year.

We have a deal with other local cons when it comes to people caught stealing. Not only do they get banned from our con for several years (I think we say three), but their pictures get passed around to the other local cons, and they end up blacklisted from all the local cons.

Admissions has confirmed the looks of dismay when two guys caught shoplifting at OhayoCon were denied entry to our con also. Shame they had been dropped off by mom. I bet that was an uncomfortable explanation when they had to call her to pick them back up.
              The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
              "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
              Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth Phantomgrift View Post
                If people in your area like your con, it will grow....... and grow.... AND GROW!
                The local con (Japan Expo) did grow, and grow, and GROW. I found it to be really out of proportion, you know what I mean ? And it's only the ninth edition of the event.
                "I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."

Comment

Quoth Phantomgrift View Post

Oh... And Anaka- There will definitely be the worst kind of SC at a convention.
                  Rapid Fans, Nerds and Geeks who think that simply being a fan entitles them to make outrageous demands of anyone even remotely selling stuff in the dealers hall.
                  What's fun is to find the Walking Encyclopedia fans and set them off against each other. Bonus points if you manage to get them arguing points from two completely different series as if the laws of one should apply to all. (Hmmm. Sound familiar? )

Not that I personally have started that, but it was worth a lot of giggles while waiting.
                  Any day you're looking down at the dirt instead of up at the dirt is a good day.

Comment

Yeah.. I'm headed to Dragoncon for some INSANE reason... Oh yeah.. I'm being an idiot and volunteering!! Wish me a quick death...

Comment

Quoth Crazeyal View Post
                      Wish me a quick death...
                      How about I just wish you luck avoiding anything worse than a Man-Faye equivalent.
                      ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
                      And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Dude.. it's Dragoncon...

I *PLAN* on attending a Kilt-blowing event...

Comment

Bring pixie sticks for Jenny! Give her the three footers and she won't even need the leaf blower.
                          Any day you're looking down at the dirt instead of up at the dirt is a good day.

Comment

I feel your pain, working an anime convention. I work A-Kon (www.a-kon.com). We broke 15,000 people this year. As much fun as it can be, it call also be completely miserable what with all the entitlement whores and also the fanboy stench. Oh, god, the STENCH.

Comment

Quoth Crazeyal View Post
                              Dude.. it's Dragoncon...

I *PLAN* on attending a Kilt-blowing event...
                              Give Jenny my regards if you meet her !
                              "I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."

Comment

Working...
                              X