This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• this one upset me

Guest: Dave, you're the 4th person I have talked to and I am getting annoyed....my father in law has been diagnosed with cancer and cant go up stairs, we are coming next week and wanna change to a different unit and everyone is telling me I have to pay a 10% fee to do that. One girl told me to talk to the manager but I dont wanna wait. I called her 20 minutes ago and she hasnt called me back yet.

Me: well sir, she is the only one who can authorize that

Guest: Nobody there is willing to help a man with cancer?

Me: well sir, I am certainly sorry to hear this but I dont have the authority to override the policies

Guest: well why dont you grow some balls and help me out here?

Me: no sir, you will wait and talk to the manager

Guest: so you just have no compassion for a man with cancer?

Me: yes sir I do

Guest: then start acting like it

Me: sir, if you dont wanna pay the 10% fee, you will wait and speak to the manager. She is the only person with the authority to do that.

Guest: like I said, no compassion

Me: sir, you need to wait and speak to the manager and I am ending this call

CLICK

Ugh. The cancer card, and he's an impatient insulting twerp.

Comment

So he has no compassion for you and the fact that you could lose your job if you do what he asks? Screw him.
      "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

Why don't people understand "there is no way I can do that"?

Where I work if I tell people I can't do something then it can't be done (unless it is a temporary problem and I am very clear about those).

The difference where I work is that putting them through to a supervisor won't get it done either - they have no more access than I do (they can find out more and call back etc... but if I can't do it they can't do it).

Comment

Wow, that is just sucky. I mean, you can't do anything about policy. IT's not fair to grind you down just because you the situation is beyond your powers.
          Hinakiba777- Student of Divinity-Always trying to get laid.

Annoying student=I pay tuition here so I pay your salary!
          Desk Worker=I pay tuition here, too. So I guess I pay myself.

Comment

I just don't understand people who just keep calling back and expecting whoever is on the other end of the line to fix the problem rather than wait for the person in authority to talk to them.

You know I do sympathise with someone getting cancer, it is horrible to see someone go through that, but being a jerk to someone with no authority to fix your problem makes me feel for the person with cancer because they have to more than likely deal with this person day in and day out and that is not what you need when you are sick.
            Am I sad because I am looking forward to the day when the people I will be dealing with will no longer be able to talk back?

Comment

Quoth Forensic Waitress View Post
              I just don't understand people who just keep calling back and expecting whoever is on the other end of the line to fix the problem rather than wait for the person in authority to talk to them.
              I do. Every so often it works.
              Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

The part that I find odd is that cancer rarely makes a person unable to climb stairs. A really advanced case, yeah, but in that case usually either you had plenty of advance notice, or you're in the hospital for immediate treatment. I mean, I have a daughter with leukemia, and the only thing you can tell about her right now is that she has a puffy face from some of the medicine (she's going to lose her hair down the road). And once word got around, all sorts of people insisted on telling me their cancer stories, and I didn't know that any of them had had cancer at any time.

Comment

yeah, I'll call bullocks on the OPs caller... cancer runs in my family (it's gotten to the point where it is a known fact that we will develop cancer, our best hope is to try to live healthily enough to postpone until after we die of other causes) and so far the only reason anyone in the family whos had cancer was unable to go up or down stairs is because they were just out of surgery... and if this guy was just out of surgery he shouldn't be going to a vacation island anyway, he should be at home resting.
                  If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

What an asshole!
                    I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                    Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                    Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Wow... People are idiots.

I myself had cancer.
                      My grandfather had cancer. (Most likely why I picked up the genes.)
                      My mother had a benign tumor removed from her brain.
                      My cousin died from cancer years ago.

None of us have ever tried to play the "GOTS CANCER" card for anything and anyone who does is an utter dick.
                      (Well, my cousin got to meet the Judds thanks to her cancer, but that was more a "Make-A-Wish" thing instead of a "cancer card" item.)
                      Waiter? ... Waiter?
                      Curses! When will I ever remember- Order dessert first and THEN kill everyone in the restauraunt.

Comment

Quoth Phantomgrift View Post
                        (Well, my cousin got to meet the Judds thanks to her cancer, but that was more a "Make-A-Wish" thing instead of a "cancer card" item.)...
                        :-) That's why I love working there.

And in my family, EVERYONE dies of cancer and nobody has made it past 62.
                        That's my retirement plan. And I don't have to worry about living on SS.
                        "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

My grandmother died of cancer-related complications. She could still use stairs and would not dream of traveling too far from her medical staff.

This sounds like a EW trying to play that card.
                          I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                          -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth Crow The Robot View Post
                            Ugh. The cancer card, and he's an impatient insulting twerp.
                            I recently read that thanks to our medical tech making us live longer that 1 in 3 people can expect to have cancer in their lifetime. If everyone gets away with pulling the cancer card, we're going to have a pretty screwed up societal system.
                            Interesting Fodder: http://interestingfodder.typepad.com

Comment

Quoth smileyeagle1021 View Post
                              yeah, I'll call bullocks on the OPs caller... cancer runs in my family (it's gotten to the point where it is a known fact that we will develop cancer, our best hope is to try to live healthily enough to postpone until after we die of other causes) and so far the only reason anyone in the family whos had cancer was unable to go up or down stairs is because they were just out of surgery... and if this guy was just out of surgery he shouldn't be going to a vacation island anyway, he should be at home resting.

Cancer runs in my family, too. I take lots of vitamins hoping to stave it off as long as possible. A friend of mine who just died of cancer went on a cruise a few weeks before he died (it was clear this was his last time travelling ever). He couldn't walk without huge amounts of pain (tumors in his abdomen!) so was on a wheelchair and had to get first class seating on the plane to the cruise so he could have enough room to lay so he wasn't in constant pain. I do believe that this guy's dad probablly couldn't walk up and down stairs. His mom was pretty broke and had to ask for help paying for his first class seat and ran into some problems but was not rude at _all_ to the customer service rep she dealt with. In fact, she sent to her prayer mailing list the letter she had wrote to the airline commending how nice and helpful the service rep was and encouraged us all to send letters, too. I think a big part of the reason she got the good service, though, was because she was polite and patient. I can sympathize with not wanting to spend an extra 10% but man, that extra 10% might be worth a bit of courtesy and patience, you think?
                              Interesting Fodder: http://interestingfodder.typepad.com

Comment

Working...
                              X