This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• was I sucky?

I have a question for all hotel workers.

My significant other travels a ton for business. Most weeks I get an email with the hotel phone number and a room number. Most times I call say the room and am transfered right away. None of these hotels is low end and most of the time the company he works for is renting multiple rooms for a group of employees

I have been doing this 6 months + and have only recently had a few issues.

One occasion I was asked for the name of the person registered in the room, which was odd because I had never been asked that for this particular chain before, then the person asked for my name and my relationship to the guest.... This was even stranger. She finally transfered my call but I was left with an odd feeling. I called him 2 more times during his stay and was never asked for any more information, not even his name.

This last time he was staying with a friend but had not registered with the front desk and I forgot the friends name, so when the front desk person asked for the name I said I did not know, I was sorry and before I could finish saying I would contact my boyfriend another way she slammed the phone down on me.

I know hotel workers, no matter the position are busy but I felt this was uncalled for.

Opinions?

On behalf of my hotel brethren, I am sorry you were treated like this. The hotel clerk should not have asked what your relationship was too the occupant of the room AT ALL. That is an invasion of not only yours but his privacy as well. This information needs to be brought to the attention of the manager.

My Night Audit man will ask for a person's name with the number of the room. He says it's for extra security. I'll gladly transfer your call if you ask for a name or a number unless the person occupying the room has asked for a DND (Do Not Disturb).

I have three years of experience working at the desk of a hotel. I think I know my etiquette rules at a hotel.
    Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Ditto what EQ said... I figure if you know the room number you know what you're talking about... the only time I say anything other than "please hold while I connect you" is if the person is in front of me asking what room the person is in... in which case I offer to connect them using the house phone.
      If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Quoth smileyeagle1021 View Post
        Ditto what EQ said... I figure if you know the room number you know what you're talking about... the only time I say anything other than "please hold while I connect you" is if the person is in front of me asking what room the person is in... in which case I offer to connect them using the house phone.
        Same goes, unless there's a big flashing no calls lamp, I'll transfer them. I wouldn't think to ask a person's relationship to the guest.
        "So you think they named this ship the "Chimera" because there's a monster on board?" Tony DiNozzo

"They did not name it the puppy" Ziva David - NCIS, Chimera

Comment

Slamming the phone down on me would result in an immediate call to her manager ...
          "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

If they could not connect you because you did not know the name, they could have at least taken a message to pass on to the room or something.

Comment

Working...
            X