This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christmas stuff is out already!

Ok I know I haven't posted in a while, been busy with work and the usual summer fun. Anyway, I work at a big odd lot store (we buy leftovers from bankrupt companies, etc..) and we got a large assortment of Christmas stuff in already, yeah I know it's early but again, we're an odd lot store.
    I was working on some sale tables straightening out the t'shirts, when an old lady comes up to me and started yelling at me because "don't you know it's too damn early for christmas shit to be out" (and yes she swore at me!) she continues with "Its ridiculous how YOU try to shove the holidays in our faces, bla bla bla"
    First of all, we are an odd lot store, whatever comes in on the truck gets put out right away as we can't have the back room filled, and second of all, I love how I got the blame for what the store does.
    This lady was ridiculous! I ended up apologizing to her because I didn't know what else to say and then just walking away because she kept blathering on.
    Yeah I know it's too early for xmas stuff, I hate seeing it too, but this is retail I'm used to it, go into any Hallmark store and they have ornaments out already!

Wow, I saw some Halloween stuff the other day & thought, "Wow, that's way too early." LOL Talk about Xmas coming in summertime!
    The universe is mostly empty space, and so is your job. ~Dilbert

Comment

She'd flip if she set foot in Hobby Lobby. I've heard they've had Christmas stuff out since June.

Our Christmas crap has started coming in already. Ornaments, trees, decorative chotchkies, and all that. And we're supposed to start putting it up the beginning of September.
      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

One of these days I will see someone going off like that and just LOSE IT... Why do people think someone manning a cash register has access to CORPORATE POLICY?!?!?

Comment

You and I both know 'they' wouldn't put out Christmas stuff this early if it didn't sell.
          But, sell it does.
          Don't get mad at the store for offering to sell you merchandise that YOU OBVIOUSLY WANT, at a time you OBVIOUSLY WANT IT!

sheesh.
          I no longer fear HELL.
          I work in RETAIL.

Comment

I've had Christmas stuff coming in since the first of JULY.

Anyone that starts in on me about it gets told they can fingerprint all my Christmas Gear to prove that I didn't put it out. SM knows I'm not touching that stuff until after Halloween.
            Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

We started putting our Christmas stuff out this week.

Not necessarily because people buy it (we're putting it on overheads), but mostly because we get a LOT of it, it starts to come early, and there isn't enough space in our stock room for all of it.

Customers need to realize that Christmas in retail takes a lot of time and effort, so it needs to be started early. It's not like it can all magically appear on the shelves the day after Thanksgiving.

Comment

Quoth Nephy View Post
                Customers need to realize that Christmas in retail takes a lot of time and effort, so it needs to be started early. It's not like it can all magically appear on the shelves the day after Thanksgiving.
                A-freaking-men!

Just the thought of setting the ornament displays makes me in sheer terror.

And then there's Christmas tree displays that have to be assembled and fluffed, installing power poles for all the trees and Lemax villages and to give people a chance to test strings of Christmas lights, building gondolas, and so forth.

Plus new planograms to be set for every department in the store. We're going to be resetting planograms A LOT next month.

And then, as the holiday draws nearer, there's moving everything and remerchandising so that the aisles don't look completely barren.
                Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

We've started putting out our christmas cards. A few customers have commented but I've pointed out that cards for the Armed Forces and anything going surface mail (with presents and so on) will need to be sent in November which is only 9 weeks off.

We don;t put most of it out until mid november and then do the trimmings when we re closed on the first sunday afternoon in December.

I've already started buying christmas stuff which everyone thinks is mad but my argument is that I get one day off a week so that leaves me 15 days or so between now and christmas to do all my shopping. Plus I prefer going to the big shopping centres before the christmas rush starts.
                  Good customers are as rare as Latinum. Treasure them. ~ The 57th Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition.

Comment

We've had Christmas enquires coming in for over a month. So we've finally had our enquiry form sorted and we've got the Christmas broachers in. They actually look quite pretty.
                    "So you think they named this ship the "Chimera" because there's a monster on board?" Tony DiNozzo

"They did not name it the puppy" Ziva David - NCIS, Chimera

Comment

Our local greeting card shop put out the first Christmas cards last week. I have come to accept it gets started early and builds up to the big day. Then on Boxing Day the Easter eggs go out

The funniest thing I have seen is a shop taking down Christmas stock to put up the Halloween stock

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                        She'd flip if she set foot in Hobby Lobby. I've heard they've had Christmas stuff out since June.
                        You mean they put it away??

Ours doesn't.

Comment

I wouldn't yell to a worker about it, but I do in fact bear a grudge to any store that puts out $holiday item earlier than one month away. It used to be a "I'm not going to shop there at all when I need to shop for the $holiday" minor boycott, but unfortunately too many stores were doing it (especially with christmas) that I would have self-pwned myself by removing all my choices to shop. Instead I just remember which stores do it and consciously make the decision to look elsewhere when I have the chance.

Also... come November/December I'll be the guy who's gotten sick of christmas music already and will be walking around with headphones on. So maybe I'm just a grinch anyway
                          Last edited by MrSmiley; 08-24-2008, 09:57 PM.
                          Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart!

Comment

At Sam's Club, we had Christmas stuff for sale at the beginning of August!! I was doing a trash run & when I saw that I was stunned!

Comment

We just got out all the Halloween candy. In the next few weeks we have to get out decorations to have room for Christmas stuff in the back. One year we had Halloween on one side of the aisle, summer stuff in the middle and Christmas on the other.

Comment

Working...
                              X