This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Snowbird View Post
    I wonder if anyone else here has seen the somewhat disturbing connection between the people who seem to fuss the most about the lack of scooters (overweight as opposed to physically disabled), and the future of humanity in the movie WALL-E.
    No, but mostly because IT HASN'T OPENED YET!!

Sorry, not yelling at you, but I have been waiting to see that movie for MONTHS. I don't know when they first started advertising it, but it must have been at least six, more like nine, months ago.

It opens mid-September.

Sadly, I saw it was open mid-July when I was in the UK at that time, but thought that meant it opened all over the world then and I'd just see it when I got home. Sigh. Not to be.

And no, I ain't gonna download it. I've seen the trailer, and it's one of the few movies I'd like to see with the whole movie-theatre experience.

Sorry. End of rant. Back to talking about mobility scooters.

Comment

This last early spring (well, we didn't technically get a spring this year, but ya know what I mean) my little brother told me that the night before, he'd gone out to collect carts before closing, and they'd been trying to hunt down one of the scooters....and it was tipped sideways on a crusty snowbank that was about 5-6 feet tall (ya know when the snow is a few weeks/months old and just keeps piling up and it gets so cold that the snow gets really hard and crunchy?).....

My little brother couldn't decide what he wanted to believe: people goofing around and crashing the scooter into the snow, or that someone missed on their way to their vehicle and crashed it, but was able to get help into their car.

Either way, those scooters aren't supposed to leave the store.
      You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

By the time I was into my 8th month of pregnancy, everything from the knees down was hugely swollen. The only shoes I could get my feet into were a pair of Crocs two sizes too big. I did have to go to the store a few times, and I did use the motorized carts - because I could walk, but not very far. I got some of the dirtiest looks and several comments - One woman even told me, "Pregnant women are supposed to walk, you know."

Even the door greeters at Hell-Mart gave me dirty looks when I'd get a scooter.

Hell people, I love to walk. I just couldn't physically do it at the time.
        Let it go... Daisy, let it go... Open up your fist
        This fallen world... Doesn't hold your interest...
        Doesn't hold your soul... Daisy, let it go
        -Switchfoot

Comment

This thread reminds me of a picture I saw a few years ago. The Fire Department had responded to an evacuation of some assisted living facility. For some reason, a firefighter had to transport a scooter from the building to the area where they had the residents (if I recall correctly). The picture showed the firefighter in full turnout gear, riding what looked like Grandma's mobility scooter. It was one of those pics where you just had to do a double-take when you first see it.

Couldn't find it tonight - not enough time to play on Google.
          That is so full of suck Dyson doesn't know how they did it - shankyknitter

Comment

Quoth blas87 View Post
            This last early spring (well, we didn't technically get a spring this year, but ya know what I mean) my little brother told me that the night before, he'd gone out to collect carts before closing, and they'd been trying to hunt down one of the scooters....and it was tipped sideways on a crusty snowbank that was about 5-6 feet tall (ya know when the snow is a few weeks/months old and just keeps piling up and it gets so cold that the snow gets really hard and crunchy?).....

My little brother couldn't decide what he wanted to believe: people goofing around and crashing the scooter into the snow, or that someone missed on their way to their vehicle and crashed it, but was able to get help into their car.

Either way, those scooters aren't supposed to leave the store.
            Wha? How? I mean....ebbeh uh?

Those scooters are damn heavy and do maybe half a mile an hour, tops. Whoever put the thing up there had to be trying to do it.

And yes, those scooters are not to leave the store because driving them on uneven surfaces like parking lots puts extra strain on the motor. We even have concealed EAS stickers on them. But it's not as if we can stop people if they do drive the scooters outside.

And then we get to hear people piss and moan when we have no scooters because they're in the shop being fixed all the time.
            Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

When I mangled a few of the ligaments in the left knee, I had the handicap permit.

I also had a sports car with a 5-speed.

And the PT said that working the clutch would not be a bad thing for the rehab once things stabilized.

I got a lot of nasty looks (and almost a few tickets) parking in the handicap spot with that car back then - permit in the window. At least until I got the cane out from between the seats/hatchback.

B
              "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."- Albert Einstein.
              I never knew how happy paint could make people until I started selling it.

Comment

I have had to bring customers scooters, in this case they all ended up on one side and the custoemr who needs it is on the other. Even in uniform I had one lady stop in front of me and say "<company> hires the laziest retards. You should be ashamed of your self you a**hole"! I replied "I'm sorry you feel that way ma'am, but I am getting this for a customer who is on crutches. If tius bothers you pleas see our managers on duty, MR X." She gave me that offended look and stomped off, and complained. The MOD tired not to laugh at her.

Comment

I think I posted about it when it happened, but last winter I had a jem of a woman complaining about the scooters. We only had one scooter because the second was having battery problems. It was late at night and a little old lady was using the working scooter. I was playing door greeter for the last hour of my shift when this very large woman comes in asking where the scooters are. I tell her and she starts complaining to herself and sits down to wait. The entire time she is going on and on about having to wait. Luckily, it wasn't towards me so I ignored her.

After about 20 minutes the old woman and her daughter/granddaughter get to the check out lanes. The entire time they are checking out the woman waiting for the cart is bitching hardcore about waiting. "Why do they have to go so slow? She's in the scooter she should be going faster..." and on and on. I was so glad when it was 5 til. It meant I got to leave.
                  Honey and Thorns ~ Handmade Knit and Jewelry

Comment

Quoth Daisy View Post
                    "Pregnant women are supposed to walk, you know."

Even the door greeters at Hell-Mart gave me dirty looks when I'd get a scooter.

Hell people, I love to walk. I just couldn't physically do it at the time.
                    It's a good idea for pregnant women to walk, but even doctors say that if it's causing problems it's better not to since stress on the mother translates into stress for the baby.

Besides, not everyone is toting around a 7 pounder, there are some women who have big babies or are packing multiples. It's hard enough to carry one much less two or more and my mom said that she felt like Lois Griffin when she gave birth to Chris since I was almost 10 pounds.

I think it's ok for a very gravid woman to borrow a cart.

M
                    I never lost my faith in humanity. Can't lose what you never had right?

Comment

I, too, get dirty looks while driving the scooter to a customer who needs it or driving it back to its parking/recharge spot. And I'm an employee in full uniform!

Comment

we have a non officzl handicap spot infront of my store, it doesnt meet legal requirements really.
                        no one complains about people non handicap using it, and well its used by motercycles more often than not. i did get one complaint once but all icould do was laugh because if it was an issue why didnt they park in a closer spot

Comment

my mother is legally disabled and cant walk anywhere with out an aid

I have posted on this board before about be being SCREAMED at by a woman who decided that because I wasnt disabled that I had no right to be in the same car as a disabled woman.

Apprently even if your disabled mother, you are the scum of the earth for riding in the same car as her.

Its also apprently illegal for a disabled woman to drive... even if she has a car that allows her to.... god forbid a disabled person have some sort of independance!!!!!

the most ironic part, this woman was in a handicapped parking spot and had NO disability card on display while my mothers is right in the middle of her windscreen and BRIGHT FREAKING ORANGE

I still rage inside when I think about that incident!

the funny thing was everyone at the time was not supportive at all, my mother and I did nothing wrong and everyone was saying that I had no right to complain about being attacked for doing nothing but shopping with my mother...
                          Last edited by Kiwi; 08-27-2008, 04:31 PM.
                          I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

Working...
                          X