This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I kind of hope you get the plague.

I woke up this morning and instantly knew it was going to be a fun and exciting day because my throat was so swollen that when I went, "Ahhh!" my tonsils choked my uvula. It was also going to be fun because when I tried to call and get someone to cover my shift, no one answered the phone (this gets better shortly). So I go in and tell the boss right off that I would need to leave at some point and see a doctor and that if I was contagious, nope, not ganna come back.

So I go in complete with raspy voice, flushed cheeks and a nice set of dark circles under my eyes. It kind of looked like someone slapped my cheeks before punching me in the eyes. I sounded (and still do) like an elderly woman with a bad smoker's cough.

So on to the job. I got this douchebag.

Me: I want to die. Please kill me.
    DB: Douchebag. Of Course.
    J: Super nice, still pretty new to the job though.

DB: Wow, you look terrible!
    Me: Thanks..
    DB: Wow, you sound terrible too! I bet it hurts to talk!
    Me: -nod-
    DB: Cool, so I need you to tell me everything you know about Xbox 360s, I've never owned one and I'm interested in buying one.
    Me: (As I'm trying not to talk and just process shipment because it doesn't require throat usage...and also get J into talking to customers more) Okay, well, my associate J here can tell you pretty much all you need to know.
    DB: Um, well I'd rather you tell me. He doesn't look like he knows about it.
    Me: I assure you he does.
    J: Sir I can answer any question you might have, as you can tell, Marty can't talk very well right now so you may be able to understand me a little better.
    DB: I don't want to talk to you, you don't know anything.

At this point, I pulled the Ganna Vomit face card and high tailed it to the back where I proceeded to live up to my deck and upchuck my breakfast. When I came back out the guy was gone and J said he just heavy-sighed and walked out when I ran back. At that point Idiot Boy called and said he was too hungover to take my shift (glad to see one of us was genuinely sick!), but I managed to convince someone else to come in. I don't know why he was so dead set on talking to me, but I was obviously not set up to make lengthy conversation.

And hey, guess what! I have mono!
    Would you like a Stummies?

Quoth marty View Post
    I woke up this morning and instantly knew it was going to be a fun and exciting day because my throat was so swollen that when I went, "Ahhh!" my tonsils choked my uvula.

And hey, guess what! I have mono!
    Congratulations on the quick diagnosis. When I caught mono, I spent three days in the hospital, giving hourly blood samples, before they figured out what I had.
    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
      Congratulations on the quick diagnosis. When I caught mono, I spent three days in the hospital, giving hourly blood samples, before they figured out what I had.
      I actually only spent an hour in student health. They're great there, it took only an hour to figure out I didn't have strepe and that I did have mono. I like going there better than the town hospital, they managed to wrangle all the good people in for the school it seems.

Comment

You have Mono (the diease, not the poster MONOlyth. Where is she anyways??) to? Is it spreading around or something? Another poster has it as well.

Hope you're better soon!
        Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Going along with the sucky customer thing, the boyfriend didn't have it and I don't like sharing food or drinks with people, so my theory is someone coughed without covering their mouth at work and I breathed it in. Not to mention the trade-ins, and how utterly filthy some of that stuff is.

Comment

Quoth marty View Post
            I actually only spent an hour in student health. They're great there, it took only an hour to figure out I didn't have strepe and that I did have mono. I like going there better than the town hospital, they managed to wrangle all the good people in for the school it seems.
            hope they gave you the good antivirals and a nice BIG bottle of liquid lortab. most people can diagnose strep with a "sniff test" cause strep has that unique rotting smell that travels on your breath. get better, and good thoughts
            This is a drama-free zone; violators will be slapped. -Irving Patrick Freleigh
            my blog:http://steeledragon.wordpress.com/

Comment

Ahhhh the joys of mono. Had it while in college. Hope you feel better soon.
              The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

Comment

Retail is a hotbed of viruses, unfortunately. Best thing folks can do is keep the immune system boosted and clean everything obsessively. My boss kept bleach wipes at the counter for the phone and surfaces, as well as antibacterial hand gel. We seemed to have less problems after that.

Before that point, under another manager, I had gotten laryngitis and had to come in anyway because of a big signing at the store deal. I printed up a little card and attached it to my name tag that said, in bright hot pink, "I have laryngitis, I can't talk". I still had people that insisted I explain in minute details things that anyone else could.

Worse, one of the signers was a vocal artist and she was so sweet, she wanted to talk and get me to mingle(because I had purposely held back and must have looked shy) but hadn't noticed the card. I didn't want to get anywhere near this poor woman, so I kept pointing at the card and trying to tell her loudly enough to stay back, I didn't want to infect her. When she finally did notice it, she got wide eyed, paled, and stepped back about five feet. If I hadn't been so sick, I would have laughed so hard. She was a good sport about it afterwards.

I hope you get better soon, I know how rugged that can be. Oh, and just for the record, I think the guy was probably either a gamer girl fan or thought your voice was sexy. Take it as a compliment? Or... run away!
                "You are the dumbest smart person I have ever met in my life!" Will Smith, 'I, Robot'.

"You LOSE! Good day, sir!" Gene Wilder, 'Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory'.

Comment

Quoth Snowbird View Post
                  I didn't want to get anywhere near this poor woman, so I kept pointing at the card and trying to tell her loudly enough to stay back, I didn't want to infect her. When she finally did notice it, she got wide eyed, paled, and stepped back about five feet. If I hadn't been so sick, I would have laughed so hard. She was a good sport about it afterwards.

I hope you get better soon, I know how rugged that can be. Oh, and just for the record, I think the guy was probably either a gamer girl fan or thought your voice was sexy. Take it as a compliment? Or... run away!
                  Usually laryngitis isn't infectious. It's just backed up congestion. I got realy bad after a bad case of strep. The strep was gone, but I still couldn't talk for shit...

Oh and gamer chicks ARE hot
                  <Insert clever signature here>

Comment

Quoth Evil Queen View Post
                    You have Mono (the diease, not the poster MONOlyth. Where is she anyways??) to? Is it spreading around or something? Another poster has it as well.

Hope you're better soon!
                    She gets in to work @ 3, I think. Then, she'll be two rows over and one section up from me! I know she's been lurking because the day I posted my "I feel evil" thread, she asked if I still felt evil and then offered me some gummy bears!

And that's when I learned that gummies make the evil go away!
                    "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

What exactly is "mono"? I'm guessing it's not monoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis, because that's caused by long term exposure to coal mines and might possibly be fictional.

Comment

Quoth edible_hat View Post
                        What exactly is "mono"?
                        AKA Glandular Fever to the rest of the english speaking world.
                        A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Quoth Evil Queen View Post

Hope you're better soon!
                          PKI has her locked in a sewing room somewhere I'm guessing. We have a huge stage production coming up. Otherwise she's alive and as feisty as ever.

She SHOULD be at practice tonight so I'll tell her and Snaps hi from y'all!!

Oh and sending massive virtual hugs for the kissing sickness. I haven't had it but I do hope you get well REALLY fast! Had a friend out of commission for a couple months, she was going stir crazy. Good thing you have us!!!!
                          Today was going to be just one of those days...you know, full of zombies.

Comment

Quoth Snowbird View Post
                            Oh, and just for the record, I think the guy was probably either a gamer girl fan or thought your voice was sexy. Take it as a compliment? Or... run away!
                            If he thought my voice was sexy then I know a lady at Huddle House (my town's equivalent to Waffle House) who would rock his damn socks off.

Comment

Quoth edible_hat View Post
                              What exactly is "mono"? I'm guessing it's not monoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis,
                              And that's actually pneumonoultramicroscopicsilcovolcanoconiosis.
                              "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Working...
                              X