Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Get me out of a murder charge for $5,000!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Get me out of a murder charge for $5,000!

So, as I've said in off topic threads, I have a new job which is what I used to do remotely for my uncle (billing and such) as well as some other new duties.

Now I don't actually work out of the office. I go in a few times a week to pick up checks that have come in, bills, ect. but mainly I work from my home and dialed into the server.

So today, I go into the office to pick up some checks and bills and to talk to one of the associates at the law firm about some of his billing (I wasn't sure which case it was on; turns out it was to be split between two). While I'm there, I hear my uncle's assistant speaking, very frustratedly, to someone on the phone. It sounded as if someone was fighting about billed time, so I caught her eye and asked if I could help. She looked like she needed to get off the phone before she exploded. So she transfered the call to one of the "guest" offices they have, handed me a copy of the time / billing file, and I had the following conversation.

Me: Ta-Dah!
    SC: Sucky Client, who apparently does not understand how billing for legal services work.

Me: Hello, this is Ani, how can I help you?
    SC: This bill. It's crazy. I already paid Attorney. Why am I being billed?
    Me: Well, yes, you did pay a retainer, but it appears that you have already run through the retainer and that additional payment is needed if work is to continue on the case.
    SC: But I already paid him.
    Me: You paid a retainer, which your attorney's hourly fee is billed against. There has been a lot of time logged in this case, so the billed time has exceeded the retainer.
    Me: You paid a retainer. You were informed in the contract which you signed on July 26th that time would be billed hourly against the retainer and that we would provide you a listing of all time billed. You were also informed that when billed time exceeded the retainer, you would need to replenish your retainer account.

(at this point, I'm tired of this. How we bill is not out of the ordinary. This is not this guys first offense, it's not his first rodeo, so to speak. He knows how this works.)

Me: Mr. Client, as I have already explained, the $5,000 you gave to Attorney was simply a retainer. Any time Attorney works on your case, talks to you on the phone or meets with you or anyone else regarding this case, that time is logged and billed, at the rate agreed upon, and paid for out of the retainer. Copies and other expenses are also paid for out of the retainer. Now, you have called Attorney at least once a day for the past month and have kept him on the phone at least half an hour. You have scheduled weekly meetings, often running two or three hours or more. You have been charged with multiple first degree felonies. You will not find anyone in this town that is going to accept a single payment of $5,000 to represent you. Now, if you feel that the terms you agreed to are no longer acceptable, you are welcome to attempt to find other representation. But as it stands now, you need to pay the amount due on the bill we sent you and you need to replenish your retainer. Would you like to speak with Attorney's assistant to make arrangements?
    SC: (very quietly) But I paid him.
    Me: Yes, you've said that. You've been our client before. You know how this works. We are here until 5 today and will be back at 8 am tomorrow. Please call back when you would like to make arrangements.

And then I hung up.

I mean, seriously, this guy is charged with two counts of murder, a count of attempted murder and numerous other things. Does he REALLY think he's going to get representation for $5,000? Come on. That's like 25 hours of work for one of the partners in this firm -- that's not even going to cover one week of the trial!

(And yes, I do actually talk like that. What can I say? I was raised by a lawyer and I work for lawyers and I'm a writer. I'm a bit wordy. )
    Gryffltherclaw: Because who says you have to pick just one?

Proud to have crushes on fictional characters.

Way to deliver ownage. I like that.

Comment

That sounds like Dips' "But I Don't Understand" game. He was just hoping to stupid you so hard that you gave up and let him get away with not paying.

Good for you for just hanging up on him. Not playing their game is the best way to win! *three cheers for Ani*

Comment

A curious game. The only way to win is not to play.
        Low lie the Fields of Athenry/ Where once we watched the small free birds fly/ Our love was on the wing/ we had dreams and songs to sing/ It's so lonely around the Fields of Athenry

Comment

Quoth Andrew B. View Post
          LOVED that movie

And, I will have to quote Jim Carey - "You want some free advice? STOP BREAKING THE LAW!!!!"

-Wembley
          Originally Posted by edible_hat
          (also, wouldn't lube work better in a f***ing machine?)

Comment

Richard Gere once defended a murderer for $5000. Pity your person did realize that was a movie. Also, if that's the case, he should have held out for Jerry Orbach instead.

(ot Orbach as Billy Flynn- wish I had seen it!)

Comment

These are the conversations they never show you on 'Law and Order.'
              Ah, tally-ho, yippety-dip, and zing zang spillip! Looking forward to bullying off for the final chukka?

Comment

Quoth Bramblerose View Post
                Richard Gere once defended a murderer for $5000. Pity your person did realize that was a movie. Also, if that's the case, he should have held out for Jerry Orbach instead.

(ot Orbach as Billy Flynn- wish I had seen it!)
                Yes, but adjusted for inflation (I assumed 1923 -- do we have an exact year?) that $5,000.00 would be $62,800.00. And that's somewhat reasonable, and possible if he stops insisting on weekly meetings.

And me too. I LOVE Jerry Orbach.
                Last edited by erasily_ani; 08-28-2008, 01:53 PM. Reason: fixing a math error
                Gryffltherclaw: Because who says you have to pick just one?

Proud to have crushes on fictional characters.

Comment

Give 'em the old Razzle Dazzle, Razzle Dazzle 'em!

I miss Jerry Orbach.
                  Ah, tally-ho, yippety-dip, and zing zang spillip! Looking forward to bullying off for the final chukka?

Comment

Quoth Andrew B. View Post

Ack! You just made me lose The Game
                    Interesting Fodder: http://interestingfodder.typepad.com

Comment

Quoth Wembley View Post
                      LOVED that movie

And, I will have to quote Jim Carey - "You want some free advice? STOP BREAKING THE LAW!!!!"

-Wembley
                      The full quote is even funnier.

"Boss, it's Skull. He's knocked over another ATM, this time at knifepoint. He needs your 'legal advice."

*wearily picks up receiver*

"STOP BREAKIN' THE LAW ASSHOLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
                      "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Quoth Bramblerose View Post
                        Also, if that's the case, he should have held out for Jerry Orbach instead.
                        Or Lionel Hutz.

"Mr. Simpson, that's the most blatant case of false advertising since I brought suit against the movie 'The Neverending Story!'"
                        Sometimes life is altered.
                        Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                        Uneasy with confrontation.
                        Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Working...
                        X