Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When, oh WHEN will they invent a way to dope-slap people through the phone?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When, oh WHEN will they invent a way to dope-slap people through the phone?

My junior sales rep turned a call over to me today because she had no idea how to answer this woman:

The woman had us install our product in her home five years ago. Loved it. So far, so good. Recently moved, wanted us to install a new one in the new home. Can do! What's the problem?

(*important note* This woman is very, very wealthy.)

EW: "Your product is very expensive!"
    Me: "Yes, ma'am. As you know, it is the top of the line product, and consequently costs more than others."
    EW: "Well, it's too expensive!"
    Me: "I'm sorry. There are less expensive products available."
    EW: "But they're not as good as yours!"
    Me: "Yes, ma'am. It's a case of 'you get what you pay for'.
    EW: "But I only paid $xxx.xx for my last one!"
    Me: "Yes, ma'am. That was the price five years ago. The prices have gone up since then. The prices of raw material, fuel, labor and everything else has gone up, so we've had to raise our prices, too. If it's not within your budget, there are less expensive products available from our various competitiors"
    EW: "Well, I don't want a cheap one, I want yours. But I want it it for the same price I paid last time."
    Me: "I'm afraid that's not possible, ma'am. The price is the price."
    EW: "Well this is ridiculous! I'm a good customer, and I think you should honor your old price for me!"

So I had a brain-to-mouth filter failure right about there.

Me: "Tell you what, lady: Find me a gas station that will sell me gas for the same price they charged me five years ago, and I'll give you the price you paid five years ago. Deal?"

Please, PLEASE, tell us her response!
    MySpace

Comment

She hung up. She called back later & scheduled installation. She didn't whine about the price, but she told the sales rep that I was 'very rude'. What can I say? I was rude. I couldn't quite bring myself to call her and apologize, though.

Comment

you were rude, but funny, and you had a point

Comment

Quoth Grumpy View Post
          Me: "Tell you what, lady: Find me a gas station that will sell me gas for the same price they charged me five years ago, and I'll give you the price you paid five years ago. Deal?"
          you are a god(des) of unequaled greatness

oh, and if she does find one... please do let the rest of us know.
          If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Maybe it was rude, but it was a valid point at the same time. I mean, what kind of response can a SC come up to answer that one, really?

I love it.

Comment

Our company manufactures product using stainless steel and other materials. With the weakening dollar, cost of metal and transportation costs, we've had multiple price increases in the past few years. People whine about it, sure. But more people have been understanding recently than I'd expect. Mostly because, unlike the woman in the thread, they recognize that everything has gone up in price. There's only so much shrinking margin a company can absorb.
              A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

She said you were rude.

Yet, she wasted your company's time with repititious, frivolous complaints and requests? Requests that fall outside the realm of normal American capitalist commerce, not to mention the basic social contract itself as far as I am concerned? How rude is that?

This is the endgame of "the customer is always right."
                Suckiness is reinforced up OR down at every transaction. Accepting BS makes them worse for all of us; firm fairness trains them to suck less.

Comment

either that or she was just trying to play the "you were rude to me" card to get a discount

Comment

Is it odd that I see that not as rude but simply blunt?
                    Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

I'm not sure if you were rude or blunt, but whatever it was it was damn funny and it put her in her place. Congrats on the good one liner.
                      Am I sad because I am looking forward to the day when the people I will be dealing with will no longer be able to talk back?

Comment

One of the senior sales reps told me later that it was nice to finally have a manager with a backbone. That made my day!

Comment

Awesome.

I constantly get stuff like, "The room is how much? But it was less last year!"

Um...yes. The prices, they go up.

Is this a difficult concept?

Comment

Working...
                          X