Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

15 pet peeves I'd Like to share as a cashier.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth lordlundar View Post
    Every once in a while when I get this, I can't help myself:

Cust: How are you today?
    Me: Homicidal <insert evil grin>
    Cust:

What can I say? I love messing with people's minds.
    Do you really say that?

Comment

Quoth lordlundar View Post
      Every once in a while when I get this, I can't help myself:

Cust: How are you today?
      Me: Homicidal <insert evil grin>
      Cust:

What can I say? I love messing with people's minds.
      Eek! lordlundar, I really wouldn't joke about that with strangers. Friends, I can understand.

Personally, I'm thrilled to have a smiling, chatty customer come to my register. Nothing's worse than someone who stomps up scowling, throws their merchandise at you, and either doesn't say a word or starts bitching about prices. I get my fair share of both.
      People asking if I'm open when I'm standing there at the register with the light on gets to me, too. We usually don't have more than one or two cashiers on at once this time of year, though. When I can tell that a customer is friendly, I don't mind making small talk - like a previous poster said, it seems impolite not to. It is depressing when they comment on how beautiful it is outside, though (yay, I'm stuck in here all day!). With cranky, snotty, or otherwise disagreeable customers, I just try to be as nice as possible getting through the transaction, because they had that attitude before they came to the checkout (even though I feel like it's my fault anyway, because that's how I am )
      Oh, when customers ask me "how are you?" (though I usually ask first) I always say "good," even if the truth is "depressed and broke."
      I also HATE when an item won't scan and people are like, "it's free!" I could go into all my grievances about coupons, price checks, misbehaving kids, etc. but I think those would be more appropriate for other threads.
      "Let our mercy as deep as the Feitas and our authority as powerful as the Sun be revealed to the entire world."

Comment

Yeah, I've done it a few times. Mainly to regulars who have a good concept of my warped sense of humour.
        I AM the evil bastard!
        A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

That's great No seriously though, I'd love to tell customers how I really am, but they usually don't care and most of the time, I check so fast that I don't have the time to tell them. That may be the reason it gets so annoying. I can't repeat my whole life of drama over and over

Comment

Quoth marasbaras View Post
            And, just so folks know ... I hate people just as much as the next guy. Probably more. However, I don't like being lumped in as "sucky" just because some cashier has a bad attitude.
            I wholeheartedly agree.
            I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Comment

Quoth Stlouisx50 View Post
              that won't work for me because I know it's a fake smile.
              Hmmmmmmmmmmm. I don't do the fake smile. Although maybe you could tell me if it looks fake....

Quoth Stlouisx50 View Post
              Really? So you would rather spend time indoors and waste the nice time shopping? WOW. Well there are many more customers that like to do it as well.... I still wont understand why. If its a few items I can understand but a full load ????
              Yes. Yes, I would. Sunlight and I do not get along. I'd like to be inside. Oh, and extreme heat? Not my thing. Besides, it is not fun for me to make a billion trips between the car and my apartment when it's cold (damn WI winters), rainy and/or snowy.

As for the full load? If I'm shopping, I'm going to do at least a week or two at once.
              Unseen but seeing
              oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
              There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
              3rd shift needs love, too
              RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

well, at least 10...

http://customerssuck.com/board/showp...2&postcount=17
                HI, I'M NEW TO ALL OF THIS wave of approval ™©®

Comment

14. Walking up to me making smart ass comments. - Comments such as " You look bored, or I thought I'd give you something to do, or you look lonely".
                  I could swore you were reading my mind with the first post. Number 14 is big pee peeve of mine. Fact is I get most the most customers. Chances are I've just dealt with a huge complicated order. Sore, out of breath and I am trying to enjoy 5 seconds to catch my breath. Then one shows up with the "You look bored". No you moron. I've been working my ass off.

Comment

It's funny you replied that you hate that pet peeve. About two weeks ago I had 2 people tell me I look lonely, so per a CS members help, I told them they looked lonely too... having to shop on a nice day! They laughed and so did I!

Comment

The weather comments always get stale very quickly. Seriously, what in the world is so interesting about the weather?! It's either sunny or it's not! Sure, maybe it's just for small talk, but... my god...

Yes ma'am/sir, I'm not happy that we had a month of sun and now it's raining, but honestly, don't complain to me about it and act like you want me to give you a hug of sympathy.

I don't touch you people.

Comment

It is just small talk. It can be a conversational opener. It is after all something that everyone has in common.
                        "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

Quoth cinema guy View Post
                          It is just small talk.
                          Exactly.
                          We get complaints about customers who don't even acknowledge us or say a single word during a transaction.

While it's a boring as hell topic, and really a bit inane to talk about, I would rather discuss the weather than be completely ignored.

In fact, it was in discussing the weather that I heard one of the cutest little stories from a customer.

He said, "My goodness, the weather has turned cold suddenly. I'm staying at the cottage and I noticed the Kee birds had returned."

I asked, "'Kee' birds? I don't think I've ever heard of them."

He said, "Yes, they're a small little bird that you see in cold weather. They have a really distinctive call. They perch on my deck and go, 'Kee, kee, kee, kee-rist, it's cold.'"

It gave me a laugh for the day.
                          Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

That's pretty funny.

In Britain, talking about the weather is a national pastime. If you got pissed off at it, you'd be pissed off at everybody.
                            "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

2, 3, and 13 are being polite and I never had a problem with them as a former cashier. I worry about being a SC enough without thinking some snotty cashier took a personal affront to me smiling and inquiring about their well being.

Okay but that aside, I remember being a cashier...being a cashier as a teenager most importantly and everything tends to be a pet peeve, so while I don't agree completely with all your points now, I do understand them.

My biggest pet peeves were when people would say dumb crap like--don't look so unhappy and it's not the end of the world and the "I thought I'd give you something to do" people.

Comment

Quoth Ree View Post
                                He said, "My goodness, the weather has turned cold suddenly. I'm staying at the cottage and I noticed the Kee birds had returned."

I asked, "'Kee' birds? I don't think I've ever heard of them."

He said, "Yes, they're a small little bird that you see in cold weather. They have a really distinctive call. They perch on my deck and go, 'Kee, kee, kee, kee-rist, it's cold.'"
                                We have their cousins here in Texas, that show up in the spring when it gets hot.
                                Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

Working...
                                X