This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Notary (longish)

If there's anything that brings out the cat-butt face and the deeply buried suck in people around here, it's notary services.

-People constantly bring in documents that have already been signed.
    -People bring in documents that they personally are not signing.
    -People bring in documents (or expect us to produce documents) that CANNOT legally be notarized.
    -People are surprised that we require ID before we sign anything.

For those who don't know, a notary serves one simple function (at least in the State of Maryland). We make sure that the person signing the document in question is who they say they are and that they are signing of their own free will. The law requires that we actually witness their signatures and confirm, to the best of our ability, who they are.

Because we've been called to court more than a few times (my boss twice, a co-worker twice and myself once) we have become very strict as to what we will or won't do. Once we would sign off on hand-written documents. We now require that they at least be typed out. Professionally prepared is even better, since we are also now not signing anything without a notarial certificate. There cannot be white-out ANYWHERE on the page (happens all too often). If the document has already been signed, regardless of who is presenting it to us, it is spoiled. If we have to testify, we're going to be asked if we actually witnessed the signing of the document. WE ARE NOT COMMITTING PERJURY FOR YOU!

People not only don't seem to get just what a notary is supposed to do, they think we can be bargained with! For example, state law absolutely forbids a notary from certifying a copy of any document, public or private. That means when someone is directed to send someone a notarized copy of their driver's license, passport, massage school certificate, etc., we have to tell them it's illegal to notarize it in this state. But that doesn't stop the wheedling and begging. "Can't you do it this once?" No. You can obtain a certified copy through the original issuer. Please stop trying to get me to commit a crime.

Another thing that just makes this part of the job wonderful is the scammers. The ones where mom or dad (or grandma or grandpa) is confined to a bed/in a nursing home/out of state, and can't we please please please notarize this will/living will/mortgage even though they aren't here? Some are possibly legitimate. Those people are usually happy to hear that one of the stores in our chain offers mobile notary services. The scammers are always put out that I won't just trust them. Because trust is a vital part of a notary's function.

One last fun part...the clueless who think that we will have what you need as far as documents. I can almost understand this. But...we are not a law office. We're a shipping store. Therefore, when I tell you that I'm not allowed by law to give you legal advice and that giving you a prepared document constitutes legal advice, you should once again not ask me to commit a crime for you. Giving legal advice without having passed the bar in this state is bad mojo. No, I won't google it and print out a document for you. I will not give you a copy of a notarial certificate so you can tack it on to your document at home. Go to the library or to a lawyer.

What prompts this long tirade? Months of backed up clerk rage, plus the dimwit I had this morning who didn't understand why I couldn't notarize a settlement agreement for his dad, who wasn't present. Argh! What I wouldn't give for the power to choke people with my mind!

I have not had to have anything notarized in years for myself, but as soon as the nice notary lady explained how it worked, it made immediate logical sense to me. I guess I am not an SC.

Recently, I had to take our oldest (step, not mine) to get something notarized to send to California, so she could get her birth certificate, and hence an ID. Thank goodness I took her to my bank, because since they knew me they let her use her student ID. I am pretty sure that was just shy of legal, but I had no idea how to get her a state issued ID without a birth certificate. Are student ID's an acceptable form of ID? It had her picture, DOB and name, but nothing else.
    "You mean you don’t have the one piece of information you actually need? Well, stick your grubby paws in the crayon box, yank one out and colour me Fucking Shocked Fuchsia." - Gravekeeper

Comment

Quoth Megg View Post
      but I had no idea how to get her a state issued ID without a birth certificate.
      Such a Pain in the ass. I recently had to do that. What makes it more complicated is that I was over 18 and not living with my parents. I can't remember exactly what I had to have, but it was a pain in the ass.
      The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Are student ID's an acceptable form of ID? It had her picture, DOB and name, but nothing else.[/QUOTE]

That depends on the state laws in which the document is being notarized, I would think. Being a notary myself, I believe that since the lady at the bank knows you, then it was a legitimate notarial act. In my state, the signor either has to produce valid identification or be "personally known" by the notary in order for a notary to sign off on the document.
        Standing on the moon With nothing else to do A lovely view of heaven But I'd rather be with you

Comment

As a notary myself, I feel your pain. Luckily I haven't had to do too much notarizing and haven't dealt with any SCs. I did have a co-worker at my old job (an attorney) get testy with me because I told him we are NOT allowed to notarize any document that is not completely filled out and still has blank lines. He actually went over my head to my boss, expecting my boss to force me to do it. My boss (an attorney too) took my side, being that it's the law and all that.

Not to mention this was a personal document that this employee wanted me to notarize?

Comment

Quoth Megg View Post
            I have not had to have anything notarized in years for myself, but as soon as the nice notary lady explained how it worked, it made immediate logical sense to me. I guess I am not an SC.

Recently, I had to take our oldest (step, not mine) to get something notarized to send to California, so she could get her birth certificate, and hence an ID. Thank goodness I took her to my bank, because since they knew me they let her use her student ID. I am pretty sure that was just shy of legal, but I had no idea how to get her a state issued ID without a birth certificate. Are student ID's an acceptable form of ID? It had her picture, DOB and name, but nothing else.
            The student ID is a good question. I'd probably accept it if I recognized the school and a parent was with the student, or if I personally knew the people in question. I've never actually run across it since I've never done a notary for a minor before (I'd have to question the legality of it if the parent weren't signing too). Birth certificate requests I have done, but had both parents present with ID and signing, not the minor.

I kind of expect some confusion when someone has never needed a notary before. People who have questions aren't sucky, until they won't take "I'm sorry but I really can't do that for you, it's very illegal" for an answer. I get those a disheartening amount of the time. So much that I've taken to questioning anyone who even calls about notary services.

Comment

I had my wallet stolen a few months ago, and as I did not know the fate of it (btw, it was found less than 50 ft of where it had been stolen, all items minus then $1.45 in collector coins still in it! and hidden under a milk crate in the *men's* bathroom...) I had to get a new learner's license.

What I went through:

Explained my picklement to the lady behind the counter. She was nice, though a little abrupt, and I was apologizing to her for my state (i was frustrated and in tears), and she told me I needed a bank statement with my name and address on it, SIN number and a tax form from the previous year. I then had to fill out a form of application for a new birth cert (which was in my wallet and now resides in a lock-box with my SIN!) as well as an application for a learner's license (which I got on my say-so and they checked with ICBC to verify. Took only 40 or so minutes to get vocal confirmation from them, but they had to wait like, 5 hours for the fax.) I got my picture taken, was handed an interim license and told that all ID i was applying for would take 2 weeks to 8 weeks to arrive. (It arrived exactly 14 days later.).

I also had to go down to the Service Canada office about a new SIN card... $10 replacement fee. Gah. Anyway, I'm just glad I decided to memorize my SIN number, saved me there lol.

Turns out my wallet had been stolen by one of the weekend part-timers strictly for the cash... which anything but pennies I keep in my pocket. I don't carry anything valuble like that in my wallet anymore. I mean, my Visa, my SIN AND my birth cert was in there... they could have taken my IDENTITY and they wanted the $1.45 I had.

Stupid teenagers.

</rant>
              sorry for that
              "FUCK NO I DON'T WANT YOUR FREAKY ALIEN MOTHERSHIP ORANGES. " - Cookiesaur
              ~~

Munkie's NaNo WC: 9648

Comment

What I wouldn't give for the power to choke people with my mind!
                Ah, but if anyone who works with the public could do that, there would only be a handful of people left-the sane ones.

Actually, that sounds good! Let me get the lab on it! XD
                The pen may be mightier than the sword, but the D20 rules all!!!

Comment

Quoth Munkie View Post
                  Stupid teenagers.
                  Isn't Identity theft more serious a crime then pickpocketing? Me thinks that has something to do with it.

Or stupid teenagers. That will work too.

Comment

This reminds me of this thread:
                    http://www.customerssuck.com/board/s...ad.php?t=30061
                    "The case of the missing eyelids" wherein we also discussed some of the difficulties associated with being a notary.
                    "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
                    -Mira Furlan

Comment

I have a sorta dumb OT question. For Canadians, is the SIN number the same basic idea as the American SSN (Social Security Number)?
                      "I'm working for popcorn - what I get paid doesn't rise to the level of peanuts." -Courtesy of Darkwish

...Beware the voice without a face...

Comment

I have to admit, during my dirvorce, I was told by other people that since we had no kids and I was the only one with any money & there was no contesting that I did not have to have a notary there when my exhusband and I signed. I learned very quickly that any legal document like that must be signed infront of the notary & yes, it needs to be stamped by a notary.

So I did a boo-boo, but I didn't mean to either.
                        When it comes to getting things done, we need fewer architects and more bricklayers. ---Colleen C. Barrett---

Comment

It's a good idea because if one party decides to contest the document by saying they did not sign it or that they were under duress when they signed, you have a witness who is considered trustworthy by the court.

The case I was called to court for was a divorce case. Apparently the attorney for one party intended to claim it was not their signature, so I got a subpoena from the other party. I actually keep copies of Driver's Licenses (since it contains nearly all the info I need for my register and covers me by demonstrating exactly what I was presented as proof of identity), so I pulled the record. Once they found that out, the story changed to signing under duress. Needless to say I ended up sitting in the courthouse for the better part of a day and didn't testify because the lawyers ended up working it out.

I hate doing final separation agreements. The parties are usually barely civil (often outright venomous) and will continuously bicker/try to alter the agreement on the spot. There are exceptions, but they're definitely oddities.

Comment

In California, notaries keep journals and note what ID was used. If you took a DL for ID, you note the number and expiration date.
                            Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                            HR believes the first person in the door
                            Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                            Document everything
                            CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Working...
                            X