This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Jurgen View Post
    I had to fill in a written statement, while I was doing that one of the four doormen popped his head around the door holding a bowie knife. Apparently that was the large thing in his jacket pocket I had spotted. SC3 is probably still in the cells, he's going to court for assault (even though the punch was never executed the video footage clearly shows him throwing the drink over me and raising his arm to punch), posession of an illegal weapon, and a few other things involving the knife.
    That would be enough to get your ass shot in some of the more "interesting" bars around here...
    Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Well handled. Typically you don't try to beat the customers, but sometimes its allowable or just feels right. I'm just glad you or your staff didn't get stuck by the SC.

Some people don't understand bartenders, or how to deal with them. I worked in bars for years and I still barely understand bartenders.

Here is what I know-
      (This does very from country to country and bar to bar)

Don't mess with bartenders, you are getting in the way of a professional.
      Bartenders are like strippers, don't touch them and don't go on their side of the bar. If so, you will run into the next professional- The bouncer.
      The bartender is not going to be your friend unless they want too.
      Bartenders are not therapists, they are more like pharmacists. Take your medicine and don't tell them about your problems.
      No matter how big your boobs are or who you know, you won't get a discount.
      Bar discounts are like ninjas... they slip up on you.
      If you need a discount to drink at a bar, you don't need to be drinking there.
      Typically any form of discount on drinks should go straight to the tip and not the pocket.

How to order:
      Know your order
      Go to the bar
      Wait
      Bartender directs his or her toward you and is ready for the order.
      Eye contact with the bartender (when possible)
      Clearly order
      Wait and watch the drinks being prepared.
      Pay (full amount, no tricks, no gimmicks)
      Tip (if the bar tender is not busy thank him or her)
      Take drinks and go enjoy them.
      Repeat.
      "Wow, that has to be the best genital analogy EVER. "

Comment

Whoa......one hell of an introductory story there! I hope everything works out with SC3.

And since it appears no one else has said so, to
        "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Quoth Anriana View Post
          I love your creative spelling.
          Jurgen does write very prettily, doesn't he/she/it?

For some odd reason I keep expecting him/her/it to say something about Dr. Watson.

Don't ask, I don't know what's wrong with me lately (yes, I do, it's because I played Professor Layton and EQ took the game back and I wanna play again!).
          Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

Can I go out on a sexist limb and say ... bartender, bar supervisor, beats the customers = guy?

Comment

Quoth One-Fang View Post
              Can I go out on a sexist limb and say ... bartender, bar supervisor, beats the customers = guy?

As right as you are I might point out that there is a female bar supervisor at work who has probably beaten down more SCs than the doorstaff. The worrying thing is she's not at all intimidating until it's far too late, at least I have the decency to be huge and bright orange so people know I'm volatile.
              ---
              This has been a JQM message brought to you in part by Whiskey Tango Foxknot electronic communicae, a division of Apathy Inc. (Because we don't care)

Comment

You're cool.
                "We were put on this Earth to fart around, and don't let anyone ever tell you otherwise." -Kurt Vonnegut

Comment

that single malt you got the guy, wouldn't be Bunnahabhain by any chance would it, can be a tough one to pronounce. But seriously, why didn't the guy just ask for a jack and coke or something. Being scottish, I can quite happily say diluting a moderately expensive single malt with cola is unforgiveable. Obviously water is the mixer of choice, or a wee touch of Irn Bru (tastes pretty good with whisky) although the last is unlikely to be found in most bars, and less likely at a VIP bar.

Comment

Quoth Supernautus View Post
                    that single malt you got the guy, wouldn't be Bunnahabhain by any chance would it, can be a tough one to pronounce. But seriously, why didn't the guy just ask for a jack and coke or something. Being scottish, I can quite happily say diluting a moderately expensive single malt with cola is unforgiveable. Obviously water is the mixer of choice, or a wee touch of Irn Bru (tastes pretty good with whisky) although the last is unlikely to be found in most bars, and less likely at a VIP bar.
                    I thought of Bunnahabhain myself when I read SC1's story, although I'm a Macallan guy myself when it comes to single malt. Also, as a fellow Scot,

SC1 needed to be dragged outside right when he started diluting...there are some things you just don't do, and that is most definitely one of them! He needs to leave that sort of thing to the cheap stuff, and learn to understand what real alcohol means.

Strangely, despite all of the barroom horror stories that show up here, I still hope to one day open up my own joint and try to make it a decent place to be. Not "high style" where everyone looks down their nose and sips martinis with a pinky in the air while music plays softly in the background and no one has a soul. Not a dive bar where I start to think my own glasses are too dirty to clean. Just a nice, friendly, middle-of-the-road type of place where people can come in, drink, and maybe sing a drinking song or two.

What? I'm from a long line of Scottish drinkers (and I quote, "The Scottish drink as much as the Irish, but there's a difference; we fight better afterwards, so no one remembers anything about it later"), and I enjoy hearing a bar full of people sing something like The Black Velvet Band, so long as I don't hear it 20 times in a night.
                    "That's too bad. Hospitals aren't fun to fight through."
                    "What IS fun to fight through?"
                    "Gardens. Electronics shops. Antique stores, but only if they're classy."

Comment

Quoth KhirasHY View Post
                      Strangely, despite all of the barroom horror stories that show up here, I still hope to one day open up my own joint and try to make it a decent place to be. Not "high style" where everyone looks down their nose and sips martinis with a pinky in the air while music plays softly in the background and no one has a soul. Not a dive bar where I start to think my own glasses are too dirty to clean. Just a nice, friendly, middle-of-the-road type of place where people can come in, drink, and maybe sing a drinking song or two.
                      You and I both, Khiras. Add a couple sammiches, a chili and potato soup, and a few sodas and you got my Tavern that's in the works.

Make it nice for the Ladies, too, because I know a couple that can drink any guy under the table.
                      Last edited by RetailWorkhorse; 09-28-2008, 05:12 PM. Reason: Capitalization is my friend.

Comment

Quoth RetailWorkhorse View Post

Make it nice for the Ladies, too, because I know a couple that can drink any guy under the table.
                        That's me!! *jumping up and down to get RWH's attention* Pick me!
                        "I'm working for popcorn - what I get paid doesn't rise to the level of peanuts." -Courtesy of Darkwish

...Beware the voice without a face...

Comment

Quoth Supernautus View Post
                          But seriously, why didn't the guy just ask for a jack and coke or something. Being scottish, I can quite happily say diluting a moderately expensive single malt with cola is unforgiveable. Obviously water is the mixer of choice.

I have to agree with you there Supernautus. Knowing how my dad used to be a scotch connessiuer (sic, I know), it is a damn crime to mix something like a 15 yr old scotch with anything other than water. Can you imagine how long it took for your damn brew to ferment to get that taste? Not cool. I can just see the brewmaster doing this because someone messed with his hard work.

I'm happy that you're safe Jurgen. That was cool of Mr. Everest to buy you a drink after you put up with his shit. I'm also happy that you're safe and that SC3 is now sitting pretty in the kitty. I'm not happy with the fact that you got a slap on the wrist from the management for your actions, but I can understand why they did that. You kept everyone safe though, and did your job. Nice.
                          "Otherwise you are free to keep putting your hope in leprechauns, horseshoes and unicorn farts."-Gravekeeper

Comment

Quoth NightWatch View Post
                            That's me!! *jumping up and down to get RWH's attention* Pick me!
                            *Points at the jumping NightWatch* Like that one!

Comment

Quoth KhirasHY View Post
                              a pinky in the air
                              That's just pretentious and a sign of a social climber.
                              Unseen but seeing
                              oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                              There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                              3rd shift needs love, too
                              RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth Becks View Post
                                That's just pretentious and a sign of a social climber.
                                Or a broken pinky.
                                The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                                "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                                Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Working...
                                X