This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Becks View Post
    Thinking more on the OP--maybe he was expecting direct to DVD?
    No, people are just that stupid.

My GF works in a video store and gets asked this type of question all the time.

It's not that these mental deficients ask something semi-intelligent like, "When will [insert name of new movie that just opened in theaters yesterday] be out on DVD?"... these drooling mouth-breathers actually expect any and all movies that are released in theaters to be available on DVD immediately.
    "It's not easy being evil in a world that's gone to Hell" ~ Anton LaVey

Comment

I get these people...
      Them: Is "whatever" out yet?
      Me: nope. Comes out on Tuesday.
      Them: oh...what about to rent?

...um?

Comment

Quoth Automan Empire View Post
        It's true. I believe some movies are out 8 weeks after screen release.
        No, I think it's usually 12-16 weeks. Maybe 8 for independant films, I dunno. It used to be 6-12 MONTHS . That was fun in a small town. Get lucky and get a new movie when it's new. It rocks, but only stays in the theatre for 2 weeks, then you've got a year until it's out to purchase.

What was really funny was "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" stayed in my theatre (a first-run theatre), selling out shows, until the day of the DVD release, when we stopped playing it.
        Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth Shards View Post
          "But when will then be now?"
          "Soon."

Priceless.
          The radar, it's jammed.

Does anyone remember how long it was before ET was released? I remember seeing it in the theater in 1982 and that it was a long time before it came out on tape. It's amazing, I just recently watched it on laserdisc and remembered every part of it even though I hadn't seen it in 26 years.

Comment

Oh man, I did this once myself. I went into a Blockbuster the week before a DVD came out, wandered around the store for like 10 minutes looking for it, and was finally told that no...National Treasure 2 was the NEXT Tuesday. I apologized, we all had a good laugh...and then he revealed that he had gotten no less than three people that day who were ANGRY that they didn't have "Indiana Jones 4" on DVD. At that point, it REALLY wasn't in theaters, and was still pretty much just a trailer and the sparkle in a fanboy's drool.
            By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Comment

Quoth TruthHurts View Post
              I get a call from a customer asking if we have the new Richard Gere movie on DVD yet. I asks him to describe the film to me in the hopes that it will jog my memory.

As the customer explains it, I realize he is talking about the newest film, the one that isn't due in theaters for another couple of weeks or so. I tell him that it's not even out yet. He asks me if we will be getting it on DVD this week.

I explain again that the film is not even out in theaters yet so likely it won't be on DVD for months. He thanks me and then says "I'll call back next week and check if it you guys have it."

This is totally but it drives me up a wall!!!

They need to learn how to pronounce the name of the town in the title. It is not "Rodantheee" it is "Rodantha". My granddaddy owned a cottage there when I was a child and it makes me crazy every time I see a commercial for that movie!

Comment

Oh, we have those customers too. Except that we're in mobile phones... Like "how much is N96?" I don't know, Nokia has not even released it yet. Like wait for another month or two and come back then.

Rodantha, is it "row-dan-thah" or "roh-dan-thah" then?
                A man can be stupid and not know it, but not if he is married.

Comment

I bet its already on Piratebay.
                  "Wow, that has to be the best genital analogy EVER. "

Comment

Sex and the City just came out on DVD over here, it was release in the cinema on May 28th - so about 16 weeks.

I recall the Michael Keaton/Jack Nicholson Batman movie was pulled from cinemas for a Christmas video release.

DVDs don't seem to have an effect on the second run kids movies we show at weekends, or the ones we show for oldies in the week.

Back when I was a kid we had to wait 4 or 5 years for a movie to come on TV. The only thing we had in the meantime was the novelisation.
                    "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

<Spaceball 1 flies past Lonestar at Ludicrous Speed>
                      Barf: What the HELL was that!?
                      Lonestar: Spaceball 1!
                      Barf: They've gone to plaid!
                      <Both stare in awe.>

I'd love to have some of my favorite movies on DVD myself after I've just watched it in the theater, but common sense tells you they're gonna milk it for all its worth in theaters because that's where they really make the cash. Unfortunately, common sense is an optional feature on many of today's models of homo sapiens.
                      A fact of life: After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F.....

Comment

Quoth IT Grunt View Post
                        they're gonna milk it for all its worth in theaters because that's where they really make the cash.
                        Actually, the longer its in theatres, the more money the theatre makes, and the less the distributor gets. For some movies, the theatre gets absolutely nothing in the first week of ticket sales. If they're lucky, they make up to 10-15% on some. But the longer it's in the theatre, the larger the percentage they get. So really, it is in the distributor's interests to get the DVD out sooner.
                        Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

In some respects the movie in the cinema is just a big advert for the DVD.

The DVD is: "Another chance to experience...", or 'Missed the big event movie of the summer? Now is your chance to see it."

The short lead times mean the hype for the movie is still reasonably fresh in peoples' minds.

Smaller movies can make more money on DVD, yet would never get made if they weren't going in to the cinema first.
                          "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

Quoth Automan Empire View Post
                            I remember asking video store clerks for History of the World part II.
                            It took a lot of NOs before I realized that Mel Brooks never made a Part II. Just that teaser on the end of part I.
                            Admit it, you were after Hitler On Ice (Because Jews In Space was Spaceballs ).
                            Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

Quoth RetailWorkhorse View Post
                              Admit it, you were after Hitler On Ice (Because Jews In Space was Spaceballs ).
                              What I find funny was the music for "Jews in Space" was recycled and used for "Men in Tights"

Comment

I remember that american idol movie, Justin to Kelly, was released a week after it floped at the theatres.

So using bad logic, bad movies get to dvd faster then good movies. Therfor, the Dark Knight won't be released til.... 2010. Christmas.
                                Military Spouse Support.
                                http://www.customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=45
                                Plaidman's Minions: Telecom_Goddess: Dungeon Minion

Comment

Working...
                                X