Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This guy had no right to be upset. If I saw how the guy was acting in a gun store, I would call the police immediately cause he could buy the gun somewhere else and go back and shoot me. I may be paranoid but I don't trust anybody especially with a gun.

Comment

"Sir... your chance of me handing you a gun is decreasing exponentially every time you open your mouth."

"Sir, the chance that you pass the background check to purchase any type firearm is decreasing rapidly"

I have seen a person "fail" a background check because he said one too many questionable things to the staff of my favorite gun store. After the dude left the employee mentioned to the owner, "Oh yea... forgot to tell you, he passed the background check, but I didn't feel right selling him a rifle." They all laughed, then went back to what they were doing. Sorry we don't need your money, or to be the ones responsible for selling you a weapon.
      "Wow, that has to be the best genital analogy EVER. "

Comment

As far as I'm concerned, the guy didn't pass his background check. I think a thorough one had just been conducted.
        Excuse me, good sir paladin, can you direct me to your EVIL district?

http://www.dywhcomic.com

Comment

I have been asked for id to handle a gun, i have happily handed it over. Now if they start requiring ID to buy ammo, then I have a bit of an issue. I already own the gun, what I do with it as long as I am not commiting a crime is my own business.

On the plus side, I just inherited a seriously nicely kept and all serial numbered and all parts except the original wooden holster a spiffy <looted> p.08 [luger] that is pre-nazi. I even have the original spare mag [with the walnut bit] and the little tool thingy that probably has a 35 letter word in german as its name that means spiffy-tool-thingy I *may* fire it, but I have newer guns for that. This is probably going to get kept nicely locked away and gloated over =)
          EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

People squealing about store policy drives me nuts. The way I see it is that it is there store/business and if they want to require me to stand on my head while looking at their product they can. My right is to not shop there if I don't want to, but I wouldn't throw a fit about it.

Comment

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
              I have been asked for id to handle a gun, i have happily handed it over. Now if they start requiring ID to buy ammo, then I have a bit of an issue. I already own the gun, what I do with it as long as I am not commiting a crime is my own business.
              don't they have to check for age?

where I work I don't think they take ID, but I can't be sure, as I'm not 18 yet and can't handle guns in stores. someone could walk off with the display guns and it wouldn't be a big deal. displays don't have firing pins at my store, they'd try to rob someone and the gun would go *click* then the intended victim would probably shoot them. They probably have the firing pins in the separate location where the working guns they sell are kept, because sometimes I see a display disappear(like the shotgun I was eyeing, so close to my 18th b day )

Comment

This one is off the charts. IME (movies, tobacco, alcohol,) many people become irritated, offended, or otherwise upset when asked for identification, but only a very select few completely flip out. These customers radically misinterpret a simple request and turn it into some sort of personal transgression. I've experienced this reaction a few times when carding people for alcohol and their reactions were out of line -- but here I'm at a loss. Once again, I'd like to know what exactly the problem was.
                A store which sells deadly weapons is obligated (not just legally, but ethically) to distribute these weapons with the utmost caution and the safety of the general public in mind. If someone wants a deadly weapon they have to follow the rules; it's as simple as that. I mean, what would the appropriate response be to a person who became hysterically offended about giving up their identification while purchasing explosives?
                Last edited by Applerod; 09-23-2008, 10:02 AM.

Comment

and another store policy I forgot about

if the person at the sporting goods counter says they aren't comfortable allowing the sale, the sale is denied, the CEO, and Board of Directors could come to the counter and say "sell it", and policy would not allow them to force the sale. all gun sales are also done with a manager, so there's 2 chances for it to be declined for being an ass. then there's the background check

I'm surprised we haven't had any threads on here entitled "no I will not sell you a G-Lock fo-tay".

Comment

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
                    At least where I live, you have to be a certain age to be able to buy bullets, which is why this may come up in some places.

Quoth nomorecarts View Post
                    and another store policy I forgot about

if the person at the sporting goods counter says they aren't comfortable allowing the sale, the sale is denied, the CEO, and Board of Directors could come to the counter and say "sell it", and policy would not allow them to force the sale. all gun sales are also done with a manager, so there's 2 chances for it to be declined for being an ass. then there's the background check
                    Sounds like your store has an awesome set up

I fail to understand why people get so utterly offended when asked to show ID
                    "Man, having a conversation with you is like walking through a salvador dali painting." - Mac Hall

Comment

I fail to understand why people get so utterly offended when asked to show ID
                      Cause they must be insecure about how they look on their IDS.

Comment

Bullets and so on are dangerous even without an actual firearm to load them into. I don't know a great deal about explosives, but you could certainly turn them into a fragmentation bomb without too much effort. Drop some into a bog-standard Molotov Cocktail - which is nasty enough as it is - and it could be a *real* problem.

The gun just makes it's destructive power more focussed, controllable and efficient. Vastly so.

Comment

Quoth Chromatix View Post
                          .... Drop some into a bog-standard Molotov Cocktail - which is nasty enough as it is - and it could be a *real* problem.....
                          i don't know what bog-standard is... but when rounds are fired off, they don't have as much destructive power because most of the energy isn't focused through a barrel... Mythbusters did a show where the were seeing how deadly rounds cooked off in a fire were..... painful, yes, deadly... not so much.

Comment

Quoth Chromatix View Post
                            Bullets and so on are dangerous even without an actual firearm to load them into. I don't know a great deal about explosives, but you could certainly turn them into a fragmentation bomb without too much effort. Drop some into a bog-standard Molotov Cocktail - which is nasty enough as it is - and it could be a *real* problem.

The gun just makes it's destructive power more focussed, controllable and efficient. Vastly so.
                            there are tools available you could use to remove the bullet from the casing and get the powder out

that also reminds of a story I read a few months ago where some moron was putting rounds in a vice and hitting the primer to set them off in his basement. He shot himself, or hurt himself with the explosion, or something and I think there were also criminal charges if I remember correctly

Comment

Quoth MoonChild2007 View Post
                              Cause they must be insecure about how they look on their IDS.
                              Hopefully that's not entirely it. I mean, I still look like me on mine. If not a little dead (the flash was bright and washed my skin out).

...Smiling, but dead.

I'm thinking it's because when someone asks for ID at the gun store, it's because they're looking at age and the picture? So someone with a stolen ID can't buy a gun, or... uh... something similar to that theory.

I lost my train of thought near the end. *Choochoo*
                              Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Quoth nomorecarts View Post
                                there are tools available you could use to remove the bullet from the casing and get the powder out
                                yup it's a kinetic hammer-and it's more expensive to buy that and the ammo than to just buy straight black powder.
                                Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Working...
                                X