This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Professor Dave on Price Matching

Listen up boys and girls. It's time to explain how [not] to get a Price Match at Staples!

The following conditions must be met for us to match a competitor's price:

1) The competitor must be a brick-and-mortar retailer, not a website. Please do not come in asking if we'll match Amazon or (worse), eBay. And - if it's the website for a brick-and-mortar store - it must be their in-store price, not an online-only special.

2) You must bring in some form of proof that the price there is what you say it is, such as a current circular or a printout from their website showing the in-store price. No, we will not "take your word for it," because I am inclined to believe that you are a liar. (Yes, I've had people lie about this before)

3) We must carry the EXACT SAME item. It doesn't matter how similar the item is; it must be the SAME. I will not brook any arguments about how all the specifications are the same except for the item number.

4) There must not be a rebate involved. If they are offering a mail-in-rebate we will only match the price you pay at the register over there.

Now, pay attention, because this last condition is VITAL

5) The item must be in-stock at the competitor's location NEAREST TO US! Therefore, if you want us to match Circuit Shitty City, then the Circuit City next door to us must have the item in stock. Moreover, we must call them to verify this. Again, we can't take your word for it, because of course you are going to tell us that you were "just there" and they had "tons of them." (Then why didn't you just buy it there, douchenozzle?)

You see, the purpose behind matching a competitor's price is to keep your business here rather than have you go to a competitor to buy something you could otherwise buy from us. But for this to even be possible, you must theoretically be able to buy the item from the competitor. If it's out of stock there, then you can't buy it from them, and therefore we have no incentive to match the price; you either buy it at full price from us or you are SOL.

Now, if you meet all five criteria, then yes, we will match the price. However, if even one criteria isn't met, then you are SOL.

Now, here's an example of a guy who got it wrong. Afterward, I'd like you to write a paragraph explaining why he was mistaken.

Guy comes in looking for a price match on a printer. He says it's $199 at Office Depot. Our price is $399.

1) Is it a brick-and-mortar store? Check.

2) Does he have proof of the price? He has a current circular. Check.

3) It is the same model number as our printer? Check.

4) Are there no rebates involved? Check.

Looking good so far......let me call the Office Depot at the plaza next door and find out if it's in-stock.

Office Depot: I'm sorry, but I'm out of that model.

5) Is the item in-stock? NO!

Dan (Manager on Duty): No price match.

Now, the "gentleman" in question proceeds to argue with me on the definition of "in-stock."

I told him that it means they need to have the item in the building, available for immediate pick-up.

He argues (for more than five minutes!) the following:

-That another Office Depot location must have it in-stock, therefore we should price match.

Yes, I'm sure you're right that at least one Office Depot location somewhere in the world has this printer in-stock. However, our Price Match Policy - which is posted at the Service Desk for you to read in full if you'd like - explicitly states that the store nearest to us must have it in-stock. The nearest store does not have it in stock, therefore I can not price match.

-That the nearest location can probably order it in from the warehouse or from their website, which is the same as having it in-stock, therefore we should price match.

Sir, the definition of "in-stock" means "available for immediate pick-up." While they could certainly special-order one for you, it would mean a delay of at least a day, and also means obtaining the item though channels other than that store's stock. Therefore, you can NOT obtain it from them immediately, and therefore it is NOT in-stock. So NO PRICE MATCH!

-That you have a Staples Rewards Card.

So what? That doesn't make you a member of an exclusive club; anyone and everyone can get a Staples Rewards Card. And I don't care if you have Double Secret Probation Edition Staples Rewards Card, it doesn't make you exempt from store policy. I still can't match the price.

-Will Staples.com match the price for me?

What the Dot Com people will or will not do is entirely outside my purview. I can only tell you what will or will not be done in THIS store. Not some other Staples entity.

-Can't you ask the manager?

As I already informed you, I DID ask the manager. He said NO. If you'd like to discuss this further with him, you're welcome to.

-Try rephrasing and reordering the above objections

Sir, I've already answered these questions. I'm not some naƮve fool who will slip up and say something different the second time. I've been around this barbecue a few times. Just because you won't take know for an answer doesn't mean I'm stupid.

Then, after going over all this no less than THREE times, he finally took me up on my offer to speak with the manager, then proceeded to argue the same points with him for another full five minutes.

Identify the areas of Fail and write a paragraph explaining them. You will then be qualified to ask for Price Matches at Staples.

Class dismissed.
    "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

I hate homework.

If another teacher gives a shorter assignment, will you length-match?

Comment

Quoth Lachrymose View Post
      I hate homework.

Pure gold. *bows*
      Osoroshii kangae nimo osoware masu...

Comment

I have never understood the reasons for a price match. Seems to me that if you can get an item at another store for a cheaper price then why not go there & eliminate all the price matching nonsense?
        That's like going out of your way to get gas a cheaper rate but by the time you drive back to where you were then you burned up the so called "savings.

Comment

Quoth Bright_Star View Post
          I have never understood the reasons for a price match. Seems to me that if you can get an item at another store for a cheaper price then why not go there & eliminate all the price matching nonsense?
          That's like going out of your way to get gas a cheaper rate but by the time you drive back to where you were then you burned up the so called "savings.
          I feel the same way. I just don't understand why you didn't buy the item at the other store, if they had it and it was such a great price. I assume it was because you wanted to check at the second store, to see if they had it at a lower price. When you found out they did not, you didn't feel like driving back to the first place, so decided to go to the trouble of arguing about 'price matching'.

Frankly, I always felt people were lying to me when they wanted to price match, 'cuz it was so ridiculous.
          I no longer fear HELL.
          I work in RETAIL.

Comment

Quoth Lachrymose View Post
            I hate homework.

NO! 10 points off just for asking!!!!!!!!
            "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

The manager at the one here used to hate me. I once got a free printer, few hundred free CD-Rs, etc, then staples changed the policy to 110% not 150%
              Otaku

Comment

Uh...my dog ate my homework...
                I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

The only times I've ever price matched was when I had two stores offering the same product but it was the one I hated going to that had the better price. If I can get it at the store I like for that price, I'm going to give them my business in a heartbeat.

As to the OP, yeah, some people just can't understand the concept of 'in stock' at the competing store. Maybe he took debate?
                  "You are the dumbest smart person I have ever met in my life!" Will Smith, 'I, Robot'.

"You LOSE! Good day, sir!" Gene Wilder, 'Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory'.

Comment

Yeah, about the homework. I am not in school, so I will not do it.

I also never really understood for a price match. If I saw something cheaper somewhere else, then I will get it there.
                    Under The Moon Paranormal Research
                    San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

Price matching needs to Die In A Fire. Almost nobody who asks for a price match at my store actually satisfies all the conditions to receive it.

And unfortunately I work in a store that does price match. ALWAYS HAS, ALWAYS WILL.
                      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth powerboy View Post
                        I also never really understood for a price match. If I saw something cheaper somewhere else, then I will get it there.
                        80% of the time I agree with you. However, when I last bought tires I saw that Sears had the ones I wanted for lower than Merchants (I cannot stand Sears repair centers, even if my Dad did used to work for one). So I asked the Merchants man about it and he knocked the price down for me.

Then he pissed me off by telling me I have a bent tie rod (Dad checked, no I didn't) so I go to Firestone for tire related purchases.

Comment

Want the other side of the spectrum for being ridiculous?

Our store offers a "lowest price guarantee" on our furniture that we will never be undersold.

The problem is that it's in the furniture we sell.

Which is exclusive to our company.
                          "Time shall help me face my painful memories with indifference, and with more of it, I won't feel the need to face them at all..."

Comment

I have used the same logic and example to discredit the SC mentality of price matching.
                            "It's not easy being evil in a world that's gone to Hell" ~ Anton LaVey

Comment

Quoth Kusanagi View Post
                              Want the other side of the spectrum for being ridiculous?

Our store offers a "lowest price guarantee" on our furniture that we will never be undersold.

The problem is that it's in the furniture we sell.

Which is exclusive to our company.
                              Details, details...

Comment

Working...
                              X