This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth ArcticChicken View Post
    Yeah, I've been working on a way to point that out, without getting fired, to the next person who pulls the race card on me.
    Eh. Only works if, like the one in the op, they accuse your entire race of being racist.

I believe we should all just laugh at racism when it happens. Make the racists feel stupid, and maybe they'll get the message. Or not, and continue providing us comedy material. Win-win.
    Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

I think I understand the math... possibly. Although it is quite complicated, and has a ton of history, legality and feelings wrapped up in it.

Not getting what you want = Racist

Being asked to do something you don't want to do = Racist

Being told "No"= Racist

A belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others =

Hatred or intolerance of another race or other races =

I guess thats how it goes. I guess if you fear being called a racist then the word carries weight and can be used as a weapon. Heck, I wondered about posting this just because it is about the term racism. Cry racist too much and the word will loose its power. When real discrimination and racism occurs it may get drowned by all the false accusations of racism.
      "Wow, that has to be the best genital analogy EVER. "

Comment

Quoth DevilBoy View Post
        Yes.
        If the person is in any way Non-Caucasian and you are Caucasian, then telling them "No" to anything, regardless of its importance or magnitude, it equates to you being a racist.

Yup all of us White People are racist I am sick and tired of being labeled as a racist, whenever the other race does not get their way.
        Under The Moon Paranormal Research
        San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

Quoth MTNLaurelPoacher View Post
          When real discrimination and racism occurs it may get drowned by all the false accusations of racism.
          That's exactly what will happen. The race card gets played so often, that most people go and ignore it. For example,it's never that the customer was an asshole, or didn't meet the criteria for the sale, it's always because of their skin color, or their religion, or... It's really pathetic that people have to use those tactics over relatively trivial matters. Those bastards are one of the main reasons that racism is still alive and well today. Unfortunate, but true.
          Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth Bramble View Post
            DC- "I don't appreciate being told that I can't smoke in the yard. I don't appreciate being told I have to put out my cig. That's the problem with you white people, you are all racist! YOU'RE A RACIST! YOU'RE A FUCKING RACIST!!!!!"
            "No ma'am. It is just that a political group was here building some big crosses for someone's yard this morning, and they told us to be very careful as the crosses were treated with gas such that they can catch fire very easily."

Wait. Maybe that is too sick to leave up.
            "Ignorance is no excuse for a law."
            .................................................. ..................- Alfred E. Newman

Comment

The upper class department store I work for really frowns on smoking. We try not to hire anyone that smokes. Employees are not allowed to smoke any time in they are on their shift, including on breaks. And you are not allowed to come in smelling like smoke. This goes along on the rules where your clothing needs to be wrinkle free and you need to use a neutral odor deodorant. Yes they are that strict, more draconian than a white castle.

Smoking is not a protected status, if its clearly defined no smoking period when you are hired then you can be fired breaking the rules, and its all legal. If you lie and are caught some how, they let you go on the spot. Eight hours is a long time for some people. Where I used to work many of the smokers tried to sneak off at least twice an hour.

At least twice a week someone is turned down for employment because of smoking. One of them will always go;

"You can't do that, its against the law to discriminate against smokers!"

Same rules go for visible tattoos. Its not protected status so we can refuse to hire you. However they rarely say anything when turned down.

Comment

Dare I suggest most of those who have visible tattooes have made a considered decision to display the result of a choice they made, knowing full well that it doesn't agree with "upper middle class" WASP type society, and may garner them some negative feedback at some point.

Compared to the stereotypical whiney smokers* who are pandering more to a chemical need than any genuine decision, have probably forgotten why they started, and are offended that everyone on the planet doesn't appreciate how ***hard*** it is to go a full eight hours without a ciggie.

* Yes I know there are some sensible smokers out there too. And probably some freaked out teens completely unaware their shiny new tatt is an issue for some. But generally speaking, I think it's fair to say most tattooed are more coherent of the societal negativity associated with their choice than most smokers.

Comment

A few of the comments about people claiming racism were getting a touch too broad with the brush, folks, and I was left feeling uncomfortable. Can we leave it on the topic of individual instances and occurrances, rather than generic statements?

Rapscallion

Comment

Reminds me of the black girl who I once IDed for alcohol, cuz she looked more like 16 than 18. Her immediate response was, "You're IDing me cuz I'm black!" My reply was, "No, I'm IDing you cuz you don't look 18." -.- I don't care if you're black, white or rainbow coloured; if you look underage, you are not getting any booze or ciggies unless you can prove your age.
                    People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                    My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth DevilBoy View Post
                      Yes.
                      If the person is in any way Non-Caucasian and you are Caucasian, then telling them "No" to anything, regardless of its importance or magnitude, it equates to you being a racist.

So true, yet so sad at the same time. It is also racist to help people in the order they arrive to be checked out. Who knew.

Comment

My family was acused of racism when I was 8 years old. All I said was, "My dad doesn't like rap music." I wasn't trying to be mean, I was just participating in conversation.

Anyway, one girl got pissed and told on me. Before I know it, there are a couple camp counselors scolding me for it. I had no idea what I did wrong. Honestly, I was really scared.

I thought I might get in trouble with my parents, so I didn't tell them about it. Now I kinda wish I had told them. There's no way my dad would have let that slide.

It's one of those moments you wish you could go back in time with your current knowledge and experience and tell them off.
                        Check out my cosplay social group!
                        http://customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=18

Comment

I just raise one eyebrow, look them up and down, and then snicker. Then I say "Right. Pull the other one, it's got bells on. My BROTHER is darker than you, what makes you think I give a shit WHAT color you are?"

Fing is, Mr. Perma-tan is not genetically related to me. His genes are of First Nations origin, hence the permanently dark skin. He's also 6'4", 230lbs, and highly intolerant of anyone pulling the race card. I'm very fond of my baby brother and proud to be his sister, if you couldn't tell.
                          What colour is the sky in your world and how high of a dosage do you need before it turns back to blue? --Gravekeeper

Comment

Thank god this wasn't a customer of mine, but I actually shut someone up by telling them that "I'm not racist, I think everyone in the world should die...horribly."

They just backed away slowly.

M
                            I never lost my faith in humanity. Can't lose what you never had right?

Comment

Quoth Gabrielle Proctor View Post
                              My family was acused of racism when I was 8 years old. All I said was, "My dad doesn't like rap music." I wasn't trying to be mean, I was just participating in conversation.

Anyway, one girl got pissed and told on me. Before I know it, there are a couple camp counselors scolding me for it. I had no idea what I did wrong. Honestly, I was really scared.

I thought I might get in trouble with my parents, so I didn't tell them about it. Now I kinda wish I had told them. There's no way my dad would have let that slide.

It's one of those moments you wish you could go back in time with your current knowledge and experience and tell them off.
                              I find that stupid that someone would get pissed at you, considering that most rap CDs are bought by suburban white kids.

Comment

In our old neighborhood, every time my children's toys were stolen I would walk down to the mostly black neighborhood and lo and behold find their toys. No, I'm saying they took the toys becasue they are black, it was because they weren't taught any manners, just like a majority of white children.

One time I was down there a black woman came out of her house and told me I only came down there because I was racist. I looked at her and told her that she thinks to highly of herself. I have hate everyone equally. She got a look on her face and went back in her house.

If you want to play the race card with me, simply because I happen to be white, I will take it out of play. Oh, and yes, I do hate everyone equally.
                                Do not annoy the woman with the flamethrower!

If you don't like it, I believe you can go to hell! ~Trinity from The Matrix

Yes, MadMike does live under my couch.

Comment

Working...
                                X