Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"¿Dónde está su cerebro?"(Or, where is your brain!?)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "¿Dónde está su cerebro?"(Or, where is your brain!?)

Another week here and gone...it's my monday again, which means it's time for the weekly rundown here in hotel land! Hooray for me!

Subpoena

Monday morning, I've just gotten home...fell asleep at 9:30 or so...within minutes, the phone rings.

CW: Uh, Khiras? BossMan is on the phone right now with a marshal, he says it's about a subpoena? Something about a taxi issue?
    Me: .................run me through that again.
    CW: Hold on a sec, BossMan (BM) is off the phone...here he is.
    (BM comes on)
    Me: Please don't tell me there's a subpoena I never got.
    BM: Don't worry, you didn't miss it...but I guess you and <other CW> are being subpoena'd tomorrow for something that happened with a taxi, the marshal is running the slips over now.
    Me: When is this supposed to be?
    BM: Apparently, tomorrow at 8:30am.
    Me: Awesome of them to tell me this beforehand...I was planning on taking a massive dump that morning.
    BM: Thanks for the info...well, I'll let you get back to bed.
    Me: Ok...thanks BM.

The subpoena? Yeah, some dipshit taxi driver that is banned from our hotel (for being a dickhead during the DNC) parked in our taxi lane and refused to leave, which created a hassle and a safety hazard, since the other drivers had to pull their cars around his (and into traffic) to swing around and park on our drive when a customer showed up. He got a ticket for refusing to leave, and he called the police to try and force us to let him pick up.

The judge had to dismiss the ticket, but she was PISSED, flat out told him "you should have been arrested for trespassing, not given a parking ticket." That's when we learned that, while the cab lane is part of city property (the street), it's designated for our hotel. This means that, next time he parks there, he's trespassing. The judge also had us turn in formal complaints with his information, and this will be his third complaint...so odds are, he's going to lose his license anyway. The funny thing is, he sat there grinning the whole time since he got the ticket dismissed...I honestly believe he thinks he was the winner here.

Stalker much?

One of our regulars has this habit of picking up women that, honestly, there's no way he could get without a healthy downpayment. I can't prove it, but I know a hooker when I see one, I'm not new at this, so let's just assume that I know what I'm talking about, mmmkay? Anyway, that regular is back in town, and he gave some girl a panic attack by giving her his number and business card, and asking for her number. He followed her and a friend outside, but backed off when they told him to do so. Problem is, that whole story is from the girl's friend, who didn't see the whole thing, and the girl has panic attacks fairly often...this means that, until she calms down enough, we have no proof that he did anything other than be a typical guy in a bar trying to pick up someone out of his league.

I'd like to kick him out, but I can't do it unless she can give me the type of information I need. Boo.

Harroween

I was off on Halloween, since it's my favorite holiday of them all. This does not mean I missed out on SCs though when we hit the bar in costume to party. Here's a quick rundown:

-The idiot screaming at the bartender because they don't have Pabst Blue Ribbon at the bar (seriously? Come on man, order a beer while you're here). He got thrown out shortly after.
    -The guy who puked on 3 people at 10pm...it's a bit early for that, buddy. Thanks for not hitting me though.
    -The guy who knocked over my drink...twice...by stumbling into our table. He got thrown out shortly after the second one.
    -And finally, the 3 dozen drunk people who damn near killed me on the roads as I drove home. I had actually sobered up by 2am (closing time), so thankfully I was able to avoid every person who suddenly swerved at me. Assholes...

Paintball Madness

Fun fact about me, I'm an avid paintballer. I don't have the time to do it as much as I like, but I do enjoy getting out there and playing quite a bit. That said, I started at 13...13 years ago...and the FIRST thing I learned was the basic rules of paintballing:

1) Gun plugs in when you're not on the field, and safeties on.
    2) Never fire a gun when someone's around without a mask on.
    3) Never take your mask off on the field for ANY reason.
    4) Never...ever...EVER fire a gun at someone in public.

A car full of idiots violated rule #4 tonight, shooting 2 of my fellow employees, and marking up the side of my building a bit. This angers me more than it should, particularly because they are exactly the reason Paintball has gotten such a bad rap over the years.

Khiras, you farked up!

Got a call at home from BM during my days off asking me why I missed a mandatory reason. (FUCK!) Turns out it was on the same day as the subpoena, and started at 4pm...I got home at 1pm after working all night since we were the last case >< Slept through my alarm So I got in trouble there.

He also called because there was a billing issue that was all confused, and all three of us screwed up on it at one point. (FUCK AGAIN!) Strike two for me

Then there was a third problem where I just flat out forgot about something, and it didn't get dealt with right as a result.

So I got to get yelled at 3 times in one phone call. Of course, I also couldn't defend myself because the call came in at what time? That's right, probably 15-20 minutes after I had fallen asleep. No one ever calls me while I'm awake.

DST Woes

I hate Daylight Savings. I can't win either way...in the spring, people get 1 less hour of sleep, so everyone is pissy with me (although I get to work a short shift that night ). In the fall, everyone else is happy, but we all get to work long shifts (11 hours tonight ), and I'm a salaried worker...so I work almost half a day, if not more, and get nothing in return Every time we hit a DST day, I just groan and want to kill things.

Employee Woes

Dear CW, I understand you're upset because you got in trouble, but don't get angry at my nice employee because they did their job.

A CW at front desk was caught basically wasting time and having a 60+ minute phone call on the clock on a cell phone (big no-no). They were on camera, and their boss had us verify how long she was there and on the phone, but she's pissed at my people.

This, naturally, angers me, since I'm "daddy" still as far as the graveyard shift goes. Now I've got to pull her into the office and explain a few of the finer details of "do your job" just to (hopefully) put an end to all of this before it explodes. I apologize to all the women on the forums, but I swear, there's something about estrogen that just doesn't compute right on the social level. I'm starting to think that women are destined to remain apart, lest they try and kill one another in any given situation.

If any women would like to offer comments, by all means, go ahead it just seems you always hate each other at such an accomplished level at work.

Wow...just wow...

Ok, before I type this, let me make something clear: this next part is not going to turn into a political piece, so don't make it one.

We had a guy come in who was not a guest, and he started harassing our valet guys. He was walking right up close to them and screaming about how they shouldn't bow down to the "white man", and how they should vote for change, vote for Obama! He's also about 18, and he's drunk as all hell.

For those of you new to my posts, I'm a Scotsman by descent, which means I'm the whitiest white of whiteness. My skin tone is, in a word, "shiny", especially when I'm under direct sunlight. You can imagine how Screamy the Clown (a new SC term, as of this post) loved my candy ass.

The screaming went on for a while, and we asked him to leave, told him not to come back, and so on. The guy plays ball, and we're perfectly nice to him about it. For about 5 minutes.

He comes back, resumes screaming, and I've had a bad week, so it's police time since he's beginning to piss me off, and I've had just enough crap this week to be moved to violence. This guy is also pushing his luck, because I do not like people touching me, nor do I like them stepping into my personal space over and over, and he's doing both. One of my more recent posts described what I accidently (no, really!) did to a few people who grabbed me from behind with no warning. This guy had plenty of warnings and my temper was getting a bit hotter with each passing moment.

Things ended rather comically, in retrospect, and it's best described by the way it appears on video. You see me, one of my guys, and the two valet employees standing in the way of this moron. As he continues to get in my face, one of the valet guys paces behind him...then you see him pointing at the guy from behind, as if to say "TARGET", and walk back in front of him (and behind me). The next thing happens in the span of about 6 frames of camera footage: A cop pops out from behind a tree, twists one of SC's arms behind him while putting an arm across his neck, and SC is pulled behind the tree. It's like something out of a comedy. Thus ends our wonderful event of trespassing and drunk and disorderly.

On a side note, the recording of that first part of the arrest is 100x more beautiful to me, since the 5'11", 130 pound guy was finally to the point of threatening me, the 6'3" 200 pound guy. I know size isn't everything, but I'm sorry, the likelihood of me losing a fight to a guy who loses that much to me in pure size when he's too drunk to stand still for more than a second is a bit small. I was rather amused when arrest time popped up

Thus ends another week! Of course, I'm now starting the next week. I'm also feeling weak...because I'm starting to get sick...YAY! Sore throat, ear infection, upset stomach, general weakness, headache, and sinus pain. This is gonna be a long November...
    "That's too bad. Hospitals aren't fun to fight through."
    "What IS fun to fight through?"
    "Gardens. Electronics shops. Antique stores, but only if they're classy."

If any women would like to offer comments, by all means, go ahead it just seems you always hate each other at such an accomplished level at work.
    as much as i don't want to agree with you... yeah i think it happens sometimes. when the people actually care about their jobs and getting them done... well not so much

but when they're just getting a paycheck and worrying about who's dating whom, and all that drama... then yes.

but i personally have been lucky... didn't get much of it myself cos the most females i had in one division was... maybe 4 or 5 females out of 25 people. and we didn't all work together.

Comment

On Women:

Actually, I prefer all female environments. There's in fact a lot LESS stupid shit.

Step back for a second and assess teh situation- I gather chiquita on the phone was a problem- beinging bad juju down on the shift? Or does the other feel hopelessly put-upon? That's the problem.

My Observation- men fight light wolves- once dominance is achieved, you're done. Women usually don't bother to fight unless it's important, and when we do, we fight til the other is Down, as in not getting up again. Even women who kinda have the guy mojo often still don't know to stop at dominance and go for the kill, proverbial or not.

Throw in a sociopath and things get ugly quickly.

If it makes you feel any better, in a larger all female group, these two personalities would gravitate to opposite ends of the workplace anyway. If it's not an option, negotiation can work. If not, just grit your teeth and hope the squall passes quickly (usually it does)

Comment

Quoth KhirasHY View Post
        Yeah, some dipshit taxi driver that is banned from our hotel (for being a dickhead during the DNC) parked in our taxi lane and refused to leave.
        I know this is somewhat off topic, but I assume this is just the recent 2008 DNC. If that's the case, hello to another Denverite
        To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

I guess I'm the weird one (Nah, Really??). I prefer an environment that has few if any other women. I'm a spitfire, I need my space and I need my minions. I run the boat because all the others? Pansy's that can't stand on their own two feet without someone else to catch the pieces they missed.

Guy's are easy to deal with. Women are not. Why? Because they naturally assume I either don't know what I'm talking about (in the industry for 3 years now, try me.) or am too afraid to try anything.

When it comes to kicking out problem guests, for example, I'm the one they turn to. Because I'm very mean.

Khiras, you're salaried? Are you a manager? Because that would explain a lot -- like benefits and how you get away with the stuff you do.
          Last edited by Evil Queen; 11-02-2008, 03:30 PM. Reason: Missed a sentance entirely. Damn my thinking faster then my typing skills.
          Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

I can't wait for this election to be over. The customers are being stupid about it. Last night I had one harassing my order taker in drive thru about the importance of voting. After a couple of minutes she started ranting about the negative points of both candidates.

Comment

Paintball Madness
              Additional rule...Wear a Cup, trust me, I know, 1 I got pegged in the bollocks, while I was standing in the suposed dafe zone for when you're out and 2. It was from 3 frigging fields away! Hurt like hell too.
              I am the nocturnal echo-locating flying mammal man.

Comment

Quoth RayvenQ View Post
                Additional rule...Wear a Cup, trust me, I know, 1 I got pegged in the bollocks,
                *winces in sympathy* Argh. That had to suck.
                Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth Evil Queen View Post
                  I guess I'm the weird one (Nah, Really??). I prefer an environment that has few if any other women. I'm a spitfire, I need my space and I need my minions. I run the boat because all the others? Pansy's that can't stand on their own two feet without someone else to catch the pieces they missed.

Guy's are easy to deal with. Why? Because they naturally assume I either don't know what I'm talking about (in the industry for 3 years now, try me.) or am too afraid to try anything.

When it comes to kicking out problem guests, for example, I'm the one they turn to. Because I'm very mean.
                  I wanna work for you, Sis!
                  Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

Yes dear, you can work for me.
                    Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
                      *winces in sympathy* Argh. That had to suck.
                      I wouldn't have minded if I were still in play but I was supposed to be bloody safe!
                      I am the nocturnal echo-locating flying mammal man.

Comment

I can't respond to the Women vs Men In the Workplace thing, since really, I don't work with many men as coworkers. Inside, most of the guys are managers (there's, let's see... about 7 male managers and 3 female), although most of the employees are female. There's maybe 2 guys working inside that aren't at least supervisors.

The guys typically work outside, though there are a couple girls out there.

Of course, working in this environment, I find taht there's stupidity and laziness in both genders. One of the males inside is constantly flirting, ruining pizzas, disappearing, etc. The other guy is nice enough, but quiet, and stays at his post doing his job. The female coworkers are, for the most part, dilligent (just not quite to the level that I am), though a few DO run off and disappear without a word from time to time, or slip in the back to talk on their cell phones even though that's against the rules. But for the most part, if someone needs to go somewhere for a minute, they'll tell someone to whom it is relevent (like, a cashier needs to run to the rest room, they'll tell another cashier so they can expect more customers, and to call over people going to the empty register).

Not really a lot of competition... probably because there's really no room for advacement.
                        "For the love of all that is holy and 4 things that aren’t but feel pretty good anyway" ~ Gravekeeper

Comment

Lesson the first. Safe is a state of mind. Always guard your jewels.

Lesson the second. If someone hits your junk, beat the snot out of him. Politely though.
                          Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Yes sometimes women shouldn't work together; actually alot of the time depending on where it is. I love my co workers most of the time, but I only tend to get pissed off with the ones who are around my age in my dept. I'd much rather have the nights guys, my male manager or my female supervisor (who's older than my other female co workers and just awesome).

Each time I say I'd like to work I night shift I happen upon your posts Khiras and I change my mind.
                            "So you think they named this ship the "Chimera" because there's a monster on board?" Tony DiNozzo

"They did not name it the puppy" Ziva David - NCIS, Chimera

Comment

Quoth KhirasHY View Post
                              No one ever calls me while I'm awake.
                              well if I had your number I'd call when you're awake
                              If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Working...
                              X