This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reminds me when...

About 25 years ago a friend and I were going to McDonalds and there was a young woman behind us, my friend opened the door and stood back to let her through. She looked at us and then used the other door. My friend turned to me and said "Chivalry is dead, but not through lack of trying."
    "The most likely way for the world to be destroyed, most experts agree, is by accident. That's where we come in; we're computer professionals. We cause accidents."
    - Nathaniel Borenstein

Comment

"I didn't hold the door for you. I did it because if my mother heard that I hadn't I'd get my ass kicked. "

My son said that to someone one day. I was already in the store and he held the door for someone else who made a similar comment to the OP's person.

Comment

My 5 year old daughter loves holding the door open for people, mainly at the post office cause she opens it for me so I can get the pram through and then holds it open for whoever is behind me.

I have noticed that alot of the older generation will thank her and say what a good girl she is, but some of the middle age and younger people tend to just walk out without acknowledging her and even glare at her sometimes as if she's being a pain in the butt.

She's a sweet little girl who loves to be helpful and she knows it's polite to hold the door for people.
        I am but a tiny, barren, insignificant rock caught in the glorious orbit of your shining sun. Gravekeeper.

Comment

I'm one of those that trys to hold the door open for anyone coming through after me. It still amazes me how many people treat it like it's my duty to do it for them instead of a kindness.
          "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
            "I do not hold the door because you are a lady, but because I am a gentleman."
            That is why I hold the door open. That is how I was taught

Quoth Sheldonrs View Post
            I'm one of those that trys to hold the door open for anyone coming through after me. It still amazes me how many people treat it like it's my duty to do it for them instead of a kindness.
            Exactly. We should hold the door open & as they are walking in/out. Give them an invoice for the work you just did....since they think of it as a duty.
            Last edited by powerboy; 11-17-2008, 10:00 PM.
            Under The Moon Paranormal Research
            San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

Quoth Supermarket Slave Girl View Post
              ..................so I can get the pram through..................

We eat ham and jam and spam a lot.................

I have to push the pram a lot.................................

I know nothing and I can prove it!

Comment

I don't mind at all if someone holds the door for me. I'll hold it for the next person if I'm there first. Just good manners, only takes a few seconds even if the next ten people decide to push through.

I come from that era when men were _supposed_ to hold doors for women, bring the car to the front door for her, help with her chair, etc. I never felt that it was because they thought I was helpless, but that I was being honored and respected. I always say "thank you," even at home. Whether you do it or not, it's up to you and no harm no foul either way. I don't require it, and I don't stand there waiting for it.

I'm still a little sad if someone holds a door for me and they're surprised when I smile and say "thank you." Appreciating a favor shouldn't be that unusual.

Comment

sorry 'bout you chip-on-the-shoulder woman JCG.

While we're on the subject, let me ask you folks about restaurants.
                  If someone holds the door for me or my wife and me at a restaurant, I stand to one side once inside so they can be seated first. Seems common sense to me - they were there first, why should they get waited on later just for offering a common courtesy? But the only people I've ever had do this in reverse were the elderly. So is it out of fashion, or just not thought about or what?

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post
                    So is it out of fashion, or just not thought about or what?
                    They probably don't think about it. It's probably a case of they just cruise by, on auto-pilot just keep going.
                    Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post
                      sorry 'bout you chip-on-the-shoulder woman JCG.
                      Thanks. I'm over it though.

Quoth sms001 View Post
                      While we're on the subject, let me ask you folks about restaurants.
                      If someone holds the door for me or my wife and me at a restaurant, I stand to one side once inside so they can be seated first. Seems common sense to me - they were there first, why should they get waited on later just for offering a common courtesy? But the only people I've ever had do this in reverse were the elderly. So is it out of fashion, or just not thought about or what?
                      If someone holds it for me, I tend to let them go first, but if I hold it for someone else and they don't let me go ahead, I don't hold it against them.
                      I know nothing and I can prove it!

Comment

Quoth Sheldonrs View Post
                        It is.

It is our duty to be respectful of each other. It is our duty as fine upstanding members of society to be polite, to hold doors open, to acknowledge others.

Much as it is my duty to smile and say "thank you" when you hold the door for me. I see it as a duty from any person first at the door to hold it for whoever's right behind them. It's a duty to acknowledge it with thanks, too.

A kindness is when you do something unexpected or 'above and beyond' for someone else.

Comment

I had that happen once. I sad fine if you want to open the door, be by guest and pulled it shut behind me.

Comment

I was almost through a door once, I had opened it & proceeded to go through and a guy came out of no where, about my age, and literally shoved me out of the way to get through the door before me. I was nice then, but sooo confused. I also secretly wanted to light him on fire.

There is nothing better then offering respect and manners. I agree, it has nothing to do with women being unable to do something themselves. I think the U.S. is lacking in manners and this has contributed to the downfall of society.
                            When it comes to getting things done, we need fewer architects and more bricklayers. ---Colleen C. Barrett---

Comment

Quoth Jadedcarguy View Post
                              My response?

"I could have let it slam in your face but I'm nicer than that."
                              Are you located in South Florida? The reason I ask is because people like this normally don't have a rebuttal when you insult them back. Good going, but I was hoping she would have replied to you on that one.

Comment

I have seen a lot of people see my cane and hold the door open for me. I always thank them, because I don't expect people to do it for me. It's mostly men who do it.

However, I was holding a heavy door open at work, while trying to walk in and one of the bosses just walked right by me, like it was my job to hold the door open for her. I still yelled behind her "YOU'RE WELCOME!" I guess she was too busy on her cell phone to see me struggling with the door, while trying to not drop my cane.

I didn't hear a word about it from BossMan, so she either didn't complain about my attitude or he asked her if she missed seeing the cane I use.

Newsflash to all assholes! I am not paid to hold the door open for people, especially in places I don't work, so a "thank you" would be appreciated. I will try to humiliate you by yelling loudly "YOU'RE WELCOME!" if you just breeze by me like it's my damn job to hold the door open for you.

Also, why is it that it's almost always women that act like it's my job to hold the door open for them and not once say "thank you"?

Sorry guys, this is a huge pet peeve of mine.
                                Do not annoy the woman with the flamethrower!

If you don't like it, I believe you can go to hell! ~Trinity from The Matrix

Yes, MadMike does live under my couch.

Comment

Working...
                                X