Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You Lost It and You Want A New One For Free??

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You Lost It and You Want A New One For Free??

Ok I work for a computer tech support company, I work the phones handling some issues over the phone and others I take a more physical role in fixing if local. Well todays winner on the phone called in saying that he lost his os cd for XP. That's nice, we'll get ya to sales and you can buy a new one. Customer got pissy about this, no biggie, but he went on about why we need to send him one. He downloaded a copy of Windows Vista to his system and hosed it quite nicely. System needed to be reloaded with xp, goober didnt delete squat off the hard drive and now the system is really screwed. Finally he gets a copy of XPHome...from his Dell Laptop. But he expects it to load the drivers from os cd...that usually doesn't happen, particularly for a cd not with its proper system. Still wants us to send him a free xp disk(they aint free for us, you loose it, it aint free for you). Finally after explaining even my managers said no, he still wanted to argue, forget that, his butt gets transferred to sales.
    I love my customers to death, the problem is they aren't dying quick enough.

I get that call a couple of times a week. At least today's guy didn't argue with me.

It's very silly. If you lost a $600 piece of jewelry, you wouldn't call the manufacturer, assure them you bought something they made six years ago (even though you have no proof) and demand they replace it. It's the same principle

With software you can do a lot of things that you can't do with jewelry. You can register it so the manufacturer has a record of what you bought and when; they can look up your serial number. Replacing it might not be free, but it's probably much cheaper than buying a brand new copy. You can buy a set of media and keep it in a safe place. Or you can make copies of the media for personal backups (if the company allows it; ours encourages people to do this) and keep them in several places. Write down your keys and license numbers and keep copies in several locations. Keep your receipts.

And make sure you have the means to re-install what you have BEFORE downloading a beta version over it.

If it's something you paid a lot of money for, you need to take good care of it and keep it safe. Why is that so hard?
    Last edited by Dips; 10-13-2006, 09:12 PM.
    The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Comment

because it generally requires at the very least common sense that god gave a lemming
      I love my customers to death, the problem is they aren't dying quick enough.

Comment

Quoth Dips View Post
        If it's something you paid a lot of money for, you need to take good care of it and keep it safe. Why is that so hard?
        Because if it makes sense, it's not allowed.
        Unseen but seeing
        oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
        There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
        3rd shift needs love, too
        RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Reminds me of the no less than three phone calls I had on my last shift with people wanting me to replace their broken product that is well past the return date and they refused to buy the extended warranty at the time of purchase. All three times I told them they had to contact the manufacturer which of course was met by the so well expected "you guys need to stand behind your product." Well duh you refused to buy the warranty that would allow us to do that. Its past the return period by a LONG shot. How is that my fault now?
          New England Patirots... FIVE TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPS!
          New England Revolution... Will win MLS Cup one day.

Comment

And this is why I always, always, ALWAYS have a REAL Windows install disk, not just some POS from a manufacturer. And I always make certain to keep excellent track of it.

-Cvstos, running Windows Vista RC2.

Comment

Quoth Cvstos View Post
              And this is why I always, always, ALWAYS have a REAL Windows install disk, not just some POS from a manufacturer. And I always make certain to keep excellent track of it.

-Cvstos, running Windows Vista RC2.
              Some computer manufacturers are doing away w/the restoration CD's apparently.

My Dell Inspiron has the restoration CD's built into the computer. I don't have CD's - I just use Fn-F11 to reinstall to factory settings.

Personally, I feel much better having a restoration CD. I mean, what if the HDD has to be replaced and everything needs to be reinstalled?

Talk about not thinking things through . . . Dude, what were they smoking?
              Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth Dips View Post
                I get that call a couple of times a week. At least today's guy didn't argue with me.

It's very silly. If you lost a $600 piece of jewelry, you wouldn't call the manufacturer, assure them you bought something they made six years ago (even though you have no proof) and demand they replace it. It's the same principle
                It's not really the same at all.

A piece of jewelery is a physical item. Each one sold is one less that the vendor has to sell to someone else. With software they can run off as many copies they think they can sell for an insignificant portion of the retail price.

Software companies are always trying to sneak in the claim that you are only buying a license to use the software and that you don't actually own your copy. I don't know how enforcable these are.

Anyway, if that is the case it isn't unreasonable to expect replacement media for the software you have paid for at a reasonable price.

I'd bet that your company would be the first to pitch a fit in he downloaded a copy of software he already had a license for.
                Proud to be a Walmart virgin.

Comment

you make a good point, mark, but if you buy a shelving unit and have to put it together, but 6 months down the road need to put a screw back in are you going to call the manufacturer and demand a new screwdriver because it came with one but you lost it??
                  he should at least expect to pay for a new CD if he has the licence but lost the recovery disc, this is why you keep these things in a safe place just like your spare tire. the tire metaphor is kinda funny, though, since some people using computers wouldn't know how to re-load if they did remember where their disc was
                  "Ride the spiral to the end, it may just go where no one's been. Spiral out, keep going..." -Lateralus

Comment

Quoth Mark Healey View Post
                    Software companies are always trying to sneak in the claim that you are only buying a license to use the software and that you don't actually own your copy. I don't know how enforcable these are.
                    It isn't in the UK. Companies still try this with pre-loaded Windows from time to time, but it doesn't take too many words to get them to cough up the restoration disks to which you are entitled under European law.

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth Mark Healey View Post
                      I'd bet that your company would be the first to pitch a fit in he downloaded a copy of software he already had a license for.
                      Huh? I don't understand what you're getting at. If a customer buys something, doesn't keep any proof he bought it and loses it, it's gone. Just like a car or jewlery. Unlike a car or jewelry, though, the customer CAN make backup copies of software.

We, as a company, WANT our customers to be able to re-install their licenses. We encourage them to make personal backup copies of their disks and keep careful records of their license numbers and keys. We don't replace media for ancient versions, but if a legally licensed customer gets his hands on it from another source (such as a friend who has the same version), he's welcome to use it with our blessings. Or he can buy the latest version from us for the update price.

If they keep track of their serial number or at least get registered, we can help them. If they lose it and can't demonstrate that they ever owned it legally, then they are just as stuck as someone who loses a piece of jewelry. I don't see how that's unfair or unreasonable.
                      Last edited by Dips; 10-16-2006, 08:52 PM.
                      The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Comment

I get this a lot from customers past and present.

SC: I lost my gift card, I don't know where or when it was bought, I don't have a receipt for it, I don't know the GC number - but I want it replaced now!

SC: My kid lost the toy they just bought - can you replace it?

SC: My dog chewed up the book I bought to shreds - I want a new one.

I could go on & on...

Nowhere do I see on the return policy of any place I have worked the statement: We'll replace it for free if you lose it!
                        If you are thinking to yourself, "Hmmm, should I post this?" it should probably go HERE.

Comment

Quoth dispatch View Post
                          you make a good point, mark, but if you buy a shelving unit and have to put it together, but 6 months down the road need to put a screw back in are you going to call the manufacturer and demand a new screwdriver because it came with one but you lost it??
                          Not at all. A screwdriver is a pretty generic item. One of the same type from any manufacturer will do. If it was some proprietary fitting that required a special tool from the shelving manufacturer, then, yes I would expect to be able to buy a new one at a reasonable price.

Quoth dispatch View Post
                          he should at least expect to pay for a new CD if he has the licence but lost the recovery disc,
                          A media replacement fee is reasonable, And if he doesn't have proof of license tough noogies too.

Of course this is all avoidable if you just use free software.
                          Proud to be a Walmart virgin.

Comment

Working...
                          X