Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am exactly the WRONG person to try that lie with.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am exactly the WRONG person to try that lie with.

Happened about a half hour ago.

Major players:
    Me
    SCM: Sucky Customer Male
    SCF: Sucky Customer Female (as if you couldn't figure that one out already)

SCF walks up to the counter requesting a smoking room.
    SCF: Hey you used to work at Motel 6 didn't you?
    Me: Yes I did a long time ago. (And only for 3 weeks before I got a better job)

This is when my first red light goes on. I get customers on a regular basis who confuse the hotel I currently work at for Motel 6. Ours faces the street, while Motel 6 is hidden in back of us. Obviously these people know the difference and chose the higher price even though they looked and smelled like they would have preferred the lower price between the 2 hotels. Furthermore, they've been to Motel 6 before or else they wouldn't have been able to recognize me. Thank you, current boss for interviewing me and then calling me the next day to liberate me from that hellhole of a job.

I ask SCM all his information which he provides.
    Me: May I see your ID and a credit card?
    SCM hands over an expired ID which is in terrible shape.
    Me: I'm afraid I can't accept it. It's expired.
    SCM: This is all I have. I can't renew my DL because I lost most of my vision and I can no longer drive.

LMAO! This sob story, while it may be true, a pathetic excuse. I'll reveal the twist later.

Me: I'm sorry, but I have to have a current ID
    SCM: But other places have accepted it.
    Me: I'm sorry, but I still can't accept it.
    SCM: Can I give you a Social Security card?
    Me: I need to have a picture ID
    SCF: But that's the only ID he has and he can't get another ID because he can no longer drive

Rule of increasing returns applies here. This is even funnier the second time they say it.

Me: I understand, but you don't need to be able to drive to have an ID.

After this they left. My boss and I shared a good laugh. Even though he's always pushing for more reservations, even he didn't want that sale. We suspected foulplay.

What made this so darn funny is that I, like the SCM cannot drive because of impaired vision. But unlike SCM, I have a current ID. Imagine that!
    To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

off topic
    but for the election me and my sister went to gether because she doesnt drive, it rather terrifies her and she doesnt trust me to teach her. She has an ID card instead. the lady who checked our ID almost wouldnt let her vote because "this dont look real, it doesnt have an experition date" another lady looked over and said "Its a state issued ID card it doesnt expire, it just needs updating"

Comment

Thats odd Slice, b/c my state issed ID DOES have an expiration...It must vary by state maybe.

Comment

non-driver ID is what they call it in NY

besides... you're exactly right. loss of vision does not prevent people from getting ID cards. Hell... if that was true, then blind people would be SOL for anything that requires an ID.

the stupid is strong in that one

Comment

Yeah each state varies. Funny thing is I used to live in AZ and my Driver's license didn't expire until 2049! Out there DL's don't expire until you are sixty five. But where I live now they expire in like four years.

Some AZ ID's don't have an expire date either. Though I have seen some that expire. I think those are based on age or something, no idea.

I saw one ID that said vaild in (enter state cuz I don't remember) without picture ID. We took it because he had his old one that was expired but I thought it was weird to have an ID with no picture, kind of defeats the purpose to me.

But yeah, I would have told the guy NO too.

I had something similar. I had one guy who got pissed at me because I carded his girlfriend.
          SC: Some people just can't drive!
          Me: That's what state Issued ID's are for.

Which I am sure I was nicer but yeah that dude that you got smelled like a scammer.

Comment

yeah... I've never understood why people freak out about not having drivers licenses and how that means they can't have ID... I've had a state issued ID sense I was 13... I've known some people who have had IDs sense they were 6. And know quite a few people who are well past driving age who don't know how to drive who still have IDs... yeah, that wouldn't have worked with me either.
            If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

I don't drive and I have a CA state ID. That guy was either amazingly stupid, or a scammer, or both.
              1129. I will refrain from casting Dimension Jump and Magnificent Mansion on every police box we pass.
              -----
              http://orchidcolors.livejournal.com (A blog about everything and nothing)

Comment

If all else fails, you can get a passport. I used that for ID even before I moved out of Britain. Now that I live in Finland, it's by far the easiest way of providing photo ID - and will be unless/until I get off my arse and get back into driving lessons.

I actually still have a "provisional" driver's licence from Britain - it is used as a learner's permit, but isn't valid in Finland - but very few places will accept it. If for some reason I'm caught without my passport, I'll give it a try, but I'm not hugely surprised if it doesn't work.

Comment

7 years later, I am still giggling that MO licenses you to not drive.

Comment

Quoth Anakah View Post
                    Yeah each state varies. Funny thing is I used to live in AZ and my Driver's license didn't expire until 2049! Out there DL's don't expire until you are sixty five. But where I live now they expire in like four years.

Some AZ ID's don't have an expire date either. Though I have seen some that expire. I think those are based on age or something, no idea.
                    and considering i live in AZ that means i experience the same thing

Comment

Quoth Amina516 View Post
                      Thats odd Slice, b/c my state issed ID DOES have an expiration...It must vary by state maybe.
                      It does. In Illinois the ID is valid for 5 years.

Quoth smileyeagle1021 View Post
                      yeah... I've never understood why people freak out about not having drivers licenses and how that means they can't have ID... I've had a state issued ID sense I was 13... I've known some people who have had IDs sense they were 6. And know quite a few people who are well past driving age who don't know how to drive who still have IDs... yeah, that wouldn't have worked with me either.
                      A bank teller admitted to me that even they confuse ID's and DL's--the format is so similar. Also my college girl friend got an ID rather than a DL so that she could write checks off campus (those merchant's wouldn't accept a student ID).

Quoth Chromatix View Post
                      If all else fails, you can get a passport. I used that for ID even before I moved out of Britain. Now that I live in Finland, it's by far the easiest way of providing photo ID...
                      Here is the States, that is the closest thing that exists to a federal ID. I too used that for ID more than once.
                      I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                      -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Yeah, states vary for their expiration time.

Also: I find it funny was his first line to you. I'm assuming he checked in at the last hotel you worked at, and you checked his ID there too. It must have been fine, and expired since then. So he lost most of his vision between then. Yet, you, are burned into his mind since he recognized you right away with his lost of vision.
                        Military Spouse Support.
                        http://www.customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=45
                        Plaidman's Minions: Telecom_Goddess: Dungeon Minion

Comment

Quoth Chromatix View Post
                          If all else fails, you can get a passport. I used that for ID even before I moved out of Britain. Now that I live in Finland, it's by far the easiest way of providing photo ID - and will be unless/until I get off my arse and get back into driving lessons.

I actually still have a "provisional" driver's licence from Britain - it is used as a learner's permit, but isn't valid in Finland - but very few places will accept it. If for some reason I'm caught without my passport, I'll give it a try, but I'm not hugely surprised if it doesn't work.
                          Sadly, passports here are so uncommon as to be baffling when used as a form of ID.

For instance, applying for a job required both proof of ID and proof of legal ability to work. A passport does both at the same time, otherwise you'd need two documents to prove this.

Nearly every time I've ever applied for a job, the person doesn't even know what to do with the passport.

Traveling is good for people. Travel to another part of the world, see what people live like over there. Its good to be exposed to new things!

Comment

Quoth Anakah View Post
                            I saw one ID that said vaild in (enter state cuz I don't remember) without picture ID. We took it because he had his old one that was expired but I thought it was weird to have an ID with no picture, kind of defeats the purpose to me.
                            New Jersey used to let you get a license with no pic, but only if you were over 21 (and since driving age is 17, that means your first license has to have a pic, but when you renewed you could do it by mail. It was nice when I had to renew my license when I was in college; I didn't have to go to the DMV over fall break (not so great for going to bars when you look like you're 15, though ). They have revamped the license since then, and added all kinds of security features, and you can no longer get it without a pic.

And now if you're under 21 the license is printed down the long side of the card (so you have to turn it 90 degrees). You don't even have to read it to know the person is under 21.
                            Last edited by BookstoreEscapee; 11-22-2008, 02:20 AM.
                            I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                            I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                            It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Working...
                            X