This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World's youngest shoplifter?

This woman with three kids came in and bought some assorted chocolate bars. After she paid, the youngest kid (around 4 years old) grabbed a DVD case and ran to the door. His mother caught up with him, grabbed the DVD case, hit him with it and said "Stealing is bad", and dumped the case on a nearby shelf. Then ushered the kids back to the car, while mumbling something about never buying them chocolate again.

(I've got mixed feelings about her reaction, it's great to teach kids that stealing is wrong but was hitting him the way to do it? Part of me says the hit was OK since he didn't cry or anything, another part says hitting anyone is wrong unless they hit you first.)

BTW, the DVD was <i>Bride of Chucky</i> and it was just the case, we keep the actual DVDs behind the counter.

I think hitting children is ok. Not hurt them, obviously. But they don't really understand logic and reason.
    http://www.deezer.com/#music/album/100130
    Melody Gardot

Comment

Pain helps the learning process.

Two personal experiences from when I was young...

I was 8. Told not to touch a stovetop coil because it was hot, and I wanted to touch it anyway. Learned from having a blister on my hand for two weeks.

And when I was around 10 or so, I was being a brat and mouthing off at my mom since I didn't want to clean my room. Thought she was out of viewing range and flipped her off. I learned not to do that again, by the really resounding slap across the face.

So, I guess in my opinion, I'm all for discipline involving physical action. As long as it doesn't go too far.

*peers at self* I'm rambling and probably delving into debate-ish areas, so I'll stop. But thought I'd throw in three or four cents.

(Again, posting when I've not slept yet. )
      Confirmed altoholic.

Comment

I don't think this is the place for arguing about hitting children.

Small children trying to steal is very common. They don't even understand it's stealing, they don't know about money, they just see shiny things.

My baby sister would always try and grab boxes of Celebrations chocolates - we'd field her and take them away and say she couldn't have any that day. Mind you she also would walk down the road trying the handles of all the cars she walked past...

No current criminal tendancies (aged 8) - though still learning the value of money. I had a problem with my bank account and ended up giving my father a large amount of cash in return for a cheque I could post to my landlord. She saw this and got all big eyed and started saying "Because if you don't need that money that would be enough for a DS".

I pointed out that I did need the money to keep a roof over my head and Pan's (my kitty) head. She thought hard and asked "Does Pan like the rain ?", When I said no she looked so sad

Victoria J

Comment

My mom woulda smucked me, yes.

I would not be torn over it at all. -.-

Comment

I saw this thread earlier, before there were any responses, and I meant to comment, but got distracted.

Now I wish I had posted.

Do NOT turn this thread into a debate/discussion about child spanking and discipline.

It will be closed if there are any more posts along that line.

Also, a reminder that the report button comes in very handy.
            Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

Hey, the Mom did something! And she told the child stealing was bad!

The normal situation is this:
              - Child takes something
              - Employee says something
              - Mother flies of the handle, says stuff like, "How dare you tell me how to raise my child, blah blah blah."
              Excuse me, good sir paladin, can you direct me to your EVIL district?

http://www.dywhcomic.com

Comment

It would have been nice if she had given the case back to you, but then it sounds like she had her hands full. Hopefully they had a little discussion when they got home.
                I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

At least she disciplined the child.
                  "For the love of all that is holy and 4 things that aren’t but feel pretty good anyway" ~ Gravekeeper

Comment

The Mom may have been mortified and just did the first thing that came to mind. You can raise your kids the right way and teach them all the right things, and they still may do the wrong thing.
                    For civilized discussion about broadcasting, media and sports along with fun games to play, visit:
                    http://atriumforum.com/
                    Emphasis on Michigan area broadcasting, but ANYONE is welcome!

Comment

There is a differance between disipline and violence. The woman did the right thing. No more need be said. (I promised I'd be good so nothing else will be said)

Comment

You only hit kids to tenderize the meat.

I seem to remember when I was that age getting overexcited and running out of the store with something in my hands, although I did realise it and come back, at least mum did something about it.
                        If I dropped everybody who occasionally said something stupid from my list of potential partners, I wouldn’t even be able to masturbate

Comment

Quoth Crazeyal View Post
                          There is a differance between disipline and violence. The woman did the right thing. No more need be said. (I promised I'd be good so nothing else will be said)
                          This case was definitely on the discipline side, it didn't seem to hurt the kid. I told a co-worker about it and she said she did the same when her 6-year-old son tried to steal a plastic number from a craft store. (and she's very much against violence towards kids and other poor parenting, she gets absolutely livid when people let their kids run around in the parking area where they could get hit by a truck)

Comment

Jo "Supernanny" Frost might not approve, but at least there was some discipline. I hope that mom followed though and made sure there were consequences--then the kids won't be SC's later down the road.
                            I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                            -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

I've been known to drive all the way across town to go BACK to a store after I discovered (once I got home) that one of my kids had taken something. My son is particularly bad for this (and he's the older one), and I have to constantly keep an eye on him.

Edited to add that the purpose of driving all the way back to the store is so that my son can be forced to apologize to the service desk for shoplifting and return the item. I don't return it myself... he took it, he can take the humiliation too.
                              GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

Working...
                              X