X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• odd night at the hotel

So at 1148 I had a guy come in looking for a room:

Me: Hello!
    SC: Yeah, I need a room. I am only staying half a night, so cheapest room ya got.
    Me: Okay (I hate the "only staying half a night" as if that means nothing will be used) Well....our rates are usually 124+tax, but at this time of tonight I can lower the rate to 89+tax.
    SC: I am only gonna be here half a night!
    Me: Well, we do serve breakfast everyday...
    SC: I won't be eating the breakfast!
    Me: (mouth filter off) Well, I don't know if you won't eat the breakfast for sure or not.
    SC: I will sign a wavier garanteeing I won't eat the breakfast.
    Me: Well, sorry it's the only rate I can do.
    SC: You guys are expensive! I should at least get something more like 60 or something. I have never stayed at *this* hotel for more then that.
    Me: We have NEVER had rates that low, ever. We are an upper 3 star hotel so I don't know what to tell you from there...
    SC: *hands credit card* Well, I just don't see why I should pay that when I am only staying half a night.
    Me: (sick of this banter) Well, I am not forcing you to stay here. That is the best I can do. I don't set the rates, so there isn't much I can do.
    SC: Well, you could give me a deal. I have triple A.
    Me: Triple A will be higher because the system takes it off the base-rate.
    SC: *stares at me*
    Me: *I proceed to get info & check him in, leaving a note on his file if he bitches* (I think I remember this guy...he MAY have stayed here before & last time he stayed be bitched at checkin about the rate with the earlier shift & then bitched about the dumbest crap so he got all his money back the next day.)

==========================================
    Okay. Unlike most all hotels, we rent to local area people. Tonight is an example as to why this is unwise.

When I just got on shift, this really odd guy using a cane literally wandered around the lobby not really looking for anything but more just looking crazy. He came up to the desk, not making eye contact & seemed to glace at the clock. I greeted him, and he responded strangely. He said something like, "uhh Thank you hello," and wandered back into the lobby. He came back, grabbed an old USA today from the desk He didn't really care to notice me. He seemed in his own little world. Luckily my night security guy was standing at the desk at the time & we both gave eachother this, "WTF This guy is acting strange" look.

Well, at 11pm someone from a room called 911. Our phone system allerts us of this & what room it is coming from. I looked up the room, checked to see if they were still on the line (yes), and pulled up the guest file. Local address. Weird. My security guy was almost back from a shuttle pickup, so I waited for a second before I tried to figure out if the room needed help & if we could provide it. They were on the 911 call for while and I really thought I would see an ambulance at any moment. The second he got back, I sent him to the room & told him to contact me if he needed help. (We have basic firstaid training & I just finished being recertified in CPR last week)

This is where things get, um, odd. Security comes back to the desk & has a strange look of concern on his face. He said when he knocked someone on the inside locked both the door & the deadbolt & did not respond to his indenity. Nothing. So I give the room a call. I didn't know what else to try.

SC: uh hello... (sounds a bit sickly)
    Me: Hi, this is the front desk and we recived notification that 911 was called from this room. Do you need assistance???
    SC: uh...no (sounds confused) I called the cops.
    Me: Is there a medical emergency?
    SC: No. I called the cops. I don't want anyone coming into the room.
    Me: (what, did you kill a hooker???) Uh okay. If you need help let us know.
    SC: I heard a rapping on my door not too long ago.
    Me: Yes, that was my security guy seeing if there was something we could do.
    SC: Oh no. I already called the police.
    Me: Okay.

I hung up the phone, tried our allusive GM, so I called our Director of Sales & let him know what is going on, well what little I knew. He said to call him after the cops find out.

Okay...so no cops appear at all. This same room calls at about 1135pm.
    SC: Hi, my tv says I have to call you. I am trying to order a movie.
    Me: (okay...is the hooker fully dead now??? what the hell?) Let met pull up your file. Okay since the room was a cash deposit, we need another deposit for the movie.
    SC: *starts laughing creepily* Okay *laughs* *hangs up*

I really didn't expect him to show...

Not realizing it was weird wandering guy from ealier until he came to the desk...
    SC: *tosses cash at me* That is my deposit.
    Me: *needing to confirm* For room ### then?
    SC: yeah *starts walking away*
    Me: Do you want your penny back, (gave me $15) because I assume the movie is 14.99?
    SC: *laughs* uh no *takes off*

It is now 1215am, no cops.

This thing is weird... I will update if there is updating.

Update
    At 1248am, the police department called & asked me to verify this guy's name, which I did. They said he had asked them to call him back. ??? Was this even something that merits a 911 call??

125am, he is still wandering around. Manages to lock his key in his room at one point.

weird.

Also, I have this lady in the lobby. She is nice & all but initially she came up to the desk & started speaking with me like we had already been in a conversation. Referred to me as Tanya (NOT my name), and then realized her folly later in the convo. We have no Tanya's even that work at the hotel. She went on & on about her brother making a ditry joke she thought was just wrong, also something about someone in the hospital, and also that she is attempting to finish some kind of gift for said person in hospital. She is nice, but I am confused.
    Last edited by thehippie777; 11-24-2008, 09:11 AM.
    When it comes to getting things done, we need fewer architects and more bricklayers. ---Colleen C. Barrett---

Wow... we should call EQ and find out how her day was... this is just a strange night for all us hotel workers it seems like.
    If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Quoth smileyeagle1021 View Post
      Wow... we should call EQ and find out how her day was... this is just a strange night for all us hotel workers it seems like.
      Hmm... Nothing strange here, except for a guest with an unusual last name.

SC
      "...four of his five wits went halting off, and now is the whole man governed with one..." W. Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing Act I, Sc I

Do you like Shakespeare? Join us The Globe Theater!

Comment

Quoth BroSCFischer View Post
        Hmm... Nothing strange here, except for a guest with an unusual last name.

SC
        Bro, you do realize you just jinxed yourself... right
        If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

ha! No! The night is almost over. Plus, I have had enough SC's for all of us lately.
          When it comes to getting things done, we need fewer architects and more bricklayers. ---Colleen C. Barrett---

Comment

I had a weird one at my hotel at about 3:30 Sunday morning. We have ghost stories about our place and this girl came in at #:30 am and wanted to know about the ghost stories and see the rooms. WTF? ? ? ? At 3:30 am everyone but me was sleeping.

Comment

Scam meter goes BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Be on your toes!

One is distracting and frustrating you. The other will pull some stunt while you're distracted.

Even if I'm wrong this time, it can and will happen.
              Suckiness is reinforced up OR down at every transaction. Accepting BS makes them worse for all of us; firm fairness trains them to suck less.

Comment

Quoth Automan Empire View Post
                Be on your toes!

One is distracting and frustrating you. The other will pull some stunt while you're distracted.

Even if I'm wrong this time, it can and will happen.
                I am so on top of things. The other Auditor thinks I am paranoid when something seems fishy, and then realizes later that I am right about 80% of the time when it comes to suspicious happenings. If he had trained with the lady I started with here...well I doubt he would have lasted cuz she was a Hitler but other then that she knew a great deal of things since she had about 12 years ahead of me in working hotels at the time.

Comment

Quoth thehippie777 View Post
                  ==========================================
                  Okay. Unlike most all hotels, we rent to local area people.
                  Most hotels won't rent to locals? I've never heard of that. Almost every town I've lived in, I've stayed in a hotel for some reason or another.
                  "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

Quoth friendofjimmyk View Post
                    Most hotels won't rent to locals? I've never heard of that. Almost every town I've lived in, I've stayed in a hotel for some reason or another.
                    The issue arises from "once bitten..." syndrome. Locals stay in the hotel for the express purpose of having a wild time they don't have to clean up after, or to do illegal things they don't want near their home. This then makes it easier to do a blanket policy of "no locals" than to try and figure out who's having their place fumigated, and who's looking for a quick roll with a hooker.
                    Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Now wait a minute.

Yes, that is one reason for a local to get a hotel room. There are many others. Just off the top of my head, some non-destructive reasons for a local to get a hotel room:

--Home is getting fumigated/worked on.
                      --Relatives in town, allowing them to use the home while the local takes the hotel.
                      --Romantic night out on the town away from kids/relatives.
                      --A clandestine affair. You may not approve, but this IS a non-destructive purpose.
                      --Argument with the spouse/significant other, resulting in leaving/getting thrown out.
                      --Closer to somewhere person has to be in the morning.
                      --Wedding of a friend near the hotel, prevents them from drinking and driving.
                      --Home was flooded/damaged/caught on fire.
                      --Old lease ran out, new lease not started yet. In other words, between residences.
                      --Just want to get away from your life, and relax for a night or two, without the expense of going all the way to another town/vacation.

And those are just the ones off the top of MY pointy little head. I am sure there are far, far more valid ones.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                      Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                        --Just want to get away from your life, and relax for a night or two, without the expense of going all the way to another town/vacation.
                        You forgot!

--To utilize the cable TV!

And (this one is really weird)
                        --For a bath...

The place my husband and I were living in didn't have a bathtub (it had a shower though). And baths are soooooo nice and of course, to have an evening of cable TV
                        This area is left blank for a reason.

Comment

Our hotel we allow locals as long as they have a credit card and we photocopy there drivers license and get plate #. Of course sometimes as others have mentioned something seems fishy so I just tell them I am full....my job is to protect the hotel and my guests(not to sound to serious! lol), but utimately its up to me.

The other night I had a guy say he was cop in another city and because he rented a room he has use of the whole hotel. He was basically using the whole hotel/halls as his hang out-party-drinking place. Security came later and said to him, well we can bring the local cops in if you want, that shut him up. BTW they confirmed he was a cop in another city...and lets just say he would not have been happy if we called the cops.

I have only been there a few months so I am sure I will have more stories!

Comment

Yeah we rent to locals because, simply put: we want their money, hell anyone's money. It has backfired only a couple times, and those times the other people don't really have a sense as to if someone might be an issue or not. Most people who are local that we get are simply getting a night out from the family or their house has an issue.

We try not to accept a person who is from an angry couple. That could cause serious problems for other guests and legally for us.

This guy did leave, late, but he did leave. Man was he odd! lol

Comment

Quoth friendofjimmyk View Post
                              We will rent to locals, but not indiscriminately. A couple wants to rent a room for their anniversary, or someone's having house trouble (flood, fire, power outage) are a couple of examples. But 5 nineteen year old thugs stoned out of their minds, slapping about $2000 in ones on the desk.....no, sorry. Unlike a lot of hotels, who don't want the publicity, we have no qualms about calling cops on anyone for noise, drug use, anything. We make them sign waivers at check in to these policies. The dirtbags are usually good at word of mouth, so weirdos, crackheads and party mongers are a rare occurrence for us.

Comment

Working...
                              X