This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happy Wii-Giving

Today is Thanksgiving in Americalandialand. How do folks celebrate it in my city?

Do they get together with friends and family? NO.
    Do they have a nice dinner of turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, green bean casserole and cranberry sauce in the shape of a can? NO.
    Do they watch the Detroit Lions lose their 752,495th consecutive football game? NO.

What do they do? They get up at oh-dark-thirty, drive over to my store, and stand outside turning their bits to dry ice, waiting to purchase a Nintendo Wii because our ad guarantees 18 Wiis per store at opening today.

And today's crowd of Wii-wishers turned out to be, well, Wii-tards.

As I was heading out the door to leave, these two guys were all like "GREAT! We're good to go!" and started for the door and tried to push past me, until I threw my arm out to block them. Sorry Spanky, one more hour to go!

Another lady asked me "Excuse me, is this the line for Wiis?" Well let's see here, there is only one line of people at the door, and everybody in it is excitedly discussing what games they're going to want with their Wiis. So yes, it probably is the line for Wiis.

Then as I was getting in my car, some other lady came charging out of a minivan and hollered at me "Am I going to be able to get a Wii?" Well, there are 18 Wiis in the store available for purchase, and a quick survey of the masses huddled by the entrance seems to indicate slightly more than 18 masses huddling. So you do the math here.

Today we're also running a special where the first 200 customers to make a purchase of at least $25 get a free pumpkin pie, so those 18 Wii customers will take care of 18 pies right there. Not that these pies are anything to scream about--they're the same piddly little pies the grocery store across the street sells for 8 bucks when it only cost them about 3 bucks apiece to make them, and they're basically an appetizer for me.

Plus they're all going to get hot coffee once they're in the store, since our district manager mentioned it would be a nice thing to do for the people waiting for Wiis, so of course that means "If you value your job here, you WILL make these people coffee", so my last task of the day was scrubbing out the groaty, crud-encrusted coffee urn in the breakroom. It disgusting.

Yawn. I tired. I sleep now. Then I stuff my face. Then I sleep more.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Okay, I'm amused...

18 Wii's guaranteed? That doesn't sound like much of a guarantee to me, I gotta say. That's just a bit more than nothing. Are Wii's that tight in the US? In Germany, you can get'em everywhere.
    You gotta polish a memory like a stone. Chip off the parts that remind you it was just a game. Work it until it's indistinguishable from any other memory.

Comment

I can't believe I am admitting this here..*sigh* so embarassing.....

I stood in line at Target for a Wii a few months ago.....I went on a Sat and the very very helpful employee told be where they would be on Sunday.....I figured, meh, I don't wanna stand in line.....I'll get it some other time.

Well, Sunday morn one of my cats woke us up real early...we couldn't get back to sleep, so we went to Target....the employees were very cool, no line fighting, all us idiot customers joked about how foolish we were.

But 18 Wiis on Thanksgiving....ikes......scary scary....and stores open on T-day....those poor employees....
      "Getting to the top is optional. Getting down is mandatory." _Ed Viesturs
      "Love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking, and don't settle" Steve Jobs

Comment

Are these Wii's gold plated, super special, discounted massively? Why the hell would you be lining up for one?
        If I dropped everybody who occasionally said something stupid from my list of potential partners, I wouldn’t even be able to masturbate

Comment

People ought to wait until Wii's are available all over the place before they wait outside in the cold in the wee hours of the morning acting like the biggest SC's in the world.

Comment

I plan on going out this February to claim my own wii-wii after I get my tax returns. When that happens you better not grab my wii-wii or I'll kick your ass!

Comment

But

Quoth Bright_Star View Post
              People ought to wait until Wii's are available all over the place before they wait outside in the cold in the wee hours of the morning acting like the biggest SC's in the world.
              They have been in short supply for two years now in North America!

Comment

After reading the OP, I don't feel quite as pathetic for waking up at 7 am, checking my message boards, then watching Judge Judy and Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory with my cats, and going back to sleep.
                I was not hired to respond to those voices.

Comment

Over here in the UK, Wiis are very popular but every store that can sell them still has them in stock, they have been out for long enough surely, why are so many american stores out of them? Or is it a Nintendo small supply = big demand marketing plan again.

Comment

Back in the holiday season of 2006, just after the Wii launched, my store did a thing where were having a big weekend sale and the flyer said guaranteed Wiis on hand.

Here's the kicker. The number of Wii's they sent us? 2.

Yes that's right. TWO FUCKING WII's!

Now I understand supply was tight and that's probably all they could get but come on! Why bother even advertising it???
                    "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

As I sit here this morning with my coffee waiting on the last of my rolls to cook before heading to the in-laws I have the news on. There are people in line for Best Buy already!!! Absolutely unbelievable. My condolences and best wishes to anyone who has to deal with those people tomorrow.

"You'd feel a Hell of a lot better if you'd just rip into the occasional customer."
                      ~Clerks

Comment

Quoth Canarr View Post
                        Are Wii's that tight in the US?
                        Yeah, kinda. There had been a period where we were getting in 2 units here, 4 units there on our trucks and they must've sold quickly.

2 or 3 years since they first came out and the supply here is still tight. I wish Nintendo would produce more just so I don't have to deal with these people anymore.
                        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Wiis are a funny thing. Sometimes they are impossible to find and sometimes I see 50 to 60 on the shelves at a time in Best Buy. I haven't gotten one yet because I don't have enough room. I will pick one up when I move to Orlando and have more space

Comment

Will the Hot Coffee be of the Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas variety?

Hey....It had to be asked.....
                            Bark like a chicken!

Comment

Out where I am (East Bay, CA) the Game Stops and similar stores have had Wiis in stock pretty consistently for the last couple of weeks. I'd buy one, but I'm still unemployed.
                              The Case of the Missing Mandrake; A Jude Derry, Sorceress Sleuth Mystery Available on Amazon.

Comment

Working...
                              X