This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You wont give me a discount!!!!!

I have one big advantage, I work for myself. There is just me nobody else.

Had a chap ring this afternoon wanted three domain names and hosting on each for a year.

No problem nice and easy, I stated the price and he asked for a discount, now when ever anybody asks for a discount I utter one word in reply and thats "WHY?"

He uttered the imortal words "well the other person there said I could have a discount"

I asked him if he had the persons name and of course he said no, not surprising really as there is just me!!!

The he demanded to speak to somebody higher as he knew the owner of the company.

Do you? I replied.

Indeed I do was the answer and if you value your job you will give me a discount.

Well I replied as you say you know the owner of the company perhaps you can tell me where we met each other, because I am the owner!!!!

A short period of swearing and I disconnected the call.

Oh the pleasures of a day!!!
    Robert
    Peterborough Cambridgeshire

Quoth RobertM View Post
    Well I replied as you say you know the owner of the company perhaps you can tell me where we met each other, because I am the owner!!!!

Can we all say 'pwned'? It's the little things that keep you going!
    "I'll probably come round and steal the food out of your fridge later too, then run a key down the side of your car as I walk away from your house, which I've idly set ablaze" - Mil Millington

Comment

I've always wanted to work for myself, so I could tell dumbshits where to shove it. I'm glad someone gets to do that, and that the asses of world get shot down once in a while.
      Excuse me, good sir paladin, can you direct me to your EVIL district?

http://www.dywhcomic.com

Comment

Quoth RobertM View Post

Do you? I replied.
        I just imagined Stewie Griffin saying that. XD

Man, that's gotta be awesome. You can't get in trouble for it... the dream of everyone here.
        "For the love of all that is holy and 4 things that aren’t but feel pretty good anyway" ~ Gravekeeper

Comment

The he demanded to speak to somebody higher as he knew the owner of the company.
          slightly off topic (just slightly tho) but you'll probably like this one...
          One of the tactical sites my boyfriend likes has a brick-and-mortar store too... and a customer came in and went up to the person behind the register and said, "I know Chris. Can I have a discount?" ... As you can probably guess, Chris himself was manning the register that day. He got a kick out of that one and even made up a "I know Chris" t-shirt.

Comment

It is so gratifying when you can knock those A**holes of their pedistal.

I bet you were high for the rest of the day I know I would be

There are so few opportunities to get one back on SC's - enjoy the moment
            "When did you get a gold plated toilet?"
            "We don't have a gold plated toilet"
            "Oh dear, I think I just peed in your Tuba"

-Jasper Fforde

Comment

If I ever get to the point of employing staff in my own business, they will be made explicitly aware that should I offer any friends a discount, I will personally be processing their purchases myself, and anyone who says "I know One-Fang, can I get a discount" can be told where to get off.

In fact, I think I'd encourage them to respond "I am One-Fang" even though they're not. It's not like those douchebags know, anyway.

Comment

Quoth One-Fang View Post
                In fact, I think I'd encourage them to respond "I am One-Fang" even though they're not. It's not like those douchebags know, anyway.
                Do it on multiple registers at once, get an "I am Spartacus" thing going.

Comment

There are a few places in nearby <big city> where I really do know the owner(s), but I would never presume to ask for a discount. One place in particular, I tease that they would be more likely to charge me double than to give me a discount!
                  Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

I know a convenience store where I do, in fact, know the owners, and they do give me a discount.

When I go in there and they're not staffing it at the moment, I pay full price. It has never even occured to me to say "I know the owners, can I get a discount?" Frankly, I'm still pleasantly surprised they even give me one personally when they are serving themselves.

Comment

http://www.customerssuck.com/strip/i...ate=2006-10-30

Rapscallion

Comment

*snerk*

Most appropriate for this thread.
                        Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

I know a lot of people who own businesses. It would never occur to me to ask for a discount. Why?

Because most of the business owners I know aren't rich. They have to be sure that revenues will meet costs and many will pay themselves last so they can pay their employees and their bills first.

Even a very prosperous and well-run business can go down the tubes if there is change in the economy, a rise in rent, or any number of factors outside of the owner's control.

So anyone who thinks knowing the owner *entitles* them to a discount, probably doesn't know the owner very well. A true friend would always expect to pay full price and have the grace to be surprised and grateful any time a discount happens to be given.
                          The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Comment

^^ Agree. I've been shopping at my Friendly Neighborhood Game store for years, and am friends with management and cordial with the owner. I've never asked for a discount. Really have never thought about it. I've taken one a time or two when offered, but I consider it tacky to ask.

Comment

Working...
                            X