Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It... It just isn't physically possible.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It... It just isn't physically possible.

Ok, a little background.
    A varifocal 9also known as trifocal) is a kind of lens that allows you to have three areas of vision in the same lens. Distance at the top, and taking up most of the lens, intermediate which is computer use etc in the middle, and reading at the bottom. Even the best needs a certain minimum amount of space in the frame, otherwise... well, your eye can't adjust to the change in magnification quick enough and it causes you problems. Got that?

Then why didn't this woman? She had a varifocal, and a cheap one. A cheap varifocal gives you a limited amount of vision and a lot of blurred vision at the edges, and it needs a larger frame. She didn't want to spend more than £49 on her lens, but she wanted no blurred areas and a really tiny frame. Like- my finger width tiny.

THERE IS NO VARIFOCAL MADE THAT WILL FIT INTO THAT. IF THERE WAS IT WOULD GIVE YOU MOTION SICKNESS AND HEADACHES.

and of course, because it's not PHYSICALLY POSSIBLE it;s my fault and I am offering 'bad customer service' and 'trying to get her to buy the more expensive one'.

Yes. I don't earn commission, but to line my own pockets I am trying to get you to not buy something that doesn't even exist.

Get that logic if you can.
    Deepak Chopra says, "Fear deprives people of choice. Fear shrinks the world into isolated, defensive enclaves. Fear spirals out of control. Fear makes everyday life seem clouded over with danger.

Yep

Used to see it all the time at the computer store.

Strange thing, they always wanted something that their 'genius' friend told them was available but no one working in the store (up to 20 employees) every heard of. Even, stranger was if we tried to direct them to another competing store in Toronto (over 30 miles away) that might be able to help them then we were trying to 'rip them off'.

I never understood how you 'rip someone off' if you send them to spend their money at a business that have zero connection to your own.

Comment

kickbacks from the competition of course

cos it's easier to imagine that instead of admitting that what you want isn't possible

Comment

Now now, you should know that what a customer wants supercedes the laws of physics...
        "I'll probably come round and steal the food out of your fridge later too, then run a key down the side of your car as I walk away from your house, which I've idly set ablaze" - Mil Millington

Comment

she wants multifocal at $100 us? HA! I spend 100 on my plain old lenses! well, ok, I have a touch of astygmatism, but not so much I can't wear lenses.

Comment

Oh, you are going to HATE what I'm about to tell you.
            The opticians I work at is good, but cheap. WE INCLUDE THE COST of basic lenses in our frames. You bay NOTHING extra. Zilch.

You can get a pair of complete glasses for as little as $50US.

Our Bifocals start at £35 ($70US) extra, varifocals from $100 extra.

We also run a two for one, so two pairs for the price of one.

And we STILL get people complaining about prices.
            Deepak Chopra says, "Fear deprives people of choice. Fear shrinks the world into isolated, defensive enclaves. Fear spirals out of control. Fear makes everyday life seem clouded over with danger.

Comment

ginger, that's beyond a bargain, since the cheapest ones i've ever had were about $150, and that's back in 1978. (thank god for contact lenses)

i'd be ecstatic to pay that small a price!
              look! it's ghengis khan!
              Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

And, because of my working there I get a free pair every year and 75% off everything else...

So I got a pair of designer glasses (£125/$250) glare reducing treatment (£30/$60) and colour changing lenses (£49/$99) for nothing.

Comment

and I am the only person I know that still wants the BIGGEST lenses possible! I have my opticians well-trained, though. I can tell them only that I need new frames, and they know exactly what to order for me.
                  Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

Now if only I could find an extremely affordable method of getting overseas I could save a bundle on my glasses

Comment

This is why I order my glasses online
                      Otaku

Comment

I'm sort-of overdue for an optician's appointment. I got new glasses just before I moved over here, and I haven't been to a Finnish optician since. Fortunately my eyes don't change quickly, and I made sure to get a very good pair, with anti-scratch coating, that has lasted well.

Comment

Quoth prb View Post
                          This is why I order my glasses online
                          I don't, because I know all the stuff they have to do to make sure you can actually see through them properly.

You have to do a pupil measurement, mainly, and the amount of ones bought online we get in where the measurements are just... wrong and we have to remake them is astounding.

Comment

Quoth Chanlin View Post
                            Now if only I could find an extremely affordable method of getting overseas I could save a bundle on my glasses
                            Unfortunately the cost of living is pretty high, even in my tiny, low waged high unemployment city.

Minimum wage is £5.65 an hour, I'm on about £6.50. Before tax. After it works out about £4.00. Sounds great, right? Our rent ALONE is £500 a month- and our place is very small.

Comment

Damn - I'm only paying just a little over that for a mortgage.

Rapscallion

Comment

Working...
                              X