Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I caught someone about to steal today!

I was doing my nightly cash pick-ups from registers today, when I saw a man put two full re-useable bags on the belt of a closed register. I had that "gut feeling" that he was in the process of stealing, so I went over and stood at that register, pretending to clean. The register was blocked with a cart, so he couldn't just walk out with them. As I quickly went behind the closed register, he just strolled through an open register, not purchasing anything. He turned towards where he'd left the bags, where I was standing, then quickly turned and walked about 10 metres away. He stood there, casually watching me.

Meanwhile, I looked at him so I could describe him later, then called over a passing supervisor. I quietly told her that a guy had put the bags there and was standing nearby. She was being really slow and almost refused to stand there while I came around so we could each carry a bag over to the service desk. Then she finally she gets it and we take the bags over. (The bags each had another bag flat on top, covering the items inside, and the handles were tied. That's what looked really, really suss to me.)

We pull out the cold items and she goes to put them back on the shelf (everything was still very cold, he must have been in a hurry). The guy walks in and around the desk, obviously seeing that we had his two bags there. Not that they were "his" - he'd picked them up inside the store. He then walks down to the other end of the store, and then I can't see him anymore, so I call the duty manager to the desk. Meanwhile I'm keeping my eye out for him.

I describe him to the duty manager and he walks in that direction, then comes back to confirm the description. It's him. So the manager goes over and gives a friendly greeting, and a "can I help you find anything in particular?" The guy says "you think I'm going to steal something?" then puts down the two bags he's holding and leaves.

You know what we found in the two new bags? He'd filled them each about halfway with the exact same items as before! What an idiot!!!

So, that was my excitement for the day. I'm very pleased with myself for stopping that theft. And I wouldn't even have been downstairs if the capsule shoot wasn't broken, thus forcing me to "manually" move cash around the store!

And, the original contents of the bags included:
    1. One tub of yogurt, 5 or 6 packs of salmon, milk drinks, small packs of deli meats, a razor, coffee, a microwave meal and a loaf of bread.
    2. Cucumber, carrots, capsicum, tomatos, and other fresh produce items.

Clearly stealing for himself and not for profit. I just wonder how long he's been getting away with it?
    Michael: Maybe you'll be inspired by the boat party tonight and start a career as a pirate.
    Tobias: I haven't packed for that.
    <3 Arrested Development

Quoth sarahj View Post

- He stood there, casually watching me.

- The guy walks in and around the desk, obviously seeing that we had his two bags there.

- "you think I'm going to steal something?" then puts down the two bags he's holding and leaves.

- You know what we found in the two new bags? He'd filled them each about halfway with the exact same items as before! What an idiot!!!
    *gasp* the audacity of some people. He sees you looking at him, he sees that you took his first two bags and then he GOES BACK to fill two new bags? Wow! That takes balls.
    "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

Quoth sarahj View Post
      So the manager goes over and gives a friendly greeting, and a "can I help you find anything in particular?" The guy says "you think I'm going to steal something?" then puts down the two bags he's holding and leaves.
      The reply that I would LOVE to be able to give, were I ever in that position: "Why, no, sir: I only SUSPECTED that you were stealing. Having you CONFIRM it for me like that makes throwing you out SO much easier."

There's more than one reason that I don't actually work retail.

Comment

Working...
      X