This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Customer who would not take no for an answer complained I was rude

Visitor Parking was reserved today, & the open sign was on because there is a problem with the software that was installed to control the gates & the open sign in front of the garage that can be changed to full.

Last month I noticed that when the open sign in front of Visitor Parking was changed from open to full for reserved events, it would not switch back to full after letting guests on the event list in with the remote I use when the full sign is on. One of the guys from IT came down to log into the software that controls the gates in front of Visitor Parking as well as the open sign. He could not get the software to work properly. Someone from the company that installed the gates as well as the sign came to the campus to see if he could fix the problem with the sign. He could not. The software was installed by a different company. The IT guy told me that the software that controls the gates as well as the open sign is not working properly. Campus parking was made aware of the problem since that dept. is over the gates as well as the open sign. Visitor Parking/Community Relations, the dept. I report to, was also notified.

The director of Visitor Parking/Community Relations, Kim, told me that if anyone insists on entering the garage when it is reserved, I am to tell them that they will receive a parking ticket from campus police. I wish the Parking office would have someone fix the software so the open sign can be changed to full, & it would not change to open again.

Here is what happened:
    I am paraphrasing what the customer said

fc: female customer
    me: me

fc: "I am here to see Admissions, & I was told I could park in the garage."
    me: "I''m so sorry, but even though the open sign is on every open parking spot is already reserved & already paid for & so I need to direct anyone needing to park to either park at the metered lot across the street, at the lot on North Main Street, or at the lot at Main & Commerce street since I cannot allow anyone to enter the garage."
    fc: "So where can I park?"
    me: "other parking is available at the metered lot behind you, at the lot on North Main Street, or at the lot at Main & Commerce street."
    fc: "Well... I don't come here that often & I do not know how to get to the other lots."
    me: "Meter parking is right behind your car. If you go around the booth & exit, it is right across the street."
    fc: "I would rather park here since my appt. is very soon & I was told I could park in the garage. I will only be here for 30 minutes."
    me: "I'm so sorry, but dept. guidelines prevent me from allowing anyone to enter the garage. You will receive a parking ticket from campus police if you do enter the garage."
    fc: "How about 25 minutes, is that ok? I will not be parked in the garage for too long."
    me: "I'm so sorry, but bottom line is I cannot bend the rules for anyone. You will receive a parking ticket from campus police if you do enter the garage"
    fc: "Oh, that's ok, I'll pay the fine."
    me: "I will raise the gate for you, but you will receive a parking ticket from campus police if you do enter the garage."

So the customer entered the garage. I received a phone call from Kim's assistant, Melinda, stating that the customer complained to her that I was rude to her & that my behavior was out of line.

What else could have I done or said?

Kept the gate closed. You could get in trouble for letting her in.
    "For the love of all that is holy and 4 things that aren’t but feel pretty good anyway" ~ Gravekeeper

Comment

Give the A-hole your supervisor's phone #!!

Comment

Working...
      X