Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay, sorry, but I just don't consider relatives or friends or managers of celebrities celebrities themselves, even if some of them do. Metallica's former manager's daughter? Not in any way a celebrity. Sorry, she may think she is, and she is probably a pain in the ass, but if you have to grasp that thin a straw to feel important...you're not that important to begin with.

Hell, my best friend in the world's maiden name is Henson. Before she got married, she would always get people thinking they were funny asking, "Oh, as in Jim Henson, the Muppets guy? Are you related to him? Ha ha ha."

Actually...she is.

Distant cousin, but he (when he was alive) and Robin (his son, the guy who currently runs the Muppet empire) would both certainly know who she was. I have fun with it when people ask that kind of stuff, but she doesn't really think it's a big deal at all. Because she knows that that in no way makes her a celebrity. I mean she is to ME, and to her HUSBAND, of course, but she is not a celebrity in the usual sense of the word!

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
    Still A Customer."

Comment

I've never dealt with any celebrity customers, CS or otherwise, but when I worked at the book/music/video store I presided over several booksignings (some by real authors!). The ones I recall:

--Kinky Friedman. Great guy, very entertaining.

--Robert Shapiro. Quite a gentleman. Didn't get ruffled when a jerk college journalist asked him an incredibly rude and off-topic question.

--Naomi Judd. Very sweet and down-to-earth.

--Tanya Tucker. Ditto.

--Clive Cussler. Very gracious to the staff and customers.

--Cindy Crawford. Incredible diva. She had a huge list of demands. We had to rent a quarter-million dollar RV for her to "retire" to in case the demands of signing books for two hours got to be too much. We had to pay for catered food for herself and her entourage. The home office had a wooden dais that it sent to different stores for celebrity events, and we were required to build a step to it.

--Jeff Foxworthy. Nicest celebrity I've met, hands down. He was scheduled to stay for one hour, stayed for five, and signed the book of everyone who'd stood in line to meet him, and then stayed to meet the staff afterwards. That day was funny because our A/C went out in part of the store and people were getting testy about standing in line. Two women got into a knock-down drag-out fight over spots in line. You might be a redneck if...

--Emmitt Smith. Total jerk: did not interact with the fans at all. Some people waited in line for 12 hours to meet this guy. He never took off his sunglasses, and if anyone said anything to him, his handlers would cut them off and say, "Mr. Smith isn't answering any questions." We learned later he was trying to set some sort of record for number of autographs.

I used to say after those years that I couldn't think of anyone I'd wait in line to meet. Experience proved me wrong; some years ago I went to AggieCon in College Station, Texas, and had the grand pleasure of meeting Neil Gaiman and having my picture taken with him. I had made an "Endless" charm bracelet which he at least pretended to be impressed with. Later, I attended his reading of "Coraline." Incredibly gracious and personable.

This was in the days before I got my digital camera. I had a Samsung 35mm that had a formidably bright flash. I asked my friend to take my picture with Mr. Gaiman. Neil was a bit dazzled by the flash, and when he signed my hardback copy of "Stardust," he drew an adorable doodle of Dream with little stars around his head, as though blinded by a flash.
      He loves the world...except for all the people.
      --Men at Work

Comment

Quoth powerboy View Post
        I have also met Vic Mignogna.
        I love Vic! Hes such a nice guy, hes a regular on the con circuit here. Same with Tiffany Grant and Johnny Yong Bosch. Even though I *don't* like Matt Greenfield, the whole ADV crew is just nice as can be. Same with the Funi crew.

Comment

I've only had one celebrity sc at my coffee shop, a local morning show guy, he was very rude, treated me like he didn't want to have anything to do with 'little' people, and didn't even bother to leave a tip... if you're on tv you can throw a nickle in my tip jar.

We've had a lot of hockey players being right beside one of the hotels they stay at when they are in town. Yserman and Hasek have been by, both very nice. The GM of the Mighty Ducks is also very pleasent and very generous and apparently exactly like he is on TV, and everyone in the area always has great things to say about the Flames in general, they once even gave a homeless guy $50 and a spare jersey, which i thought was very very kind of them.

Comment

I haven't met many celebrities. However, I did get introduced to Blaise Winter when he was still playing for the Chargers. At the time, my father was working for the Cleft Palate foundation here in Pittsburgh...and somehow got Blaise to be their spokesperson. Anyway, he was an all-around nice guy.
            Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

This didn't happen to me, but it's probably the coolest celeb. encounter convention story I've ever heard. A friend told me about it.

He was at a gaming convention of some sort, sitting in one of the side rooms. He runs games at a lot of the local cons. Anyway, he's getting set up for a game and chatting with some friends, and one of them breaks out the age-old Klingon lightbulb joke. "How many Klingons does it take to change a lightbulb?"

At that EXACT MOMENT, Michael Dorn (Worf) pokes his head in the door, and in his Worf voice, he says: "None. Klingons are not afraid of the dark." Then he walks away.

Coolest. Moment. Evar.

I haven't had any celeb encounters at work yet, but I expect that if I work in a yarn store long enough, I will. I've met a bunch of politicians in my time, since my father used to work in politics, but I wouldn't know how to describe most of them, except to say that they're politicians.

Funny story: I met Dianne Feinstein when I was about ten, and she gave me the usual shpeel of "Work hard, and maybe someday it'll be you sitting at this desk!" I, who had already seen too much of politics in my short life to EVER want to be a part of it, got this really horrified expression and blurted out: "Dear god, I hope not!" She was stunned for a moment, and then burst out laughing.

Comment

Quoth coffeecow18 View Post
                everyone in the area always has great things to say about the Flames in general, they once even gave a homeless guy $50 and a spare jersey, which i thought was very very kind of them.
                Oh, those Flames: ass-kickers on the ice, and philanthropists off it. How could you not love them?
                I pray for the strength to change what I can, the inability to change what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference -Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes

Being a pessimist and cynical wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't right so often!

Comment

Quoth Arachne View Post
                  At that EXACT MOMENT, Michael Dorn (Worf) pokes his head in the door, and in his Worf voice, he says: "None. Klingons are not afraid of the dark." Then he walks away.

Coolest. Moment. Evar.
                  I now officially hate your friend the jealousy is overwhelming!

Back on topic, I've never had any sucky shlebs as customers, but I did work with a minor celebrity back in the CD Store - he was the lead guitarist for a kind of well known (locally) goth band. He was awesome. If you wanted to know anything about 80's music, he was your man!
                  The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

I got permission from my mother to tell these.

A backstory: Before I was born, my mom used to own a small time catering company that made food for bands. She disbanded her little project after I was born. She did meet some huge celebrities though.

My mom catered for U2 quite a bit. She met them before they became big. They were always nice to everyone, and when I was born they actually bought a stuffed lamb, signed, and read "Congradulations on the birth of your son." My mom loved working for them and they requested her everytime they came to her area for her food.

Mom also made food for the Clash. The Clash were another band she liked working for, she said they were nice to everyone also and actually got stuck in an elevator with them at one point.

Mum also got to work for Prince during the days when he was BIG. Now as we all know Prince is a little weird but my mom talked to him a lot and she did say he is weird but he is very intelligent, creative, and the nicest person you could ever meet. In terms of weirdness, he requested a baby grand piano in of the showers at an arena in the city. My mom said one of the coolest things anyone ever did was when he threw a party at one of the best restaurants in town for all the employees and took the time to talk to everyone. My mom loved working with him.

Another group she worked with was Judas Priest, very down to Earth guys, thanking my mom constantly and praising her cooking. She was also requested constantly by the band for her food.

My mom also worked for Eurythmics, the band that did the song Sweet Dreams. she met Annie Lennox and is also very nice and actually signed a poster of a Rolling Stone cover with her face on it. We still have it somewhere.

My mom also met Sting but it was a complete accident. She accidently stepped on his foot. He was nice about it and is a very smart man.

She also got to meet Billy Joel and Elton John, both were nice and just enjoyed themselves constantly.

Some of the SCs:

Joan Jett was in my mom's words "The defintion of bitch." She was rude to everyone and demanded everything to be done on the spot.

Iggy Pop, not so much sucky but just weird. He was in a constant drug haze that he needed arrows taped to the floor so he could see where he was going.

Overall, that is basiacally my mom and her celebrity moments, she's been in the entertainment business for a while and now works at the arena. Just doesn't escape my immediate family.

I did get to meet Gordie Howe, who is the hockey idol and a very nice and gentle person. Got an autograph from him too. Also, for those who are Detroit Tigers fans, I met Mickey Lolich, a pitcher from the 1966 team. He used to run a donut shop in my town and would be happy to sign autographs. Quite a funny guy.
                    The Grand Galactic Inquisitor hears all and sees all.

Comment

Quoth ArenaBoy View Post

Mum also got to work for Prince during the days when he was BIG. Now as we all know Prince is a little weird but my mom talked to him a lot and she did say he is weird but he is very intelligent, creative, and the nicest person you could ever meet. In terms of weirdness, he requested a baby grand piano in of the showers at an arena in the city. My mom said one of the coolest things anyone ever did was when he threw a party at one of the best restaurants in town for all the employees and took the time to talk to everyone. My mom loved working with him.
                      So, did he serve pancakes after a pickup game?

Comment

Quoth ArenaBoy View Post
                        Also, for those who are Detroit Tigers fans, I met Mickey Lolich, a pitcher from the 1966 team. He used to run a donut shop in my town and would be happy to sign autographs. Quite a funny guy.
                        He may have been on the '66 team, but it was in '68 that he was the world series MVP.

(I feel sorry for Yankees fans. They're never going to know the thrill of having that breakout year after years of suffereing along with your team.)

Comment

Joan Jett was in my mom's words "The defintion of bitch." She was rude to everyone and demanded everything to be done on the spot.
                          She was playing in town charging 40 bucks a ticket. I thought that was kinda prudish since I saw Pat Benetar a few years ago performing at an outdoor concert for free.

Comment

I met Joan Jett at a recording session for Bikini Kill. She was pretty cool.

Courtney Love punched my best friend in the face for an imagined slur against her. She pressed charges and made Coutney go to Ephrata, Washington (a one-horse dump) to go to court.

I dog-sat for a Beaste Boy and a Le Tigre singer. I got to chat with most of them, and sleep in their studio, in their house. They are all smart, kind and professional. I got to look at his really extensive record and equipment collection, and bop around SoHo. Looking back, I'm sort of embarrassed about how much I talked to the Beastie Boys--I couldn't keep my yapper shut. Because I talk too much. But regardless, it was a great experience for me.

Comment

Quoth coffeecow18 View Post
                              and everyone in the area always has great things to say about the Flames in general, they once even gave a homeless guy $50 and a spare jersey, which i thought was very very kind of them.

mmmmm...Was Rene Corbet one of those Flames? or was it after he was sent to Pittsburgh...then Germany *sighs* Or was this prior to the great Theo Fleury/Rene Corbet trade?

I was talking about this to my mommy, and she remembered that she had met Janet Jackson on her Rhythm Nation tour. She said she was very nice, but painfully shy. Sadly, thats not the first time Ive heard that about Janet.

Comment

Quoth KamenRiderOsaka View Post
                                She said she was very nice, but painfully shy. Sadly, thats not the first time Ive heard that about Janet.
                                Well, considering who she's related to, I can see why
                                Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Working...
                                X